What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideas for improving EAA Airventure 2012

Mike is right!

FWIW, I emailed one of the EAA contact emails asking where to send suggestions. They got back to me right away encouraging me to forward any and all feedback.

I was going to boil this thread down when it settled and send it along to the EAA with the names of all contributors (asking for permission). Sounds like we already have a plugged in member who's volunteered to bring ideas forward.

I bet 80% of HBC is on this forum, so hopefully the HBC comments will be heard!

One more..

Great thread.
Not directly related to EAA, but the preparations that AT&T had put in (if they did such a thing) for Airventure was terrible. Their local cell tower was overwhelmed all day and it was close to impossible to get a call in or out. OK for a day but to go a week without good cell connection gets long.

Still smiling from the great week.
Suresh

Any chance of a group erecting a moderate size community meeting tent in the back of HBC (perhaps along the fence)
I had a similar thought, but instead of a tent why not a nice meeting pavillion in honor of Dick.

I can tell you that some type of permanent shelter in HBC was one of the priorities for the committee. The exact design is up for debate, but something to provide some sun/ rain shelter over picnic tables, large enough for groups to have gatherings. This was one example of an idea that may well have happened this year were it not for the aftermath of Sloshkosh. The idea of tying it into the Van's 40th and naming it after Van is a great one.

I am going to forward this thread to the rest of the site planning committee. We are really looking to get things moving again after Oshkosh, and this might make a good project to focus on.

I'll say it again.........I think that the EAA should definitely ask Team RV to perform at least three times during the week. It almost seems UNAMERICAN not to have these fellows perform in light of the number of RVs that fly into Oshkosh. I agree that there is way too much emphasis on the spinning, rolling and flipping Extras, etc. Once a day is enough!!!!! We are homebuilders....experimental aircarft folks....experimentals need to be showcased and I can't think of a better way to do it than TEAM RV. I don't understand why the EAA has not asked the team to perform. GEEEEZ.

My two pennies.

Follow Kahuna's lead and write to EAA...I still want to see all the unlimited acro rides perform inlcuding Koontz. but I want to see Team RV as well. I can leave without the sail plane....Sorry! I need noise!

I can tell you that some type of permanent shelter in HBC was one of the priorities for the committee. The exact design is up for debate, but something to provide some sun/ rain shelter over picnic tables, large enough for groups to have gatherings. This was one example of an idea that may well have happened this year were it not for the aftermath of Sloshkosh. The idea of tying it into the Van's 40th and naming it after Van is a great one.

I am going to forward this thread to the rest of the site planning committee. We are really looking to get things moving again after Oshkosh, and this might make a good project to focus on.

Jeff,

1. If HBC was moved up toward the forum buildings, one (or more) pavilions could be used effectively as a HBC gathering point after hours. Put the day trippers in the back of the lot! After all, campers are the ones paying the most $$ to be there (in most cases).

2. Find an "evening event coordinator" to host some evening activities. (like they do at SnF).

3. There needs to be a camp store closer than the barn. Or at least a "barn shuttle" Could be a scheduled trip 3 or 4 times a day. 7am, 11am, 2pm 5pm.

4. Barbeque grills. There were some there, only one had propane. However, make it clear that there are grills, so folks and plan on grilling. This would really help with early arrivers. I know "the show doesn't start until Monday", but they sure charge us for arriving on Saturday.

5. Parking pass for the lot right by HBC included with your camp registration. The lot was EMPTY almost everyday except Friday and Saturday. Most HBC people are gone by then. When my wife came we had to PURCHASE a parking pass for the red lot. Not a huge deal, but it makes having visitors much better.

Just a comment, I thought it was overall a really good experience camping all week in HBC. I found that if I came back around 1 or 2pm the showers were empty. HBC is actually very convenient to the flight line, Forums and the SOS tent. The volunteers did a great job and there was plenty of good coffee. Scholler is WAY out in the sticks. Yes there are more showers, also lot's more people. The toilets there are not exactly sterile. The generators humming till late are VERY annoying. I'll be back at HBC next year!

Just my opinion, I may just boycott the airshow, (didn't see many homebuilts flying in it). Don't they know that there are RV's that can do aerobatics, formation flying. Other experimental's also make for some great demos. The Honda jet demo was a joke. Same thing when Piper did it last year. I did miss the Curtis Pusher. That would have been worth seeing. I do like aerobatics, vintage and warbirds, just sure would like to see homebuilts equally represented.

pm...

Follow Kahuna's lead and write to EAA...I still want to see all the unlimited acro rides perform inlcuding Koontz. but I want to see Team RV as well. I can leave without the sail plane....Sorry! I need noise!

..check your pm's... :)

Daniel

I know EAA has tried to restrict the use of Gators, golf carts, etc., to designated routes, but there still seems to be many more powered vehicles than necessary. I'm also very concerned with the speed of some of these vehicles around pedestrian traffic and aircraft displays. I don't know if there have been accidents or not, but I know I have had some close calls.
I would like to recommend the banning of all of these types of vehicles (except for legitimate handicapped users) and replace them with industrial tricycles and bicycles like these: http://www.worksmancycles.com/ ( I have no association with this company)

No gas, no noise, slower speeds, American made. I have no idea how much EAA spends on renting Gators and golf carts, but in the long run this would seem to be less expensive.

I can tell you that some type of permanent shelter in HBC was one of the priorities for the committee. The exact design is up for debate, but something to provide some sun/ rain shelter over picnic tables, large enough for groups to have gatherings.

Great idea.

Jeff, how can we back it in an organized manner?

my 2 cents

A few years ago, when Dick Keyte's father was alive and part of the Bonanza group, they put on a fantastic formation demo... better than the RV's.

The EAA wants the top name performers out there because most of the people watching on the show line couldn't tell you the difference between a Cessna 150 and a J-3. Those people want to see insane aerobatics with the extra's and the super Pitt's. They wouldn't appreciate the skills of Greg Koontz, or the guy with the clipped wing taylor craft or a single RV act. I've seen enough of the cookie cutter acts, I am with those who want to see interesting airplanes flying, even if they are just in the flyby pattern.

The EAA is like any other organization... money talks... war birds and gyroscopic aerobatics brings in the cash.

CM

HBC

I vote for some decent showers for the HBC area. The unit had 2 sinks and one of them had an inch of water on the floor in front of it. There must have been 200 airplanes in the HBC and for sure there were not as many women as men, yet the ladies had half the available showers. It weren't fair. :) I nearly wandered into their unit one night, it was so quiet.

I stopped a volunteer on his golf cart one day and commented the lavs had not been serviced in three days and by night fall there would be no toilet paper. He responded I will get right on it and sure enough several hours later a lav service truck showed up. We did not run our to TP this year. Its a good idea to bring a roll just in case, they have run out in previous years. Seems like lav service is on demand, not a scheduled thing.

Overall the event was quite well managed, but we got short changed with the old shower truck trailer this year. I can't remember if it was here or SNF, but in previous years the truck shower was very new, clean and had adequate sinks so more than 2 guys could shave at one time. Campers pay $22 a night no matter where they are camped, seems like the shower service could be more equitable and for sure more of them. The HBC has been where it is for some time, why not build a decent permanent shower facility along with all the other improvements in the area. It would be amortized in just a few years compared to renting those old wrecks that have water on the floor in front of half the sinks. Standing in water coming from a shower stall probably violates half a dozen health codes.

Good thing most of us are tough and had military training in our youth, we can deal with it. :)

I'll second the showers as a needed upgrade. I was volunteer camping all week and SNF has a much better situation IMHO. The coffee in HBC was from donated Flying High; I just couldn't make it fast enough:D

I'll second the showers as a needed upgrade. I was volunteer camping all week and SNF has a much better situation IMHO. The coffee in HBC was from donated Flying High; I just couldn't make it fast enough:D

Jerry, thanks for all your work keeping the coffee flowing. It was much appreciated, especially on the rainy mornings.

Showcase the award winning planes!

How about on the last day all the planes that won awards particpate in a fly-by, or several fly-bys. If not a fly-by how 'bout a taxi-by then showcase them all at show center in the Plaza, this year called the Conoco-Philips Plaza I think.

It would great to see all the winners in one place and provide the builders/restorers/maintainers with a little recognition they deserve. There are always some great RV's in the mix.

Jerry, thanks for all your work keeping the coffee flowing. It was much appreciated, especially on the rainy mornings.

Hi Jerry, It sure was! I tried to get there early but was always beat out by someone else there with coffee aready made. Thought I was the first one there one morning cause all lights were out. Turned lights on and coffee was already made. Guy sleeping on the floor startled me when he spoke as I was pouring coffee. Didnt see him until then.

Water

I don't see any other complaints so I hope this isn't out of line. When it's that hot and causes us 'foreigners' to sweat like pigs, so much so that you don't need the porta potties......it would be nice not to pay $3 a bottle for water that costs .29 cents. This could easily turn into a $30 a day additional expense for essential to survive liquids. Yes there are fountains of warm water but hey...... I know this will be flamed by the Oshkosh faithful that think anything they price there is justified, but holy cow! Walked out the gate every time I was near and bought a bottle for $1, chatted with the folks in that house and went back into the show.
Same with beer and wine. Why pay 30% too much when a short walk had better prices and much better dressed barmaids.....! Same with food.
Just my thoughts on improvements. Hope this doesn't generate the typical bureaucratic response of shutting down the good places!!!! Or flames on how we should be greatful to have Airventure and pay what ever they charge.....:cool:

I really like Doug Abney's idea of show casing the award winners in some way, even if it is just a special parking area and an announcer letting the masses know where they are and telling about the individual airplanes. Why they won the award, special features, build time, etc. Maybe post some signs around setting the area off from other parking. This is a stretch, but how about a big tent, like the Ford tent to show them off in after they finish their parade or flight.

I would like to see winners showcased as well, maybe even in the Ford tent. send the cars to the Chicago auto show. I Know Ford dumps a lot of money into Airventure but if it doesn't fly or have to do with aviation, I don't want to see it at Oshkosh. That means pots and pans, supermops, cars and trucks, etc.

HBC

Jeff,

Thankyou for your service. Good to see you every year.

I have enjoyed Home Built Camping several times in the past years. Great location.
Except being under the flight path of the Bell 47s. Wish there were a way to loose them.
A better shower would be great!

When I arrive on Friday or Sat. I Would Like To Pick My Parking Spot!!!, just north, in line with the showers would be good. I have been ordered to camp way in the back. By the dusty road. It dosen't pay to be early.

Last edited:
In ref bottles of water at $3.00!!! IAC hut was selling ice cold bottles for $1.00. Not everyone was price gouging

Community lawn chairs

I am sure in HBC there are lawn chairs left back every year, why not have a stash of them available for reuse each year in the camping areas.

I am sure in HBC there are lawn chairs left back every year, why not have a stash of them available for reuse each year in the camping areas.

Yep, we already do this. Chairs, styrofoam coolers, anything left over that might be useful next year. That stuff gets snapped up pretty quickly by the early arrivals though.

In ref bottles of water at $3.00!!! IAC hut was selling ice cold bottles for $1.00. Not everyone was price gouging

If I remember correctly, Vintage also had $1.00 water plus Popcorn and Pink Lemon Aid for a donation.

I'd like not to see the Big Trucks parked along the flightline road toward the warbird area. This is in front of the "federal buidings" where it looks like the area is becoming VIP seating for the airshow. Same thing to the right of the Brown Arch. Not a good sign for the future.

Storm Ready??

Despite being recently certified "Storm Ready" by NOAA (as heard on EAA Radio early in the week), Sarurday's severe thunderstorm warning and subsequent wind event went unwarned, at least on the ultralight end of the field. Ben and I were visiting friends up there when we got warning on our phones (specifically listing Wittman Field) but the airshow kept going. I feared for Sean Tucker's life when the microburst(?) hit and vendor tents &trailers, ultralights, portapotties, etc went flying. Several ultralights were destroyed but there was no mention of it in Airventure Today-- just a shiny happy photo of the very same ultralights in sunny times, before the wind broke their wings!! So my suggestions are:
1. Make sure a warning is broadcast to the entire field when its issued by NWS, and for goodness sake, recall or divert the flying airshow performers!
2. Quit sweeping the news under the rug! It doesn't have to be "the best Airventure Ever" every stinking year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
EAA

If you could get EAA to stop sweeping things under the rug that would be a monumental achievement. Fon du Lac aircraft parking was way down, Green Bay and Appleton were probably similar. Early in the week, Portage had no EAA traffic, Baraboo was way down from last year. Large vacant areas in antique/classic parking. Do the idiots in Osh really think they can treat us like little children and we will believe anything they tell us?? I will give Mr. Hightower a reasonable amount of time to start turning things around. I am cautiously optomistic. I assume most know that the Airventure Cup Race is on EAA's hit list. Did you know that the flymarket is also on the list? More room for the t shirt and jewelry vendors, who by the way were not doing a spectacular business on Fri.

2. Quit sweeping the news under the rug! It doesn't have to be "the best Airventure Ever" every stinking year. :rolleyes:

The morning after the F-16 went off the end of the runway, I looked at every page of the EAA "Newspaper" to see what was said - not a single mention of it! It was on Avweb, Aero-News....heck, even CNN had a report!

Nope, only "good" news and press releases get past the editors of that rag....

Paul

Emergency services

Just since others are throwing things out for discussion. Could someone comment on the emergency services responses.
Where there have been accidents, it surprises me how long it takes for first responders. I was at the float plane base when the cub crashed in the lake, leading to the two fatals. There was more discussion amongst the staff there about how to be quiet and not let the public know what was going on, and not sound any alarms then there was in getting someone in a boat and out to the site to help. It was at least 8-10 minutes till the first boat left the dock, and no kidding the first two, trolled out to the mouth to not cause a wake! Very odd. When the f18 went off, how long was it till a truck was there and anyone did anything about the fire at the tail. One would think the best of the best would be there for this event.

Just figured with all the hardware sitting around, and all the planes....safety would be jimmie johns fast.

My opinion, but I would have thought osh would be about the safest place to have an aviaition accident. Just something I noted this year. I think there was some discussion after roush jet went down a year ago too. Seems a little slow, then mom is the word, what accident?

Last edited:
EAA

The Cub fatal was reported, other than that just the sunshine pump, even during the monsoons. Almost forgot, due to extensive work on drainage, no mud. But wait- that big camper being pulled by a tractor was stuck in SOMETHING. Looked like mud to me. Mud everywhere on Fri morning.

Just as the F-16 went off the runway, the air boss called "roll the trucks - viper off the end of the runway!". I didn't time how long til the trucks arrived on the scene, but short of anticipating the accident, I don't know how they could have gotten there quicker.

I agree that the Airventure paper seems to ignore any "bad" news. I didn't hear about the cub accident until I read it on an external news site.

pdj

EAA and money matters...

I suppose there is a problem with a few persons who fly in, camp, pack up and leave without registering and paying the fees. There were EAA volunteers on golf carts checking registration credentials.

After 5 days on the site, I was packing up on Thursday when two guys came by and asked rather aggressively why I had not registered. I was wearing the weekly wrist band and responded I did register and had already checked out. They wanted to know where my blue aircraft tag was, it gets turned in when you check out for a refund for unused camping days. The other part was packed up in the airplane with the tent.

I think the one guy may have been a bit embarrassed at the aggressive attitude of his partner, he said nothing. The matter was settled when I showed a receipt and the subject was switched from registration issues to the weather. That's the first time anything like that has occurred, but I suppose some people do cheat and these guys were doing their assigned job.

Later I looked at the receipt I had produced, it was not for camping and registration, it was for fuel. I don't think they read it.

Some years back, a $200+ registration and camping fee was billed to my credit card for over $23,000. I had a registered letter from the credit card company when arriving home demanding immediate payment. A phone call revealed the charge had been rejected twice but a third had a bank code that made it go through. Obviously I disputed the matter and called OSH. They said they would check into it and about a month later the CC account was credited for the charge from EAA. Some worked in the back office had failed to use a decimal point.

Neat thing about the deal was I did not pay registration or camping fees that year, they never did bill for the original correct amount. :)

AVC race

I assume most know that the Airventure Cup Race is on EAA's hit list.

Perhaps, but below is what Eric Whyte (the race chairman) said about this back in March:

...Anyway, EAA is supporting the race this year and I have my official paperwork appointing me as the Race Chairman. The Race staff will be returning as well. EAA has become more and more supportive of the race over the past few years. That has mainly been due to the support of the EAA Homebuilt Advisory Counsel. Doug Kelly took it upon himself to learn more about who we are and what we do and soon realized that it is a valuable event. ... In talking to the other members of the Homebuilt Advisory Counsel they have become more supportive of the event because of the participation in the convention of you and the rest of the guys that race. They like the fact that you guys tweak your airplanes and constantly strive to make them faster, safer and more fuel efficient. Recently we had a conversation that they would like to see more Participatory activities for the homebuilders at Oshkosh. Right now the AirVenture Cup is about the only way that the average EAA member can participate in the convention with their aircraft. So we have been getting more support. I hope to see that continue in 2011...

A few years ago it seemed that some homebuilders perceived the AVC as an event for rich guys who could afford fast airplanes (obviously they haven't seen my tax returns). This seems like less of a concern now. The bigger issue may be that EAA would like to see earlier planning of the AVC, which Eric is working on doing.

How about on the last day all the planes that won awards particpate in a fly-by, or several fly-bys. If not a fly-by how 'bout a taxi-by then showcase them all at show center in the Plaza, this year called the Conoco-Philips Plaza I think.

It would great to see all the winners in one place and provide the builders/restorers/maintainers with a little recognition they deserve. There are always some great RV's in the mix.

This is a nice idea but may not be practical because a lot of them are gone by Sunday afternoon. However, maybe an invitation could go out to invite them to the next year's show for some sort of showcase?

Improvements

I had a great time. Cheaper water would have been great, but I could have carried my own.

I'd love to see more builders near their aircraft. I was able to visit with a handful of guys and it was really great. Perhaps a fixed time every day when builders will be at their planes to answer questions? This could help current builders and spark more people to start building when they meet them and find out that they are just regular guys and gals like them.

It's a shame about the food in the show - really not up to the standards of the rest of the show, but there was great food available in Oshkosh, thankfully!

I agree that the Airventure paper seems to ignore any "bad" news. I didn't hear about the cub accident until I read it on an external news site.
I have always had the impression the Airventure paper ignored bad news too, so I made a point of looking for the Cub accident after I learned about from other sources. There was a very short article about the accident in the Airventure paper the day after the accident. The article didn't have the grizzly details about the accident that you could read in the local papers or online, but they did clearly state there were two fatalities.

More on the Cub Crash

The thread is starting to drift a little, but please indulge me.....I agree with all those who said the AirVenture paper seems to gloss over the bad stuff...Yes, the Cub did depart from KOSH..but (I believe) crashed to the south by Fond Du Lac, several miles outside the KOSH Class D. Just playing devil's advocate here, but does the paper have a duty to report the incident? I stayed in a hotel near FDL, and the incident was covered (with video) on all local stations from Milwaukee to Appleton for 2 days straight...If the incident had happened at Wittman, I would be considerably more critical....if they should report this, where do they draw the "reporting" line...50 miles...1000 miles?...I would not expect the INDY paper to report every traffic crash for people going to/from the 500...Not saying they were right, just offering another view...

I'm not sure what all the hubub about water is. We always carry three simple water bottles, one for me, one for you, and a backup. We simply refill them at the fountains all over, very often. This is part of our aimless wandering objectives. Living in central Texas, we are well aware of the need to drink almost as much as you can at OSH. The most we have ever spent on water at OSH was a total of $3. If you can only drink it if it is ice cold...

We improved our Airventure strategy by figuring out "nap time". After some lunch (we didn't eat a single bit of "carnival food" this time) around 1:15pm, if the weather is good, we retreat to our airplane and I go into low cpu mode for a couple of hours under the wing. I put down the canopy cover and rolled up other random stuff in the airplane for a pillow and I was a seriously happy camper. I talked to a ton of people wandering by during this time. Ask me any question or sit down and listen to me talk about all the questions you didn't ask, but I'm not getting up :).

I'm going to improve Airventure 2012 for me by bringing a little camping pillow for my afternoon time off of the feet!

cub crash

As close as I can determine on google map, the crash site was less than 6 statute miles from the numbers of 36.

I'm going to improve Airventure 2012 for me by bringing a little camping pillow for my afternoon time off of the feet!

One area in which there is no room for improvement... Tanya's cookies! The first nice thing that happened at Oshkosh after I climbed out of the SteinAir "Clown Car" RV-9 was meeting Scott and Tanya and getting a cookie. Thanks!

I'm not sure what all the hubub about water is. We always carry three simple water bottles, one for me, one for you, and a backup. We simply refill them at the fountains all over, very often. This is part of our aimless wandering objectives. Living in central Texas, we are well aware of the need to drink almost as much as you can at OSH. The most we have ever spent on water at OSH was a total of $3. If you can only drink it if it is ice cold...

We improved our Airventure strategy by figuring out "nap time". After some lunch (we didn't eat a single bit of "carnival food" this time) around 1:15pm, if the weather is good, we retreat to our airplane and I go into low cpu mode for a couple of hours under the wing. I put down the canopy cover and rolled up other random stuff in the airplane for a pillow and I was a seriously happy camper. I talked to a ton of people wandering by during this time. Ask me any question or sit down and listen to me talk about all the questions you didn't ask, but I'm not getting up :).

That seems to be my exact plan. I try to always have a full water bottle and I rotate which one I drink out of between fills. I used to walk around the whole day but decided this year (First in HBC, 6 previous in scholler) to go back to the plane and read a book or organize my pictures. If you were in HBC during that time, you may have seen me under the white canopy tents reading a good aviation book... :)

How about EAA not charging $8 for parking at the seaplane base!!!!!!!!! (Should be free with a wrist band).

Absurd

The part I liked a couple years ago was taking the "free" bus to the seaplane base. Yes, it was in fact a free bus ride to the seaplane base. However, the bus ride BACK was not free! Not very cool.

While this thread may not effect any changes in how AirVulture is organized and executed, it's nice to read that many other participants share my general dismay at its evolution.

Yeah, I'm an old fart. This was my 22nd consecutive Oshkosh. When I first started attending, there were only three exhibition halls -- the old hangar buildings that now house stuff that doens't capture most people's imagination.

Food choices were: cold pancakes, scrambled eggs and coffee for breakfast ... cold hamburgers, cheeseburgers and onion burgers from Zaug's ... and soft serve cones that cost something like $.50. And kids hawking ice cold Cokes (with the ice already melted, naturally) as they walked through the crowds.

You took your life in your hands if you walked around the grounds before the convention started. Big trucks, cars and tractors were moving constantly, and it seemed like they were playing a game to see if they could actually run over pedestrians in the process. After all, they were trying to set up for the show and you were in the way. However, once the convention started, there were very few motorized vehicles driving through the grounds. It was safe to walk while looking at airplanes and licking a cone.

Camping in Camp Scholler was primitive but cheap. People had campers and motor homes, but they mixed easily with tent campers and nobody had any big issues. When night fell, people went to bed or had quiet conversations around a fire or gas lantern. Gathering for programs at the Theater in the Woods was the only evening entertainment. Oshkosh was an economical vacation for a family without great means.

I do enjoy some of the amenities that EAA's evolution have brought. The upgraded showers are nice. The expanded food availability is convenient. The caliber of workmanship in the homebuilt community is overwhelming. But, when measured against what we've lost in the process, I'm generally disappointed. I thought that I would always be an EAA member -- and I may -- but I can just as easily see the day when I will find another destination for my summer escape, and that's sad.

People have offered some really good practical suggestions that will make future conventions more convenient for participants. However, I'm afraid that Pandora's box has already been opened, and there's no way to turn back the clock (yes, I mixed my metaphors, sorry). For people relatively new to Oshkosh, going back to how it used to be would be equally disappointing. We fortunate few who had the pleasure of enjoying Oshkosh the way Paul hoped it would be will just fade away one day ... :cool:

OLD

OLD???? How about Rockford 1961 and only missed one since. I am cautiously optomistic tha a few things can be turnmed around.

Hmm... I remember camping in the woods when I was a kid near where the stupid Movie Theater is now, and going to sleep just after sundown, and being amazed that a temporary town of 40,000 campers could be so hush-quiet and peaceful. It was wonderful getting to sleep early and then waking up at dawn to Paul's P-51 screaming over the campgrounds. The campground is a horribly noisy place now. The movie booms so loud across the entire place you can't think.

And-- What's up with those creepy flaming bags??? :mad: I see them going up overhead every night and just cringe at the thought of all that avgas and vintage doped fabric out there.

onion burgers from Zaug's

I so miss the 'bermuda burger's' from Zaug's.

I gave my daughter my kids sized "Oshkosh Jacket" this year with the 1978 patch that started it off. We bought a 2011 patch in the original EAA shop then walked through the arch for the first time in years (for the newbies you used to HAVE to be an EAA member, surrender your Coke and ice cream before getting to bend over an airplane). Bigger is not better. I wish the regionals could find a working formula.

My first OSH was in ?87, back when you walked through the brown arches and had to be a pilot or EAA member to get close to the planes. I brought my father with me, who saw a Corsair and Mustang up close for the first time, airplanes he first saw as a boy in news reals at the movie theater. I still remember the look on his face when he realized how large they really were.

This year I asked three different people to stop smoking around the planes. One guy with a large cigar was leaning over the cockpit of the plane while holding his lit stogie over the fuel tank. The second guy dropped his cigarette in the grass and put it out with his foot. The third guy I asked to put out his cigarette just started swearing at me.

My ideas for improving Airventure is trying to bring it back to its roots. Geriatric rock bands don?t do it for me, even though I have an AARP membership letter sitting on my desk.

Lying in my tent in HBC listening to the movies, rock bands, or whatever until midnight just detracts from the experience.

Then realizing there were eight showers and two sinks with mirrors for all of HBC along with two groups of port-a-johns when the certified guys have really nice facilities. If next year wasn?t Van?s 40th anniversary, I would encourage the homebuilders to boycott HBC and ask to park with the aircraft camping, even if it is a bit of a distance from the main part of the show.

Oh, then there was the part about the seven iPhones being stolen from the HBC charging station. I wonder if the EAA is addressing that little issue.

My other suggestion is for the EAA to hire Maryjane and her family to host HBC as they do at SnF every year.

My biggest complaint has already been mentioned but I will add it also in the event that these are compiled and sent to EAA. I also am annoyed by the amount of vehicle traffic on the grounds of AirVenture. As my wife and I are dodging these golf carts and Gators I see a cart hauling around able bodied men and women. I don't know if they are VIPs or if they just know somebody that has a cart. I also see a cart with 1,2 or 3 teenagers riding around. I am aware that some of these carts are used to haul supplies to various shops, vendors and food sellers but most of the time, I see nothing in the cart or Gator other than these able bodied people. I would love to have somebody drive me around so I didn't have to walk from one end of Wittman Field to the other but no one has been forthcomimg in offering me a ride and a I also enjoy the walk.

This being said, I still look forward to my annual pilgrimage to Mecca. It is a great escape from the stresses of work and it allows me to indulge my aviation fantasies. I have come to the point where I no longer feel the need to camp under the wing of my plane so I haven't had the negative experience of Camp Scholler that others have posted here. On the other hand, I don't get the experience of the commraderie there. My wife is especially thrilled about the new flush toilets outside Building C. I can't imagine what it would take for me to not return to Air Venture every year unless providentially hindered by personal factors.

Well, 67 posts later, someone echoed what I said back in post #28 about setting up camp in the North 40 to take advantage of the new, improved, larger and varied amenities.
No formal boycott needed, just hold up your GAC sign after exiting the runway.

Do you recall the rooster crowing each morning along with reveille? That was a classic, grass roots, down to earth daily opening.

I liked it - in the same tradition as Jerry Sleger's one man along with the couple who pulled a wild looking wagon with flopping wings.

Some things shouldn't change, they make an event more special than it is.

This year I asked three different people to stop smoking around the planes. One guy with a large cigar was leaning over the cockpit of the plane while holding his lit stogie over the fuel tank. The second guy dropped his cigarette in the grass and put it out with his foot. The third guy I asked to put out his cigarette just started swearing at me.

I knew I liked you for some reason. Smoking around airplanes and leaving your grocery cart beside my car really get my blood boiling.

...a cart hauling around able bodied men and women. I don't know if they are VIPs or if they just know somebody that has a cart. I also see a cart with 1,2 or 3 teenagers riding around...

Someone else said it's EAA policy that the drivers would get in trouble for driving around empty and that the drivers should fill the seats with those who were going the same direction.

Teenagers...well...what can you say?

-Jim

Back