What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero seats, need help with colour choice

petersb

Well Known Member
Looking to purchase Classic Aero Sportsman seats, synthetic leather.

Interior colour of cockpit, vans grey. Thinking light grey. I find "Pewter", very light grey, possibly too light, hard to tell with the small sample.

"Graphite" possibly too dark, although this is the choice of many who see the small sample.

Has anyone had one of these options, how did it look ?

Peter

Ultra leather pewter -----seats by Classic Aero, and side panels by Flightline.

10%2520interior%2520for%2520Abby%2520002.JPG

I sat in Mike's 10 and it was VERY nice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices. I bet Abby wouldn't let you choose poorly!

I just got mine: Sportsman seats, armrests, and stick boots, all done in Ultraleather Pewter. I'm really happy with that choice.

My cockpit is painted with Krylon Fusion (rattle cans), color "Satin Pewter", which by the way is a much lighter color than the Ultraleather Pewter. The combination works well together.

The effect is clean and simple, which is what I wanted. Darker colors for the upholstery would have looked more bold and flashy -- nice too I'm sure, but not the effect I wanted.

Not sure what "Van's Gray" looks like, so I can't help you there.

P.S. I don't have any photos with my seats in the cockpit, but I can take some tomorrow if you'd find that helpful.

I just got mine: Sportsman seats, armrests, and stick boots, all done in Ultraleather Pewter. I'm really happy with that choice.

My cockpit is painted with Krylon Fusion (rattle cans), color "Satin Pewter", which by the way is a much lighter color than the Ultraleather Pewter. The combination works well together.

The effect is clean and simple, which is what I wanted. Darker colors for the upholstery would have looked more bold and flashy -- nice too I'm sure, but not the effect I wanted.

Not sure what "Van's Gray" looks like, so I can't help you there.

P.S. I don't have any photos with my seats in the cockpit, but I can take some tomorrow if you'd find that helpful.

Thanks Roee

Vans grey is the light grey powder coat. I thought maybe pewter and Vans powder coat may be too close in color, ie a contrast may look better.

I just ordered leather seats from Classic Aero.

When my wife saw the colors I had chosen (beige) she said no, no that will never do with a silver polished airplane.

So I turned the samples over to her and she came up with "Orion Gunmetal" and "Orion Mist", a better choice I must agree.

So when in doubt, turn it over to a woman, she knows best what goes and what doesn't. :)

Thanks Roee

Vans grey is the light grey powder coat. I thought maybe pewter and Vans powder coat may be too close in color, ie a contrast may look better.

Here ya go. Snapped a couple of photos.

To recap, the seats are Ultraleather Pewter. The cockpit paint is Krylon Fusion Satin Pewter. And the powder coated weldments (visible in the photos: gear mounts, flap and canopy torque tubes) are in the original powder coat as delivered from Van's.

P.S. I don't have the front carpet yet, but I'm going with Granite for that.

20130424_56.jpg

20130424_58.jpg

Roee, thanks for going to the trouble of taking pictures of your seats.

Your choice looks perfect.

The problem I am having shows up when yours are compared to Mike's RV10 above, his looks very light compared to yours, obviously caused by the camera and lighting conditions, but which is the closest to reality

Roee, thanks for going to the trouble of taking pictures of your seats.

Your choice looks perfect.

The problem I am having shows up when yours are compared to Mike's RV10 above, his looks very light compared to yours, obviously caused by the camera and lighting conditions, but which is the closest to reality

You're welcome, Peter. No trouble at all.

You're absolutely right. Differences in color balance between different cameras, and likewise between different computer monitors, make it difficult to select colors based on photos. And furthermore, even looking at these materials with your own eyes, the colors and contrast will look different under varying lighting conditions.

My photos were taken indoors, with a mixture of incandescent and fluorescent lighting, plus the camera flash. On my computer monitor, the photos look fairly true to real life under those lighting conditions. Under natural light, i.e. sunlight, the colors do look a little bit different. Actually better, to my taste. Unfortunately I'm not at a good point to roll it out of the garage, but in any case, that would just be another photo with all the associated gotchas.

As for Mike's photo, to me it actually also looks pretty accurate to reality. But I wonder if there's some confusion due to the ambiguity of what he wrote. I think it's the inset of his seat that's pewter, and so is the armrest. Whereas the outer areas of the seat, as well as the side panels, are some other much lighter color. Mike, is that right?

Back