What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

elevator balance vs. manual trim cable

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I've read through as many old posts as I can find, but not of clarity on this particular issue. While it does not appear that elevator balancing is really all that necessary on RVs, I'm going to balance mine as best I can. Howeer, I find that the manual trim cable, being as stiff as it is, exerts enough pressure to significantly change the angle at which the elevator naturally likes to sit.

Question: Do I balance the left elevator with the trim cable attached or out of the way entirely? I've read one or two posts that suggested doing it without the trim cable attached, but does it help to balance the left elevator without the trim cable if the trim cable's only going to have the tendency to pull the elevator out of balance when attached?

Thanks.

I just went through this, as my plane is painted now and wanted to make sure my elevators were balanced. I loosened up the trim cable and inspection plate, so that it was not pulling on the elevator, but left them in place.

I ended up taking 4 oz out of the right elevator and adding 8 oz to the left elevator.

Balance

Production aircraft generally require that all trim components be installed, but not hooked up to the airframe part of the system. (as in on the bench) I believe the forces in play during flutter have more to do with mass than springing forces, as some production airplanes have spring assist which are not accounted for during (mass) balance.
I sure would like to hear what the educated have to contribute about this.

I just went through this, as my plane is painted now and wanted to make sure my elevators were balanced. I loosened up the trim cable and inspection plate, so that it was not pulling on the elevator, but left them in place.

I ended up taking 4 oz out of the right elevator and adding 8 oz to the left elevator.

Keep in mind that the balance need to be in final assembly and not just individually each elevator. But I suspect that if each of them are balanced, then as an assembly it will also remain balance. In my conversation with VANS during my final assembly, they were very clear and admament about that.

Keep in mind that the balance need to be in final assembly and not just individually each elevator. But I suspect that if each of them are balanced, then as an assembly it will also remain balance. In my conversation with VANS during my final assembly, they were very clear and admament about that.

That is good to know and yes mine are balanced as an assembly now too. Sounds like I cost myself a little extra work is all.

Thanks

Back