What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior engines. What do you think?

gongreg

Hi all,
What is your general opinion on the quality of Superior built engines?
Are Aerosport engines substantially better?
Thank you,
Gregg

about equal

I know opinions may vary on this but both are quality suppliers. I know of lots of folks who have each of them and are happy.

Gary Specketer

Thanx!

Thanks, Gary. I ask because Aerosport is selling a Superior engine with a discount, wich led me to wondering if the differences were "worth the price".
Greg

XP360 from Aerosport

Bought a Superior XP 360 set up for mogas (but never ran any) from Aerosport in 2005 or 6. Flew in 2012 and now have 200 hours. Very strong running engine, no leaks, love the engine, love the service from Aerosport.

I have a superior IO360 forward induction. Originally had the ryton sump but I replaced it when they had issues. They replace it with an aluminum one & they paid me $500 to swap it out. They have great support & I'm very happy with it after 717 hours.

Mogas is your friend

I've got a Superior XP-O360, been flying it since 2007. 100LL in the left tank for takeoff and landings, High Octane Ethanol free auto fuel in the right tank for cruise. Been doing this from day one! Over 650 hrs later and my engine and plane are very happy. Save the money for new toys like the Garmin GDL39 I recently bought and love it.

Good deal.

I just purchased and received one of the Superior XP O-320's through Aerosport. It has the roller lifter technology and is the best deal out there I found on a new experimental engine. Probably a better deal if you go fuel injection because that's the same price, a $4-5k savings over a newly built Superior from aerosport. These engines were built by superior and mine was built in December 2012. The engine is beautiful and the whole process only took a couple weeks.

One Downfall is they are not painted, alodined only, with anodized aluminum adapter parts. As seen on Aerosprt website.

The only thing I dislike is that there is no install manual, and barely an operators manual from Superior. It's for an O-360 actually. You'd think dropping $25k on an engine would come with a decent manual. Figuring out all the port and sensor locations is going to be some serious VAF time!

One unexpected benefit is the engine data plate say 91/96 UL fuel.

Superior IO-320 D2A

... purchased from Aerosport Power in Fall of 2009. At the time I saved nearly $5k over a similar engine built by Aerosport. Runs very strong, no leaks or problems, burns precious little oil, support from Aerosport is stellar. I couldn't be happier.

The only thing I dislike is that there is no install manual, and barely an operators manual from Superior. It's for an O-360 actually. You'd think dropping $25k on an engine would come with a decent manual.

Just call up Superior tech support, tell them you have a XP engine, and they will email you a copy of the manual. I've gotten the operators manual and overhaul manual from them without question.

Great support and great engine.

Not all Superior engines are built by Superior. Mine was built at their build school so technically it's the same (they did all the QA, just as if their people built it). But they also sold the engines as kits. Check log books. That said, whoever built the engine, one built from Superior parts will be better than one built from Lycoming (IMHO). I really wish they had gotten around to making an IO-540 but even before their parent company committed suicide they said they had no plans for one. Oh, well... :(

Back