What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin vs Dynon

Dave S

Building an RV-7 looking to make it full IFR with an auto pilot.

Both Garmin and Dynon offer quality products each with some different features.

For this out there that have built using one, but would probably choose the other on their next build, why?

As my fuselage gets closer and closer to completion, I need to start seriously looking towards avionics. Right now I'm leaning towards Garmin, but can't honestly give a valid reason why.

Thanks.

Oh Boy :eek: You just tossed a hand grenade into the forum :rolleyes:

BUT............ I'm building a -7 and had to make the same decisions on avionics as you. I just received my connection kits for my all Garmin panel. I certainly would not denigrate Dynon and if you go that way you will be among many happy pilots.

What tipped me? Well, I liked the Garmin interface better and decided that since I was going IFR that I wanted all the boxes to be a designed system. That being said, my understanding is the the certified WAAS GPS boxes play well with Dynon. Also, all the avionics shops I talked to said they install Garmin products much more than Dynon. (not necessarily a reason to go Garmin but just say'n)

Here's my panel layout>
panel.jpg

Last edited:
AFS

I?m a fan of AFS. Maybe that is another grenade, but their ?Advanced Panel? sure seems to make things easy. In my limited experience, Garmin can be a challenge to wire.

Building an RV-7 looking to make it full IFR with an auto pilot.

Both Garmin and Dynon offer quality products each with some different features.

For this out there that have built using one, but would probably choose the other on their next build, why?

As my fuselage gets closer and closer to completion, I need to start seriously looking towards avionics. Right now I'm leaning towards Garmin, but can't honestly give a valid reason why.

Thanks.

Do you like blonds, brunette or red heads?

Do you like blonds, brunette or red heads?
:D:D:D

I was tossing between AFS and Dynon...
Same difference some would say as the second bought the first and both use the same components except the screens...

Now leaning towards the Skyview just because I can only put a 10 inch main and a 7inch backup screen. No room for two 10 inches, since I will have a EFII Controler on the panel...

AFS Advanced panel was my first choice but they won't do one without their ACM (control module). I already installed and wired a VPX-PRO...

Have you downloaded and read the pilot's manuals and the installation manuals? Might be worth doing that....

Dave

What really put me in the Garmin camp is I went to an AOPA Fly-In where Garmin and Dynon had booths. Garmin won the day for me. Garmin comes from a certified world where Dynon comes from the experimental world. Quite the difference in experience.

They are both good, but the Dynon EMS, is by far, the best on the market. This includes all certified gear.

Dual redundant device networks is a plus for Dynon, theirs is way better than the G3X system. That is simple as it gets. Why Garmin did what they did still amazes me and my friends at Garmin agree, although only in private. :)

Customer service is better. Do not read that as Garmin is bad.....just one is better overall.

I get to play with both. For me the HDX and a Garmin GTN650/GTN750/GPS175 or whatever you prefer in an IFR navigator is the answer.

Put simply if you offered me two identical RV's to purchase, I would pay a few grand more for the HDX system equipped plane, despite the Garmin probably costing a bit more.

If you are reading this in Australia, despite the G3X finally getting mapping, it is still sub standard and way more expense.

To the OP Dave,

This Question/debate comes up about every two months here on VAF - you can scroll through the Glass Cockpit forum and find all the previous threads, and you’ll find the same guys posting the same things in support of each. And, of course, I usually post the same thing:

All of the EFIS systems work these days. All of the companies have GREAT customer service (or POOR customer service, depending on how some individuals experienced it). The apples to apples comparison on cost is usually a wash at the levels of spending we’re talking. What makes a difference is how the particular systems work with YOUR brain. Get your hands on them and try them - then choose the one that interfaces best with you.

I own at least one of all of them (except AFS, but I use that in many airplanes, and like it too!), and have adapted to all of them. My favorite? That doesn’t make any difference - you need to try them and choose for yourself.

Take the time to find examples to play with - you’ll be spending a lot of money, so spend a little to travel if you have to.

Paul

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong, better or worse. The good news is you have a LOT of really good choices, in products, features, support, etc. My recommendation is that instead of relying on our opinions you form your own based on (in no particular order):

1. Your personal requirements
2. Your previous experience and comfort level with any of the products
3. Careful review of the product's features
4. Vendor's reputation
5. Determine if "one vendor" is important to you for IFR. If it is, then Garmin will score more points as it's the only one that has IFR certified components.
6. Ease of installation
7. Who you're most comfortable dealing with based on YOUR own personal interaction with the company, not ours.

The good news is you have a number of REALLY good choices and vendors. They all have their plusses and minuses, like everything else in life.

I've made my choice and frankly, it really doesn't matter who it is. That's my choice, not yours, and I'm happy with it.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever choice you make IF you make the effort to learn the system inside and out and use it to its fullest. Frankly, IMO that's more important that the vendor that you select!

One difference I have found is that you cannot see the Dynon screens with polarized sunglasses and you can on Garmins.

You can wear gloves during the winter and still use the Garmin G3X Touch. I don't know about the others.

A few thoughts:
- Both Garmin G3X and Dynon SkyView have EFIS products for the certified world.
- The legacy Garmin products, like the G1000, have fallen behind the current Garmin G3X and SkyView HDX offerings.
- I am firmly in the Dynon SkyView camp - mainly because Garmin burned me on my GTN-650 after the sale “known problems”. The short story was the certified side of Garmin had horrible after the sale service. I note however the G3X side service is much better. Dynon after the sale service sets the high bar across the industry.
- BUT - I put a GTN-650 in my new plane along with the dual screen SkyView HDX. I really did not want to, but I consider it the lesser evil of all the bad TSO certified GPS IFR navigator options.
- The SkyView system interface with the GTN-650 is superb. In other words the “I want all my stuff to talk to each other” is a false augment.
- I find the SkyView system to be amazingly intuitive. Factor this into your decision.

Make your choice and pay your money....
Carl

Last edited:
Dynon make avionics......

Garmin make all sorts including fish finders ;)

Garmin also drop old models whereas Dynon don't.

After playing with both, I chose the Dynon because it was specifically designed to operate more easily in turbulence with an 8 button control panel that is angled out on the bottom.

Last edited:
I looked at both Dynon and Garmin carefully before Oshkosh 2018, then went to the show to look at them in person and make the decision.

Both have nearly identical (and outstanding) capabilities, and both cost almost exactly the same (roughly $40k for a terrific 2-screen panel, big IFR GPS, autopilot, and redundancy). Garmin's ads are more attractive and I'm confident they will be in business for decades to come, so I arrived with a slight bias for them.

At Oshkosh, Garmin barely gave me the time of day, and the only person who would talk to me was a software guy who couldn't answer my installation questions.

At the Dynon booth, Rob Hickman spent an hour with me doing a thorough demo and answering lots of my questions. In person, Dynon is just as attractive as Garmin. Rob also persuaded me that the Avidyne GPS was preferable to Garmin because of the hard keys that are easier to use in turbulence (I strongly agree now that I've been using it). The cost of the QuickPanel is barely higher than the cost of the raw equipment, so it was hard to resist. I also think vigorous competition between Dynon and Garmin has been fantastic for general aviation.

I went with Dynon and Avidyne and have been very happy. The support has been outstanding. The AFS QuickPanel is beautiful and far more capable than anything I've used on a certified aircraft. I flew my first practice approaches last week, and it was incredibly easy with marvelous situational awareness. I still have a huge smile on my face.

I've been impressed with the g3xpert postings on VAF. I'm sure I would have been happy if I went with Garmin instead.

David

Long term ownership costs

Both systems are very good. I think of them as Ford and Chevy. What drove my decision is the long term ownership costs. Yes the panels are pricy. Both are, but the cost to keep the databases current was my driving factor. Dynon and Seattle Avionics has lifetime pricing their updates and Garmin does not. Yes I paid close to $800-1000 for all of the lifetime options but I am done. With the Garmin, I would get dinged several hundred per year. If you plan to keep the plane for 5 years or more, the savings really start to add up.

The other thing is, have you ever had to send in a Garmin product for repair? $$$$.

My two cents.

I like the seamless integration of the Garmin products and the easy updates.

For me, Garmin support has been top notch and very responsive. I always get somebody on the phone and if I email I get something back in 1 business day.

No doubt both are great, but after flying both systems, I prefer the Garmin, but would have been happy with the Dynon.

For the IFR stuff, the GTN+G3X combo is fantastic!

Mirroring others sentiments, it's a Ford vs Chevy debate. You really can't go wrong either way.

SteinAir was also a huge factor in my Garmin happiness. The support they provide is just second to none. Outstanding.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/sunglasses.pdf

The FAA warns against using polarized sunglasses. Unfortunately, most sunglasses are polarized, even prescription ones.

When I bought new glasses this year they asked me if I wanted polarized lenses and I said no so my prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses don't have it.

Here in the states it seems that with all the competition they want to attract you to their store with the lowest prices and then they try to charge you more for every option, and they have polarization as an option.

One difference I have found is that you cannot see the Dynon screens with polarized sunglasses and you can on Garmins.

Early HDX screens had the "polarizers" aligned in the direction that causes the screen to be darkened when viewed with polarized sunglasses, but we make a minor change to the displays so that now they are viewable with them (I don't know the cutover off the top of my head).

Also, practically any plastic screen protector, whether the glossy style, matte, etc, will change the light emitting pattern from the affected displays to make them visible.

We started going down the path of spec'ing and/or offering one ourselves, but didn't complete it due to lack of demand. It's still something we could possibly do if there is enough interest, though.

The other thing is, have you ever had to send in a Garmin product for repair? $$$$.

Yes I have. Both certified and experimental - under warranty and out. Great, quick and reasonable cost.

G3xperts have been a great resource for experimental builders.

That being said, this is a Chevy vs Ford debate. A fellow Sonex builder I know and respect works for Dynon and I think highly of Dynon, AFS and their product lines.

I just liked Garmin's UI more in the end. Staying all Garmin with the navigator was a factor because - at the time - I could basically get a GTN 625 at almost half price if I bought a G3x system.

Other than the GTN625 promotion, price and service was not a factor.

Steinair

Be sure to contact Steinair before making a decision and have them make the wire harness, they are a great resource

Customer service

<snip>
At Oshkosh, Garmin barely gave me the time of day, and the only person who would talk to me was a software guy who couldn't answer my installation questions.

At the Dynon booth, Rob Hickman spent an hour with me doing a thorough demo and answering lots of my questions. In person, Dynon is just as attractive as Garmin. Rob also persuaded me that the Avidyne GPS was preferable to Garmin because of the hard keys that are easier to use in turbulence (I strongly agree now that I've been using it). The cost of the QuickPanel is barely higher than the cost of the raw equipment, so it was hard to resist. I also think vigorous competition between Dynon and Garmin has been fantastic for general aviation.
<snip>

David

More than one decision on my airplane has been made based on customer service. Dynon was one. Engine was the other. Combined, they add up to a substantial amount of sales.

Last edited:
Both systems are very good. I think of them as Ford and Chevy. What drove my decision is the long term ownership costs. Yes the panels are pricy. Both are, but the cost to keep the databases current was my driving factor. Dynon and Seattle Avionics has lifetime pricing their updates and Garmin does not. Yes I paid close to $800-1000 for all of the lifetime options but I am done. With the Garmin, I would get dinged several hundred per year. If you plan to keep the plane for 5 years or more, the savings really start to add up.

My two cents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see on the Seattle webpage for the same info (charts/plates/diagrams/etc.) the cost is $99 yr for Dynon and $149 for Garmin.

Not sure where you get "several hundred per year" unless you're referring to an IFR navigator package.

Must be your polarised glasses, I have two sets and the orientation of them is fine for my HDX screens.

I normally use non polarised aviation designed glasses from VoleroHD but my polarised are fine.

Back