What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting help and bend lines

I imagine this is fairly simple stuff that somehow I'm not understanding / wasn't specifically taught in my synergy intro course :D

Refer to link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mPTwiZmbJtEBEdJS8

Two questions:
1: I'm confused about which way to flute these with fluting pliers to get the bend out of them? Youtube videos I've seen usually have the sheets with a bend in the middle and you flute until the corner pops up slightly, but these seem to have the corner already popped up and not sure if I should be fluting one side or the other and what direction to hold the fluting pliers.

2. Step 2 in the photo has two bends. A) How precise to 9 degrees does this need to be? Is holding it next to a protractor and eyeballing it sufficient? The forward bend seems simple as there is already an angle to push against. It looks like for the aft 9 degrees you need to create a bend line at the specified point with a hand seamer. Do I hold the flat end of the hand seamer against the dashed line and push to create the bend?
This is the tool I'm imagining using.
https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products/offset-hand-seamer

Fluting

Hard to tell from the video but the "V" should protrude inward to the inside of the part. Sometimes it takes a flute between every pair of holes to get them right. Note. Use the matching part to judge. If the line of holes i the matching part are in a perfectly straight line then use a straight edge and flute till the rib holes are in a straight line. Laying flat doesn't always result in holes matching.

As far as a 9 degree bend, get as close as you can and use matching parts to adjust. Best fit is when parts all fall into place with no forcing.

Sorry, I don't use a hand seamer. I use a brake.

Looks like that part doesn't need much fluting, if any. The way It's bowed in the picture looks like it's bowed at a point between flanges, so no need to flute that. Just bend it straight with your hands.
To make a 9 degree bend, take a piece of cardboard and either made a 181 degree template, or 189 degree template, (for checking either inside or outside) and compare progress as you bend. Lay the part on the workbench with the flanges facing up, and press down really hard on the bend line with a plastic scraper or plastic putty knife. Maybe one that has a little radius in it. Then lift the long end while pressing the knife and forming the bend. Maybe sounds crude, but I bet it'll bend right between the notches like they want. I don't think you could use a brake or those flanging pliers, as the part has some raised lightening holes.

Last edited:
Thanks, your replies were helpful. I made a 9degree measurement on a piece of cardboard and creating a bend line at that point with a nylon removal tool was easier than I thought it would be.

Back