What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grips

Can anyone recommend a decent stick grip for an RV-7? We have dual Dynon Skyview EFIS with a Dynon autopilot, manual trim.

In terms of switches, I am thinking PTT, autopilot disconnect, perhaps Squawk Ident...

Would appreciate any comments, both positive and negative,

Thanks in advance,

Can anyone recommend a decent stick grip for an RV-7? We have dual Dynon Skyview EFIS with a Dynon autopilot, manual trim.

In terms of switches, I am thinking PTT, autopilot disconnect, perhaps Squawk Ident...

Would appreciate any comments, both positive and negative,

Thanks in advance,

I went with the grips by Tosten Mfg.

tostenmfg.gif

http://www.tostenmanufacturing.com/

All the functions you asked for plus comfortable in ether hand.

tostengrips.jpg

Last edited:
Yep,,,Tosten. You can't beat the quality and price. Very comfortable and ambidextrous.

I went with the Tosten grips also.
Switches are as follows:
Trim - Hat
PTT - trigger
AP disconnect - index
AP AutoLevel (new Dynon feature) - right
Freq Flip/Flop - left
Copilot grip grounds are wired to a DPDT switch on the panel to disable.

FWIW, I am using dual Infinity grips setup as follows:
Trigger: PTT
Pinkie: Starter
Inboard Thumb: Autopilot Disconnect / CWS
Top Inboard: Flaps - momentary toggle switch
Coolie Hat (up/down): Pitch Trim
Coolie Hat (left/right): Unassigned yet
Top Outboard: Aileron Trim - momentary toggle switch

Another vote for Tosten... I love mine. They give you military-like button convenience and functionality, in a professional, non-military looking grip.

Nothing wrong with the military look if you're into that, and if so the Infinity grips are very nice. I just thought they would look out of place in my aircraft.

You can get more buttons on the Infinity grip so it might come down to just how many things you think you need on your stick.

teak grips

I love my teak grips, you fly with your fingers anyway, I love the look and get compliments all the time. I think it is all personal.

Tosten is at the top of my list too. While the infinity would be great for an RV-8 (being a tandem aircraft), I like the ambidextrousness of the Tosten.

Ambidextrousness

Tosten is at the top of my list too. While the infinity would be great for an RV-8 (being a tandem aircraft), I like the ambidextrousness of the Tosten.

That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite -- that it's tandem aircraft where you'd want an ambidextrous stick grip, not side-by-sides.

In the left seat of a side-by-side model, the airplane is flown with the left hand always, so the right hand (presumably the dominant hand) is free for writing and manipulating panel controls. So you can just go with a left-handed stick grip (I have a left-handed grip for the left seat and a right-handed grip for the right seat). That being the case, I see no advantage to an ambidextrous stick grip in the side-by-side, at least no for the left seat.

On the other hand, in a tandem aircraft that is normally flown with the right (dominant) hand, you may want to switch hands occasionally so you can use your right (dominant) hand to write and/or operate controls on the right side of the panel. So that's where an ambidextrous stick grip may be advantageous.

Though in either case, I don't see that as a major concern. If/when you do switch hands, it'll be for just short periods of time, and you generally wouldn't be manipulating any switches on the stick grip during that time. You'd be busy doing something else, whatever it is you're using your dominant hand for.

I like my African Zebrawood grips

that I made. Both out of a 2" X 2" X 12" block. PTT and AP Disc(Pilot side only). I also fly with two or three fingers except for takeoff and landing. I adjust pitch trim on the panel rocker beside throttle before TO, at TOC, TOD and back in the pattern. I rarely use roll trim. I have hit ident maybe 10X in 100+ hrs.

I bought the Infinity grips because of the way they fit my hand, and because the switch number and arrangement will let me run and execute the entire pre-landing checklist (assuming the tank was selected and the mixture set rich before getting close to the airport traffic pattern) without taking my hands off throttle and stick.

It will be a while before I need them, but I try to make one significant purchase at OSH each year while I wander around drooling.

Last edited:
The Tosten grips can twist

I have Tostens though I have yet to fit them.

One advantage of the Tosten grips is that they are retained by a grub screw running in a groove around the base of the grip shaft. This means you can adjust the tension so that they can twist to the exact orientation needed by your left hand versus your right hand every time you switch, and the grip still can't come off. You get to keep your wrist straight on either arm .

Of course if you don't like the feeling of that, you can always tighten them up so that they are permanently oriented to your default hand.

I will also vote for the Infinity Grips. I have 2 in my RV-10, the functions are as follows:

Toggle for flaps
Hat for Aileron and Elevator Trim, if pinkie switch held then Hat left/right is Rudder Trim
Top button is Com 1/2 Swap
Thumb button is AP CWS/Disconnect
Pinkie button is Com1 Act/Stby Swap

Thanks

Ray
N519RV 40250

tosten for me...

...although they were called CH grips when I got them, way back when:eek:

One word of advice: whichever grips you get, just because there are buttons available doesn't mean you have to use them all:rolleyes: I struggled to find a use for all of them and wound up putting radio toggle on the button below the trigger. On my first taxi out I was talking to ground and taxiing with the stick fully back. I realized after a while that things were a lot quieter on the radio than the activity I was observing. Turns out that I had inadvertantly toggled to the other radio because that button was under my middle finger and the trigger is under the index finger, which I was avoiding using as well.

Well, I'm a slow learner so it took two more times of inadvertantly changing frequecies before I just disconnected the button. I've never missed it:D

That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite -- that it's tandem aircraft where you'd want an ambidextrous stick grip, not side-by-sides.

In the left seat of a side-by-side model, the airplane is flown with the left hand always, so the right hand (presumably the dominant hand) is free for writing and manipulating panel controls. So you can just go with a left-handed stick grip (I have a left-handed grip for the left seat and a right-handed grip for the right seat). That being the case, I see no advantage to an ambidextrous stick grip in the side-by-side, at least no for the left seat.

On the other hand, in a tandem aircraft that is normally flown with the right (dominant) hand, you may want to switch hands occasionally so you can use your right (dominant) hand to write and/or operate controls on the right side of the panel. So that's where an ambidextrous stick grip may be advantageous.

Though in either case, I don't see that as a major concern. If/when you do switch hands, it'll be for just short periods of time, and you generally wouldn't be manipulating any switches on the stick grip during that time. You'd be busy doing something else, whatever it is you're using your dominant hand for.
Good points Roee. Maybe it's just aesthetics to me. A tandem seems more like a fighter and a side by side, more of a commuter. That's why an Infinity seems more at home in an RV-8 to me. Also, in a side by side, I may be switching seats with my wife who's getting her pilot's license. It seems like it would be odd for the grip to switch orientations when I switch seats.

I mounted my Tostens pointing straight ahead, no twist to account for left or right seat. They're perfectly comfortable that way, and don't feel out of place when you switch hands.

One more vote for Tosten grips. I fly aircraft with both Infinity (RV-8A, Wheeler Express) and Tosten (RV-7) grips. The switch tactile feel is much nicer in the Tosten grip. Just my $.02.

Couple of tidbits on the Tosten, they have relays in them, so can handle higher current loads, where some units need an external relay.

The owner Kevin is an RV guy.

One more vote for Tosten grips. I fly aircraft with both Infinity (RV-8A, Wheeler Express) and Tosten (RV-7) grips. The switch tactile feel is much nicer in the Tosten grip. Just my $.02.

So you thin Tosten is using higher quality switches?

I'll be checking the Infinities and Tostens out at Oshkosh.

Couple of tidbits on the Tosten, they have relays in them, so can handle higher current loads, where some units need an external relay.

Do the Tosten grips with inbuilt relays give the pilot priority overide on the copilot side for trim.
If they do I wish I had found out about them before wiring up my grips.:cool:

Like several others have recommended Tosten. They advertise here on VAF and they have worked great in my 6 for years. I just have PTT and AP disconnect.

Simple has many advantages

I have the basic Van's teak grips with just the PTT & 4-way hat. I use the Hat for elevator trim, AP disconnect and Audio play back and I could live without the audio playback.

No relays to worry about and I (almost) never hit the wrong function - I have gotten audio playback when I didn't want it a few times.

The only thing about the Vans grip is the PTT switch is cheap. After breaking off 2 rubber boots on the Vans PTT, I upgraded to an OTTO PTT switch.

I used 2 Logitech attack 3 video game joysticks, I rewired them myself and had a friend machine a solid aluminum adapter for the Van's stick, it has a palm rest for turbulence and plenty of buttons. The switches won't carry much of a load but it is enough for trim up/dn and PTT and autopilot disconnect. They were dirt cheap on ebay.

Back