What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint stripe tape edge elimination ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
My objective is to have tape line edges, in the paint, smooth under a clearcoat. Basecoat tape lines could be minimized with sanding before clearcoat.

The problem is most paint systems prescribe a time limit between base coat and clearcoat for good adhesion. This is a real challenge for many reasons on air planes with large parts and intersections like empenage/ fuselage etc.

Spies Hecker ( really pricey ), allows indefinite time between base and clear but not if basecoat has hardener, which is suggested for chip resistance. Input from the braintrust would be appreciated.

I'll be following this!

Hey Larry,

I'm in the same boat. I do have an idea though, I plan to add one extra layer of clear on the 'low' side near the border to keep from having to add weight and expense to the job.

tape lines in base coat can easily be sanded out after clear. The clear is much thicker than the base adn there is plenty remaining to sand it flat. Even with hardener, the base liquifies when the clear coat is sprayed over it. This blends the two together for adhesion. Most concerns with the delay time are related to contaminants and UV. My paint supplier said the recoat time was unlimited (eventhough spec'd as 24 hours), as long as the base was protected from UV and outside air (many contaminants floating around), even if the base was activated.

Just ask the air brush guys what they do. They spend many days doing color work and I don't believe that most to intercoat sprays.

Larry

Last edited:
Intercoat clear, which is a clear base coat, allows the opportunity to reset the clock if you time out and also works well to seal tape edges and prevent bleed.

Brands ?

Thanks guys. I will pursue all these suggestions.
Like primer wars, I am sure everyone has their personalized success preferences. PPG, Axalta and Spies Hecker are my local sources.
There is a broad range of price, which isn't a concern, as much as facts regarding what is different and why. I have painted cars and airplanes since teenage with Dulux, Stits, Stewart, Dupont etc. I observe concerning conflicts of opinion from the local "paint store experts" on the base/clear generation of products. Please keep the advice coming.

Here are two things:
First, after applying the base color, re-apply tape about 1/16th" out from the base color and then apply clear. That overlap gives you an area of clear that can then be taper sanded for a transition.

Second, the hard core pros will do clear coat colors inlayed - apply both color and clear with taped edges, then re-apply tape over the clear coated color, which requires very careful precision, then apply the adjacent paint. The result is everything at the same level.

If you hanger your airplane...single-stage sounds like a lot less work.

Seriously though...what are the advantages/disadvantages of both processes?

Back