What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim Question

rcarson

Well Known Member
I recently installed the aileron trim kit and it seems there is a lot of tension on the springs. I set it up the way it was described in the instructions but when the stick is moved normally it puts a lot of stress on the servo assembly. Has anyone else had trouble with this or is this the way it is supposed to be and can someone tell me if it works well in flight? Thanks for the input.

I recently installed the aileron trim kit and it seems there is a lot of tension on the springs. I set it up the way it was described in the instructions but when the stick is moved normally it puts a lot of stress on the servo assembly. Has anyone else had trouble with this or is this the way it is supposed to be and can someone tell me if it works well in flight? Thanks for the input.

Mine is the same way on my RV-7, in fact I installed needs springs, because the last owner hacked them all up, because he did not know what he was doing, he was trying to correct for a heavy wing so the idiot cut the springs shorter. My trim seems to work fine in flight, I need to correct for a heavy wing issue though, I will start with the rigging set up on the plane, I am told to take her up to cruise alt. and power setting and take my feet off the rudder pedals and see where the ball is, then start by setting up the rudder, i may need a trim tab on mine.

People seem to resist doing this but bend up a small tab and tape it to the underside of the elevator and see if that frees up the inflight loads.

Your electric trim really should only be used for in flight levelling of the plane due to fuel loads changing and say only one POB and fuel.

Will make life much nicer! ;)

The important issue is being able to move the stick full throw no matter where the trim springs are positioned. They look stretched as installed per the instructions but they will stretch a lot farther when you do this check.

Mine works fine except I need to tighten the friction bolt a bit. Moving the aileron sometimes will move the trim handle also.

I don?t think there needs to be any load on the servo in the neutral position. Mine with a manual trim is set that there is hardly any load on the spring on either side when it is in the neutral position. Of course if you want to compensate for a heavy wing (wrong way to go about fixing an issue) then you may need even a heavy duty spring (NOT recommended here)

Aileron Trim

There is no tension on the mechanism in the neutral positon so I guess it's alright. I am trying to finish by the spring of 2012 but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for all of the imput, it looks like it's the way it's supposed to be.

People seem to resist doing this but bend up a small tab and tape it to the underside of the elevator and see if that frees up the inflight loads.

Your electric trim really should only be used for in flight levelling of the plane due to fuel loads changing and say only one POB and fuel.

We did this to my plane, I can trim and fly hands free now :)

Did you really mean this??....................:eek:

Aileron Trim

Hi Richard,
I've been thinking about adding a manual aileron trim to my 7. I would love to see a picture(s) of your finished install so that I can get an idea of what is involved.
Thanks,
Gerry

Mine is the same way on my RV-7, in fact I installed needs springs, because the last owner hacked them all up, because he did not know what he was doing, he was trying to correct for a heavy wing so the idiot cut the springs shorter. My trim seems to work fine in flight, I need to correct for a heavy wing issue though, I will start with the rigging set up on the plane, I am told to take her up to cruise alt. and power setting and take my feet off the rudder pedals and see where the ball is, then start by setting up the rudder, i may need a trim tab on mine.

Is it a quick build kit? If so check the aileron at the outer hinge point. It will probably be the left aileron and it will stick up about 3/16" on top. You can elongate the holes in the outer hinge bracket and when you get it adjusted order a new undrilled hinge from Van's and replace it. Look on Van's website for correcting heavy wing for complete instructions. I have found this on 3 RV7s all quickbuilds manufactured in 2005-2006. Don

Hi Richard,
I've been thinking about adding a manual aileron trim to my 7. I would love to see a picture(s) of your finished install so that I can get an idea of what is involved.
Thanks,
Gerry
Order the kit from Van's. The manual trim works great and is an easy install. Don

Is it a quick build kit? If so check the aileron at the outer hinge point. It will probably be the left aileron and it will stick up about 3/16" on top. You can elongate the holes in the outer hinge bracket and when you get it adjusted order a new undrilled hinge from Van's and replace it. Look on Van's website for correcting heavy wing for complete instructions. I have found this on 3 RV7s all quickbuilds manufactured in 2005-2006. Don

+1....I had a heavy left wing(actually miine was unstable in roll) and used Don's advice to check the aileron hinge position. My aileron was sitting ~1/8" above the wing skin at the outboard edge. So I dropped the hinge and TaDa! fixed. My roll was still sensitive above 200mph, so I gently squeezed both ailerons.....when I say gently I mean I could not even tell I did anything. And it helped stabilize things.

Heavy wing

The old squeeze and bump trick works pretty good. I built a RV6 several years ago and had a heavy left wing... squeezed the right aileron trailing edge just a hair and fattened up the left aileron trailing edge just a bit. Worked great, and the trim was neutural with me and full fuel.

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC

Back