What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QUOTE OF THE DAY....

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
I think your wife will get sick of the fuse in the living room long before you get to the point where it won't fit out the door. :eek:
BRIAND 8/19/07

Last edited:
gasman said:
I think your wife will get sick of the fuse in the living room long before you get to the point where it won't fit out the door. :eek:
BRIAND 8/19/07

I grew up with 4 siblings in a small mobile home... with Pitts parts in the kitchen and living room! Guess my Dad had his priorities straight!

At which point you get to make that fateful decision; the wife or the plane. Your choice, choose wisely. It may just be the last one you make.........

As a man. :eek:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

I also have to 'fess up that I slid into the forum as a non-RV Kitfoxer (as you can see by my user ID) and I tell you, I feel surrounded by RV's whenever and wherever I land at different strips. You guys are like yellowjackets on a dead horse. If/when I stop for fuel at some out-there strip I won't be there for two minutes and voila, two RV's will appear out of nowhere!
KITFOXER 6/10/07

I believe a moderator on this forum, Martin Sutter, built his entire first airplane in his and Claudia's (nice) house.

Several years ago I visited a friend at her nice home and her uncut canopy was more or less serving as a coffee table in the living room.

Both of these airplanes made it out of the house and into the air and have flown many hours.

NEW quote of the day....

.. I spent most of my money on airplanes and wimmin'... the rest I just WASTED.

Last edited:
How in the world did those people get an RV fuse. out of a standard width door? That is pretty impressive :D And yes, good quote...my wife loves airplanes but I think having a half-built one in our living room may be pushing things a little too far.

I'm getting ready to mate the wings.

While she was helping me measure the garage to see if we could make the wings fit on the fuse, it was my wife that pointed out that the best place to do the attach would be the living room.

I think I'll keep her.

Pics forthcoming in a few weeks....

Guy

I'm still trying to convince Tanya to let me build a -10 fuselage in the living room. After all, it was her observation that we had more appropriately configured square footage in the house for its length than in the garage. She survived the -9 wings being stored in the living room for a year, a -10 fuselage would just be the natural progression :). (or maybe grounds for divorce)

Sutter Living Room RV

n5lp said:
I believe a moderator on this forum, Martin Sutter, built his entire first airplane in his and Claudia's (nice) house.

Several years ago I visited a friend at her nice home and her uncut canopy was more or less serving as a coffee table in the living room.

Both of these airplanes made it out of the house and into the air and have flown many hours.
Martin might chime in here on this sometime (he is flying his RV around the NW with wife Claudia right now I believe). The house that their RV was built in is about three miles down the road from me, so I was lucky to get to visit them a couple of times.

They turned their formal dining room (about ten foot by ten foot if memory serves) into their temporary living room. The living room was turned into a RV workshop. They pulled the carpet up and ran compressed air in from the garage. If memory serves they had sliding doors on one wall that they removed for the 'birth'.

b,
d

My better half said "if you buy another plane, I'm leaving"

I said "I'm sure going to miss you"

Glad she didn't call my bluff!

Yeah.....

BobMoe said:
My better half said "if you buy another plane, I'm leaving"

I said "I'm sure going to miss you"

Glad she didn't call my bluff!

I said something similar to my ex. As she was leaving, I told her, "If your phone don't ring, you'll know it's me" :D

Pierre

One of my favorites

Not directly airplane related but sure applies to the building process.

"No matter how you cut it, 1/7th of your life will be lived on Mondays."

If you think an airplane in the living room is bad...

I recall reading a story about a guy in Canada (I think) who built an RV in his basement. He knew before he started that he had no way to get it out of the underground basement.

The plan was to dig downward next to the foundation and then tunnel through the basement wall and take the plane up and out. He actually had pictures of the process of pulling the fuse up through the hole.

Best guess is it was 6 or 7 years ago.

Similarly, I recall a guy who did alot of the building on his kitchen table in his apartment which was on something like the 20th floor of a highrise building. In that case he only built smaller parts and carried them down the elevator.

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (500TT)

MSFT-1 said:
I recall reading a story about a guy in Canada (I think) who built an RV in his basement. He knew before he started that he had no way to get it out of the underground basement.

The plan was to dig downward next to the foundation and then tunnel through the basement wall and take the plane up and out. He actually had pictures of the process of pulling the fuse up through the hole.
You are probably remembering Terry Jantzi. You can see one picture, and links to a bunch more, about 3/4 way down his project page on the right side.

Yup, that's the one

I think it is just amazing (assuming he is married). I have come up with some crazy ideas in my life, but it would be easier for me to convince my wife to let me buy the Goodyear blimp than to cut a 5' hole in the side of the house...

bruce
N297NW
RV-8

Well, my empanage is scattered across several pot shelves in the dining, livingrom, hallway and bedroom. The canopy is right here behind me against the dining room wall. Wings in the garage and fusalage in the jig along side them. At least the wife doesn't complain about them.

It depends on how you screen your mate whether she lets you waste your money, time and living space on airplanes. For our first date I took my wife in my 1975 Decathlon and did some aerobatics. Great way to eliminate women that don't appreciate machinery. She was fearless and still is. After 8 consecutive spins and rolling out on the same heading she said "is that all you've got?"

I didn't usually do snap rolls in the Decathlon, but I did that day. Only problem was she put her keys on the floor (I told her to empty her pockets, go figure), and I had to do a C-section to get them out of the belly of the plane. We still laugh about that.

Quote of the day: "The grass is always greener on top of the septic tank".

in the end, you could always do something else that's more practical, but you will never do anything else more glorious.
Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook.....11/07

Back