What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLY Trip to Tenn

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Tomorrow we head east towards Savannah TN, SNH for the annual LLT Fly-In
http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/blog/announcing-the-2013-lady-taildraggers-fly-in/

Here is our loose route, wx permitting.
Leg 1
d4f015b2e80c9f1f3c6649a58b304de0.jpg

With a good push, we can get to Ardmore OK, ADM or 1F0. If the winds are so so, well stop in Wichita Falls TX, F14.
If the winds are really bad we'll stop in BFE. Yes there really is a BFE and it's in Brownfield TX.

We'll get fuel and food and try to make our goal of Murfreesboro TN, MBT for the night to visit old friends.
Leg2
65b88624893e234622e8a7aa36d77513.jpg

We'll hop down to SNH from MBT on Friday and enjoy the weekend of fun.

I'll see if I can do a rolling update as we go. Any places to stop that would be better than another etc, we're always open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Day one, where is BFE?

We awoke at 0400, hoping to get to TN today. Also hoping to outrun the forecast in N TX and W OK.
Overflying Tucson.

null-57.jpg

The downside of flying east early, sun in your eyes. Of course the upside of sun in your eyes....good VFR WX :)

null-58.jpg

We were going along the border towards El Paso and checked wx along the way again with flight watch. They painted a picture that got us considering taking a more southerly route. The winds aloft were pushing us nicely and gave us lots of options.

One of the many great things about having your own plane and a flexible schedule is that you can stick your nose in any direction you want and see how it goes.
We decided to stay on our original route, stop early at BFE so we can top off the fuel and have the best chance of getting way away from the TX, OK WX before the afternoon heat turned all those cute little popcorn clouds into monsters.

We had a furry welcome at BFE. I didn't know this puppy's name so thought "Proppy" would due for our short visit.

null-59.jpg

null-60.jpg

Turns out our decision the stay on course, and also to stop early paid off. Not only did we beat the heat and associated scary monster clouds, we also overflew Wichita Falls TX and Ardmore OK with ease and continued on into Covington TN and excellent WX.

Crossing the muddy Mississippi

null-61.jpg

We were hoping to get in early enough in the day to land at a grass strip just outside of Nashville. I wasn't too keen to try it at night even though it's lighted. Turned out we made it with lots of time and daylight to spare.

null-63.jpg

null-62.jpg

I took many pix, but I guess my phone ate most of them. Sadly these are all the photos that were any good. Sure was a great day of flying.

Last edited:
Friday

We flew down the short trip from Nashville to Savannah TN. No wx issues for us at all. We tied down Pop Tart and set up the tent. We won't need the tent for much now since we opted to " camp" on the lake at Pickwick Lake Lodge, due to the possible wet wx ya know.

The short leg

null-67.jpg

Fnding a parking spot.

null-70.jpg

The gang so far

null-72.jpg

Morning on the ramp

null-74.jpg

null-76.jpg

null-75.jpg

Kind of quiet with all the wx the past days.

Todays poker run route. Looks pretty good eh!

bbd3ef42cc2cee77e431ff032c3def32.jpg

What, what is that?

33bf01c575115082cfcc242e0d0a9232.jpg

d3981e48ac08f339b637ef41ccb1d1ee.jpg

Maybe today we'll all skip the poker run flight and be glad there is a big hangar here for all the planes.

Too bad the weather has been uncooperative this weekend. You missed a good breakfast or lunch at M93 (Houston County) at the Southernaire Restaurant. A local favorite fly in destination in the mid TN area. Took me awhile to find that grass strip north of KMBT. I'll have to do some aerial recon.

LLT Sat improv

Saturday

Saturday and all it's planned poker run flying got washed out, literally.
There were plenty of wx breaks to the south, but the poker run itself and the pre-arranged lunch for 50 was all in the other direction.

null-79.jpg

We went from plane to plane and got a little bit of info about each gal or guy who came to LLT.
null-77.jpg

null-78.jpg

I think most of the gang got in the pic.
null-88.jpg

Some portable entertainment rolling in.

null-81.jpg

Sat night after dinner

null-86.jpg

Sunday, almost home

Sunday

Sunday is looking much better and with the exception of starting out under a bit of a ceiling, the forecast for the rest of the day heading west was just getting better and better.
null-91.jpg

0400 wx had almost moved through. By the time we would leave later in the morning that should all be about cleared to the south.
00f74c9063f7e3574499c20482766cac.jpg

The first part went off pretty well. The second part, not so much. The route was supposed to look like this...
c49a15df85dc0b4cdb952196b22aeb18.jpg

It turned into this......
cbbd5e2827e090b57e4af816e1fb683d.jpg

Courtesy cars along the way. Some with air in the tires, some without.
null-93.jpg

null-94.jpg

null-95.jpg

Until our last fuel stop at E11, a bit east of El Paso.
CAVU here in Andrews TX but ELP is getting slammed with CB's and high winds. No thank you. I am a wimp.
Too bad all the restricted areas are being used this evening. Well not all of them but at least one, and that is one I need to skate through Alamagordo. The North route is also socked in right now.

We're going to tie down the plane with good hatchet knots and hope that ELP wx doesn't bring all it's fury here.

We had talked Fri & Sat about possibly camping on Lake Texoma at Cedar Mills but after seeing all the rain they got the past few days decided not to.
I don't think my wheelpants like mushy sod.

Sunday night as the sun set, one short leg tomorrow.
null-96.jpg

Lunch

Too bad the weather has been uncooperative this weekend. You missed a good breakfast or lunch at M93 (Houston County) at the Southernaire Restaurant. A local favorite fly in destination in the mid TN area. Took me awhile to find that grass strip north of KMBT. I'll have to do some aerial recon.

We sure did miss a good lunch. I got to enjoy it last year and was looking forward to more of the same this time. The wx gods thought Harlem Shake a better lunch I guess.

Last leg home

We discovered many things when we stopped at Andrews County TX.

A dry county can be wet if you ask the right person.
Booking a hotel online isn't always cheaper.
A gas & oil boom makes hotel prices rise substantially.
Self-serve FBO's rock. XBR & E11 :)
Big fat chain tie downs are a nice comfort when you have to leave your plane out.

Here was the last bit of todays flying.
c8c311fc366938bbabcab4290e99b404.jpg

The totals
Time-20 hours
fuel- 150 gallons
Mileage-2557

Time for another oil change. I'm getting really good at not peeing oil all over the hangar floor now.

Last edited:
That's one cool trip you completed Cathy! I am itching to go to that corner of US again... :)

Vlad travel sightings

Vlad,

We don't hold a candle to you. We are going to the Cape again in Sept and if you're around as we're cruising back through PA we'll come meet you.

Vlad,

We don't hold a candle to you. We are going to the Cape again in Sept and if you're around as we're cruising back through PA we'll come meet you.

Very well. Flash Mob Interceptors will keep an eye on you :D

PS btw you probably exceeded free PeeBucket traffic/storage limit and your pictures became blocked. Either send them couple bucks or move pic to other free site.

Last edited:
Back