What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14

Ron B.

Well Known Member
My friend is just starting (40 hrs) to fly his RV-14 (tail dragger) and finds that after touch down the aircraft wants to go to the left. Says it takes a lot of right rudder to compensate. I don't remember noticing this on my 14A but could be on his.
I'm thinking it's perhaps the vertical stabilizer offset (to be honest I don't recall which way it is offset). He asked me to ask here for other people's experience.
Thanks

If it's happening after touchdown, and not before, it's not the vertical stab. Check the gear alignment and tire pressures, and make sure you don't have a brake dragging.

shims are available from Van's to correct wheel alignment. ACS will stock them as well. There are different sizes to choose from. They are not (or were not!) expensive so buy two or three different sizes.

We were quite fussy with the alignment when installing the gear. Purchased the shims and were not satisfied so I milled one and had that wheel prefect (I summed that to beginners luck). The other wheel was well within tolerance with the shim we purchased. Wheel pants are off for winter flying so perhaps a check would be good.
Dragging brake was a thought also.
Thanks

We were quite fussy with the alignment when installing the gear. Purchased the shims and were not satisfied so I milled one and had that wheel prefect (I summed that to beginners luck). The other wheel was well within tolerance with the shim we purchased. Wheel pants are off for winter flying so perhaps a check would be good.
Dragging brake was a thought also.
Thanks

If careful alignment was done during the build, I would suggest a close look at the brakes.

Our RV-14 tracks very straight (even with me flying it :rolleyes:)

An acquaintance of mine had a similar issue, with a different model homebuilt. The tailwheel assembly wasn’t tight enough on the stinger. This caused a bit of movement that allowed the pivot axis to tilt - ever so slightly. If the tailwheel pivoted, the assembly would shift and amplify the pivot. All this made it very difficult to taxi the plane.

An acquaintance of mine had a similar issue, with a different model homebuilt. The tailwheel assembly wasn’t tight enough on the stinger. This caused a bit of movement that allowed the pivot axis to tilt - ever so slightly. If the tailwheel pivoted, the assembly would shift and amplify the pivot. All this made it very difficult to taxi the plane.

I will have him take a look at it, Thanks

. The other wheel was well within tolerance with the shim we purchased. Wheel pants are off for winter flying so perhaps a check would be good.

Thanks
I am curious to learn how one does wheel alignment individually.

Back