What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersinking rudder horn

I just started the rudder and got to the point where I need to countersink the rudder horn. One side of the horn is easily accessible and countersinkable, but the other side, the holes are near a bend in the horn and the countersink cage is not able to sit flat. How did you guys manage to countersink those two holes? (7-4 step 2)

Without the cage? :)

There's a bunch of those cases throughout the build - you can do it manually by attaching the countersink tip to a rotary-type deburring tool, or to a drill (go *very slowly* so you don't countersink too far). I prefer doing it manually myself, even if the end result is not as smooth as when done with the drill.

Alternatively, if you want to spend the money, there are long-nosed countersinking tools, like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/microStopLong.php?PANEL=203

Yeah I was going to take off the cage, but figured, hey, let's see what other people do...

I think I'm going to buy a hand held rotary deburring tool for this, since I'm sure I'll need it at some point in the future too.

Back