What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take me for a ride in a RV-7, Please! (Gilbert AZ)

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am traveling back home next week to Arizona (Gilbert/Chandler area). I am finishing up my wings and getting ready to order the fuse and I still have not decided to build a tail dragger or a tri!! My question is would any one be willing to take me for a ride who is in the Gilbert/Chandler/Mesa area? I would love to get a ride in both. Lunch and gas is obviously on me!!! I have been in a -6 briefly and flew in a 9 at OSH last year but have never been in a -7. Cant wait to get back to AZ for a bit of leave.

Thanks for considering.

Hey! Me TOO! looking for a ride-fuel donation. I am on the same fence, wings done and have to decide on the fuse kit, never did a tail dragger but I like the look and slight increase in performance. So if I may, is the tail wheel endorsement a big deal or not.....

I am needing to make the decision as well at some point.

Many wiser before me have told me to get a quote on insuring a Dragon Tail over a Trike and then ask how many hours it takes to make the premiums closer.

You may find that the cost to insure and required experience may make the decision for you. I plan to have my IR done to cut some of the costs to offset the Dragon as I get closer to give me more options...but time will tell.

Good luck on your decision making.

I'll take you

Hey Jeremy,

I'll give you a ride in my 7. I'm at Stellar airpark in Chandler. The only problem, I go back to work tomorrow through Thursday. I can take you next Friday.

Call me next week and we'll work out the details. 480-204-0662

Jeremy, can you explain why you are concerned about the taildragger? Are you checked out in taildraggers?

I learned to fly in a Cessna 140 and had issues but have flown several other taildraggers. I have never flown a RV taildragger yet hear that they may be easier than some taildraggers.

Here are my thoughts

Jeremy, can you explain why you are concerned about the taildragger? Are you checked out in taildraggers?

I learned to fly in a Cessna 140 and had issues but have flown several other taildraggers. I have never flown a RV taildragger yet hear that they may be easier than some taildraggers.

Here is my background:
I have never flown a tail dragger!!!!! I am currently an Evaluator qualified T-6 pilot (the new one) I have over 3000 hours, almost all military, 1500 in a C-17 and another 1000 in a T-6. The T-6 has a 96? 4 blade prop attached to a 1100 HP PT-6a turbo prop engine, it is a torque monster and we are constantly on the rudders so I am confident in my ability to use my feet while flying.

Here are my thoughts on the +?s and negatives.

Tail dragger +?s
Better performance
I think the tail dragger, IMHO looks better.
Slightly less construction costs
I would be more confident in its ability to operate on something other than concrete.
Also, I have to admit, the design of the nose wheel concerns me. I know a lot has to do with pilot technique, but I believe that if it can happen to them then it can happen to me.

A model +?s
ALL of my experience is in Tri?s, would make for easier transition.
The positive dynamic stability appeals to me
Lower insurance? Anyone know if insurance companies will looks at all experience or will they focus on tail wheel time?

Thanks to everyone for helping me make my decision. All thoughts are welcome.

Jeremy, I am not an instructor, nor do I play one on the internet, but it sounds like you need to take taildragger RV transition training before making your decision.

I would also call your insurance agent of choice and get rough cost info on rates versus tailwheel time.

Last edited:
just do it.

The only difference in a taildragger or tri-gear is how you *walk* up to the plane, either with the swagger or toting that list-o-excuses.

If it helps, I built the -7 with no prior td time. I had to retrain my feet, do extra transition training, and pay more insurance $$ in year one. After all the time and effort building, it's just another gate to get through.

tail dragger...

It is more fun to learn something new... lot's of other good reasons but the bottom line is; if you pine for one now you will ALWAYS look back with regret if you don't go for it ;)

I can't offer a ride yet, but from my recent RV-8 buying experience (not yet complete, been a journey), here are some numbers and my perspective FWIW. First, I only have 200 FW hrs, 80 of which is glider, and only 20 or so is TW time (I'll have over 25 by the end of transition training, which seemed to be the magic number for some insurance companies as a reference if you do decide on a TW). My insurance quotes range from $1500-$2200 (and one at $3500) for an $80k -8 annually. After the first year it should be down to $1200-$1500 assuming I fly the plane and get a lot more TW time. I didn't get quotes for an -8A, so I don't know how that would have compared.

Training requirements per the insurance companies range from an approved CFI signing me off (no min time) in an RV, to 5 hrs of dual, to 10 hrs of dual. They seemed most interested in TW time but your overall FW time should make your mins relatively low.

Get some cheap TW time (endorsement is easy to get) then do transition training and the additional cost of a TW will be a drop in the bucket compared to owning/operating costs. After initial cost, hangar, insurance, maintenance, taxes, fuel, oil, overhauls, upgrades, what's a little more $$ for TW training. After flying a TW, I would never get a tri unless it was a -10. TWs were frustrating at first when I kept bouncing and got into PIOs, but I got the TW bug after flying a few and getting used to it.

Definitely worth it to at least get your TW endorsement before you make a decision if you can. You'll have a new appreciation for the rudder and some challenges/fun along the way.

Also, take up RV7Guy (Darwin) on his offer if you can deconflict schedules. He gave me a ride a few weeks ago when I was visiting Chandler. Definitely worth it. He's a great guy, has an awesome -7, and a sweet -7 project.

I currently fly a 7A. I miss TW. There is no issues with the 7A and if you learn the proper technique with the 7A it will be safe as any. Basically the same is true for the 7 although you can be surprised on occasion due to a gust at the wrong time. These are light aircraft with large tails to weather vane, although you have plenty of power and rudder control surface.

The 7 looks better on the ground than the 7A and the 7 skips those ugly entry steps which may cost you half a knot.

The 7A is easy to land perfect every time and in shorter distance due to the earlier braking option in the landing. Also, 7A's sell better.

Mike Seager, Van's transition training instructor, (17,000 hours) says that he believes either the 7 or 7A are both just as vulnerable for an off airport/rough field landing.

Insurance has been brought up and will cost you much more, initially, with the tailwheel.
My 7A insurance is $678 annually.

Really the difference is only applies to:
1) Insurance costs initially
2) Ground handling
3) Looks on the ground

Do the one you like the best.

Last edited:
build what YOU want to fly

Just another perspective from my experience; I built a tri-gear (-6A) because I had no tailwheel experience when I started the build and had doubts about learning to fly a tailwheel when my experience (MUCH more limited than yours) was all tri-gear.

My build took 12+ years, partially because during the build I bought a Cessna 140, got my tailwheel endorsement in that plane, and flew it while building for 5+ years. Way too late at that point to change my -6A to -6 without spending more money and stretching out the build even more....so pressed on.
I'm very happy with my -6A and having a great time flying it, but if I build again would probably go -7 just because I like the way they look and am confident that with the proper training, I can handle flying it.

I think you'll love either plane, but if you're interested in taildraggers then go get a tailwheel endorsement (you'll find it's not a super-human/pilot feat, just a new skill) and see if that's what you want.

I was a very low time pilot when I started to build (barely over 100 hours) and relative to your hours, still am a low time pilot (around 750 now)...with transition training, I don't think you'll have an issue and the insurance difference especially after first year of tailwheel time isn't a big enough difference in my opinion to drive the decision.

Back