What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baggage anchor points

SeanB

Well Known Member
I'm nearing the point of the baggage floors being riveted permanently and would sure appreciate any good ideas (hopefully pics) of how you secure baggage tie-downs. My initial plan is to provide something removeable (wing tie down rings) at each corner of the baggage floor.

I'm especially interested in the sub-structure that allows the anchor to be made. It seems the existing ribs and other structure may be on the light side for the tension of straps being applied without some kind of reinforcement.

Thank you!!!

I'm nearing the point of the baggage floors being riveted permanently and would sure appreciate any good ideas (hopefully pics) of how you secure baggage tie-downs. My initial plan is to provide something removeable (wing tie down rings) at each corner of the baggage floor.

I'm especially interested in the sub-structure that allows the anchor to be made. It seems the existing ribs and other structure may be on the light side for the tension of straps being applied without some kind of reinforcement.

Thank you!!!

I installed L-track bases in the corners of the floors, along with some backing to help spread the load, similar to what Derek did. Having said that, I don't consider them "hard points", and I probably wouldn't tighten a ratchet strap across them.

I think that tightening a ratchet strap could easily generate enough static pull force to damage not only the floors (reinforced or not), but also the surrounding fuselage structure.

I'd be very careful to not over-tighten if using ratchet straps. Using simple rope or bungees, lashing without the high mechanical advantage of a ratchet, might be a safer choice.

We're only talking about tying down up to 100 lb of baggage to secure it in case of turbulence (say -3 g max excursions in the extreme), right?

Last edited:
We're only talking about tying down up to 100 lb of baggage to secure it in case of turbulence (say -3 g max excursions in the extreme), right?

Good point Roee.

I made my tie downs out of some spare .063 cut into a half circle witha big hole in it, attached to a left over piece of hinge material, riveted to the floor right at the edge of the vertical part of the bag compartment. Total cost $0.0...... but I like the ones the Scotsman has. Those will be in my -14. Many colors to chose from.

While building I installed several nutplates for AN4 bolts in corner baggage locations planning for tiedown rings. Then full interior came in... covered everything. I fly a lot and take full baggage when going for several days. Bags are relatively heavy and I pack them tight. I never had problem with bouncing items. Even over turbulent Rockies. If building again I would not bother with baggage tiedowns.

how much weight?

I agree; the structure doesn't seem to be up to much, so why overdo the tie-downs?
first point; I find when I have some bulky items in the back, like sleeping bags & such, it's hard to dig down to the floor to hook my cargo net.
I wish I had some hardpoints/hooks about halfway down the sides as well!

2. if you hit something at speed, your 100 lb cargo can quickly become a 1000 lb juggernaut trying to mash you against the dash.
Just sayin'. .........maybe we should have cargo cables running to the tail like the seatbelts eh?

3. If you have to egress in a hurry, is the important stuff on top?....with a quick release so you can grab it and go? or get to the fire extinguisher?
.....02 tanks? etc. etc. My stuff tends to be at the very bottom! :eek:

I find when I have some bulky items in the back, like sleeping bags & such, it's hard to dig down to the floor to hook my cargo net. I wish I had some hardpoints/hooks about halfway down the sides as well!

That's good feedback. The sides are double-walled up about half way to the longerons. Any reason not to add some tie down points at the upper corners of the double wall?

2. if you hit something at speed, your 100 lb cargo can quickly become a 1000 lb juggernaut trying to mash you against the dash.
Just sayin'. .........maybe we should have cargo cables running to the tail like the seatbelts eh?

Yep. That's partly the distinction I was trying to draw. Securing the baggage for turbulence doesn't require much. Only up to about 300 lb of force, and primarily in the vertical direction. If that's the goal, then almost anything already mentioned will do. Whereas really securing the baggage for crash-worthiness imposes requirements that are much harder to meet, and probably nothing mentioned yet (other than your cable idea) will do. The crash survivability threshold is somewhere around 50 g. And at 50 g, 100 lb of baggage can exert 5000 lb of force. That's a lot of force! And as you pointed out, in a crash scenario, the force may act to project the load forward toward the occupants rather than up toward the ceiling. So, creating a restraint system to keep the load from moving forward would also be an entirely different design problem.

3. If you have to egress in a hurry, is the important stuff on top?....with a quick release so you can grab it and go? or get to the fire extinguisher?
.....02 tanks? etc. etc. My stuff tends to be at the very bottom! :eek:

Yeah, it pays to think about how you want to distribute your load. Number of factors there. One good rule of thumb would be to put the big heavy rigid stuff on bottom, and light soft stuff up top. And what you may need to get to in a hurry, like you said, is another consideration.

About the fire extinguisher, personally, I wouldn't want it to be in the baggage area at all. Wouldn't want to have to turn around and fish for it behind me when I need it. Also wouldn't want it to hit me in the back of the head in a crash. :eek:

While building I installed several nutplates for AN4 bolts in corner baggage locations planning for tiedown rings. Then full interior came in... covered everything.

I gave Classic Aero the dimensions for clearance areas in the baggage carpet to fit around my tie down points. No big deal. Should be arriving later this week. :D

Back