What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Resistive fuel sender

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I have the Van supplied resistive fuel senders. I also have them hooked to an EI fuel gage. To calibrate the fuel gage one must know the relationship between the level of resistance and fuel level. That is: as resistance increases fuel quanntity increases or vice versa. Does anyone recall the relationship?

I have lost the sheet that came with the senders and it's been a couple of years since I did the check and can't recall the detail.

thanks,
Don

I know just where mine is, as I spent the day cleaning the hanager, and can scan it to you tomorrow evening if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Could you please send me a copy too.

I just calibrated my left tank and only got resistance changes (and therefore, indication on the gauge) up through 17 gallons .

Since the plane isn't painted, I'm going to check the installation bends to see if I can get a little more movement of the float bowl between empty and full.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
RV-10
Boynton Beach, FL

From Van's website:

Float type sending units and replacement gaskets are available for Stewart Warner, Isspro, and Van's fuel gauges. These units are resistive and operate between approximately 20-240 ohms. When the tanks are full the resistance is approximately 20 ohms, when empty the resistance is approximately 240 ohms

Nobody mentioned this yet, but your float will top out before the tank is full due to rectangular tanks and dihedral.

Back