What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LZU RV Fly-outs

walkman

Well Known Member
Over the last month I've met some great RV folks at LZU, and gotten some very nice compliments on my new plane....thanks for that.

I've also heard a couple of comments over and over:
- that there are a bunch of RV's on the field
- that there aren't enough (any?) RV group activities

So I figure I'll jump in and ask, how many RVers would be interested in a group fly-out somewhere either for a $100 hamburger or maybe to a fly-in somewhere if someone else does the organization?

Cedar Key is an interesting fly-out for RVs. Nice, short runway: 2300 ft with water at each end. As you near the airport, call for Judy on unicom to meet you and she will show up with a van and drive you into town for lunch.

fly out

Walkman,

If you arrange a fly out to somewhere in Florida, let me know. I'm in north Florida (Quincy) and would love to tag along and meet some of you fellows. Like Alton said, Cedar Key is great as well as Panacea. There is a place called Hammaknockers on the end of the runway at Panacea and the food is good. I'm at 49FD, but could meet you most anywhere. Email me at [email protected] if it's not too much trouble and you don't mind another RVer tagging along.

Tailwinds,
David Watson

what did you end up getting? Kent just took my 4 into his hangar for some major avionics work

I got a 6. n905rg.shutterfly.com

O-360 w/Hartzell C/S.

Getting used to seeing 165 KIAS :) Planning a trip in a couple of weeks where I'll get to 9,000' MEA, interested in seeing what the TAS will be there.

Walkman,

If you arrange a fly out to somewhere in Florida, let me know. I'm in north Florida (Quincy) and would love to tag along and meet some of you fellows. Like Alton said, Cedar Key is great as well as Panacea. There is a place called Hammaknockers on the end of the runway at Panacea and the food is good. I'm at 49FD, but could meet you most anywhere. Email me at [email protected] if it's not too much trouble and you don't mind another RVer tagging along.

Tailwinds,
David Watson

Getting other RVers to tag along was the point of the post :)

I've flown into and camped for a weekend at Panacea International Airport :) It must of been around '92 or '93 I think. I was flying a Grumman Cheetah. I could get two full sized bikes, a big cooler, and a weekends worth of camping gear in the back of that airplane and still put in 2 people and full fuel.

I'm sure the place looks a little different now. I got a laugh out of how that little strip got the "international" moniker.

Last edited:
I'm in!

I am still building, but if anyone needs a passenger who can share fuel expenses, please put me on the list!

This AHN guys might be interested as well.

In the meantime Steve, if you need a ride just get a hold of me

OK, so sounds like there might be some interest. Great.

I'll start making a list. So far we've got:

walkman
dewatson
steve ashby (as pax)
Jamie

some guys from ahn?

As an alternative to the 5FL7 fly-in this month, which is 2 hours-ish from LZU there is KCUB on 3/17. kcub is 1 hour-ish from LZU.

Last edited:
I think Guntersville AL has their pancake breakfast the 2nd Sat. of each month. Like KCUB it is only one hour away as opposed to a 2hr flight to Cedar Key. :)

John Morgan

PS Steve you can always ride with me.

I think Guntersville AL has their pancake breakfast the 2nd Sat. of each month. Like KCUB it is only one hour away as opposed to a 2hr flight to Cedar Key. :)

John Morgan

PS Steve you can always ride with me.

I'm not sure I can make this Saturday, I think I've promised to go ride a horse with my gf. It might be a bit short notice for anyone else.

I'm guessing an hour or less flight is a good distance. Know of any other fly-ins or good airport food in the 1 hour or less range?

Flew yesterday afternoon, absolutely beautiful! I tortured myself with an hour and half of wheel landings (well, attempted wheel landings) and rewarded myself with my first aileron rolls in an RV. WOW! I'm still grinning. This airplane rolls absolutely beautifully! Got my 5 hours with no PAX insurance requirement flown off.

Last edited:
Like Steve, I don't have an RV right now. (what I have is a garage that needs to be cleaned out and workshopified) But if there's ever a flyout and there are a pair of empty seats available, the co-builder (ahem, girlfriend) and I would certainly be happy to go along and split fuel costs.

As for <1 hour eating places...well, the Spitfire at Winder makes a tasty burger, but that barely even qualifies as a flight from LZU. I do need to get out there again...last time I went, I forgot to buy a t-shirt. And we all know that buying a t-shirt and eating a hamburger totally justifies spam can rental rates, right?

:)

(By the way Steve, nice meeting you at the breakfast Saturday. Next time I'll have to get there earlier and find the RV table...)

Middle Georgia Fly Out Event

Calling all RVers in the southeast, Feb. 25 could be a big day filled with food, flying, planes, food, cars, and food.

EAA 38 will have our monthly pancake breakfast starting at 9am at 5A2 (Warner Robins Airpark) then it's off to nearby PXE (Perry-Houston Co) for the 3rd Pigs and Wings BBQ Competition. This year will be bigger and better than ever with over 30 teams competeing and vendors selling food and drinks. This event is gaining momentum and should not be missed.

I have been to the Perry BBQ cookoff before and it is great. This definitely should go on the KLZU RV fly out list.

John Morgan

BBQ? I'm definitely in! 30 min or so from lzu at 165 kits sounds like a perfect distance.

Who else is in?

Like Steve, I don't have an RV right now. (what I have is a garage that needs to be cleaned out and workshopified) But if there's ever a flyout and there are a pair of empty seats available, the co-builder (ahem, girlfriend) and I would certainly be happy to go along and split fuel costs.

As for <1 hour eating places...well, the Spitfire at Winder makes a tasty burger, but that barely even qualifies as a flight from LZU. I do need to get out there again...last time I went, I forgot to buy a t-shirt. And we all know that buying a t-shirt and eating a hamburger totally justifies spam can rental rates, right?

:)

(By the way Steve, nice meeting you at the breakfast Saturday. Next time I'll have to get there earlier and find the RV table...)

Well I only have 1 extra seat, but if it's not claimed by my better half then I'm happy to give someone a ride.

This Saturday.

Our EAA Chapter 172 has a fly-in/meeting, this Saturday, at the Pea Patch, just south of Augusta, Ga. We arrive around 10:30-11:00 a.m....and BS for a while and look at airplanes, then eat by 12:30 p.m.

Our program starts with a speaker, around 1:00 p.m. and then we leave or look at some more airplanes. 61GA, a 2700' grass strip, north/south runway...preferably land going North and depart south. We use 122.7 Mh.

See ya there,

Best,

I will post a reminder of the Pigs and Wings event in Perry, Ga (PXE) as we get closer to the Feb. 25 date. The last P&W was nice but there were no vendors, so unless you knew someone in a BBQ team or were bold enough to ask for a sample, you went hungry. This time around there will be vendors and more emphasis on it being a public event and family friendly.

When I was there a few years ago(not more than 3) you paid about 10 bucks and then wandered around and ate until you could eat no more.

Have they changed it Bruce?

I would like to use the Perry cook off as an EAA 690 fly out but there would have to be food available.

John Morgan

John,
The first year was the feasting because of the people's choice award. Last year there seemed to be no public interface, but this time the organizers made sure to secure vendors, sponsers, and possibly music entertainment. If we have flying weather it will be a very nice event.

Any updates on Pigs & Wings? The girlfriend's nieces are going to be in town, and we were thinking of taking the Piper down from PDK. Only downside is that out of the two rentals, one is down for maintenance, and the other is booked until noon.

I've had a hard time finding much info about the Perry event, is food and such available for most of the afternoon?

EDIT: Actually, it turns out it's probably a moot point. I looked back and realized that the one available Archer is booked through the entire weekend, so the only way I'll be flying us down is if the other one gets fixed up early...oh well. The joys of renting...

Last edited:
When and where are we meeting at LZU for the BBQ fly out?

anyone up for a little formation work?

Martin;

We are getting to KLZU @ 9:15 with a 10:00 AM departure. As long as the winds don't get any worse than forcast it should be a go. Do you have a passenger yet? I would like to put Steve Ashby with you if you don't have someone.

John Morgan

Martin;

We are getting to KLZU @ 9:15 with a 10:00 AM departure. As long as the winds don't get any worse than forcast it should be a go. Do you have a passenger yet? I would like to put Steve Ashby with you if you don't have someone.

John Morgan

John/Steve

Sorry, I would have had a seat open as it was way too unpleasant for my GF to ride along. Unfortunately when I flew up to 47A for gas this am I broke a gas cap. I think I lost $20 worth of fuel in the short flight back to LZU.

Hope you guys had a good time, I took the opportunity to:
1) Mock up a center console in foam core
2) Fix stuck cabin heat shutter valve
3) Continue to fix fuel leaks :-(
4) Replace dripping gascolator O ring
5) Replace broken hinge on bottom of cowl
6) Re-crimp CHT probe cable connectors
7) Identify and correct loose connector under panel - reacquainting myself with "the position" (as in "assume the position" with feet in the air under panel)

So, it certainly wasn't a complete bust for me.

It was great!

There were 8 RV's, including my -10 and this bash has really grown over the last three years, with 59 teams cooking for the competition!

Live music was played all day long on a flatbed trailer and by 12:30 p.m, the judging was over and dozens of styrofoam covered plates were stacked in the corner of the hangar and offered free food to everybody! There was waaay more food than everybody could eat... BBQ'd chicken, babybacks, pork loins, briskets...man-oh-man,,,pig out time:) There were 7 categories to be judged in and I forget them now, but prizes totalled $3,000.

As usual, RV camaraderie was alive and well, with two additional -10 builders trying mine on for size:)

Jerry Esquenaz (sp?) wowed everybody with his incredible paint job on his -8

....yeah, yeah, I know, no pictures...my camera was at home but maybe Brian Unrein has some.

Best,

Oh Man, Jerry got his -8 painted, and I missed it

next time, I hope. Sounds like fun was really had by all

Sorry I missed you all. I was at home praying to the porcelain gods with a nasty stomach bug! Maybe next time!

Jerry's Paint Job

We all had a great time yesterday. My RV ride got sick so I ended up hitching a ride with Nate in his Bonanza. Here is a pic of Jerry's paint job, taken at the Grand Debut at Falcon Field (imagine Wagner's Ride of the Valkyre playing in the background).

0wMXpWStc48vpVA5u9HHBFzmEsDuWfNwUZZRlnDzCro

A good time was had by all! Thanks to all who flew in and enjoyed the excellent variety of FREE bbq. That was totally unexpected but very much appreciated. Our airport manager is Patsy Goff and it was she who made sure the pilots were taken care of.
BTW...I got a picture of Jerry's beautiful paint job but promised I wouldn't post it. He will unveil it to the world soon enough.

Martin;

Sorry to hear about your gas cap. We had a great time and the BBQ (especially Bubba's) was fantastic. I hope you can join us next time.

John Morgan

OK, so sounds like there might be some interest. Great.

I'll start making a list. So far we've got:

walkman
dewatson
steve ashby (as pax)
Jamie

some guys from ahn?

As an alternative to the 5FL7 fly-in this month, which is 2 hours-ish from LZU there is KCUB on 3/17. kcub is 1 hour-ish from LZU.

Does the LZU crew plan to make it to the falcon fly-in, may 5?

Back