What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Sierra causes radio to squeal

CHI_Pilot

I have an older XCOM VHF radio. It works well with a Bose a20 or David Clark passive headset. However, if I use a Lightspeed Sierra head, the radio squeals when I hit the PTT. Has anyone else experienced this issue with a Lightspeed Sierra headset? Any thoughts as to how to prevent the squeal?

I have an older XCOM VHF radio. It works well with a Bose a20 or David Clark passive headset. However, if I use a Lightspeed Sierra head, the radio squeals when I hit the PTT. Has anyone else experienced this issue with a Lightspeed Sierra headset? Any thoughts as to how to prevent the squeal?

I have (RV-4, Garmin SL30 (intercom off), Lightspeed Sierra). The first time it happened, I had been playing with the receiver settings and I **think** it was related to either the Mic Level or Receiver Squelch settings. Sorry, wish I could remember exactly what I changed to eliminate it.

It happened again just a few days ago. I had used my headset in another airplane and then back to the RV-4. I had little time to troubleshoot but the volume slider controls were at max and I turned them down and adjusted the radio volume - problem went away.

Not much in the way of facts there but maybe something to get you on course.

Turn down the mic gain. A mic muff might also help if you can’t find a gain adjustment.

Back