What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEDs for Gretz Heated Pitot Tube

mgomez

Well Known Member
This is a question for those who are flying with the Gretz heated pitot tube. As you know, it comes with 3 LEDs to tell you whether the thermostatically-controlled heater is working.

Do you use the LEDs? Are you glad you installed them?

I'm tempted to leave them off for two reasons:

1) The last thing I need is another bundle of wires coming out of my left wing and having to be routed to the panel,

2) I've flown lots of piston singles that had pitot heat, but none that had any indicator of whether it was working. If in doubt, I looked at the ammeter.

Is this feature worth the wiring effort?

And, please, let's not re-open the you-shouldn't-fly-in-icing flame war. I already know that, but I'm installing a heated pitot anyway.

Thanks,
Martin

Digging up an old thread here as I'm looking for answers for the same questions, anyone have any feedback?

I left them out. It is normal to turn on the heat, watch the amps climb up and then decay off as the tube heated up. This was my test, no LEDs needed.

installed pic

I spent 2000 hours building an airplane, so by definition, I'm not a reliable source to ask if it was worth it to install a few leds. :eek: I've avoided IFR flight thus far, so my gretz leds are still waiting patiently for their turn to provide this pilot with warm and fuzzy knowledge. I think it's a cool feature of the gretz.

6422812047_ea9ce9b62a.jpg

Back