What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396, 496 internal German batteries

NYTOM

Well Known Member
:confused:Needed to replace the internal “clock” battery on my 496. Garmin specified batteries ( German VARTA MC 621) are no longer available in the USA. Lots of stories of using button batteries with wires and taping them in etc.
I found a “how to “ video on YouTube installing the original and it looked easy. It was, took about 20 minutes with the original spec battery. But I had to buy 10 batteries from Germany shipped through Turkey. I have 9 new batteries left. If anyone wants to replace theirs ( it easy, watch the video), PM me with your address and l’ll send you one free. Using the honor system, send Doug a little donation and we’re good. Only have 9 batteries .:)
UPDATE: I am out of batteries. All 9 have been adopted.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why does the 496 need a battery to power a clock, when the time can be retrieved from the GPS satellite signal? Is there anything else of importance that is powered by this little battery?

Just out of curiosity, why does the 496 need a battery to power a clock, when the time can be retrieved from the GPS satellite signal? Is there anything else of importance that is powered by this little battery?

Because it has to know the day and time to know what satellites to look for overhead (the ephemeris) before it can receive signals from those satellites. Without the current date and time the GPS will take a long time to initialize.

Thanks Bob. If the internal clock is the only thing powered by the little battery then I reckon its not an issue because the unit finds satellites long before the Rotax warms up to 122F!

Since my unit remembers other stuff, like previous trip logs, various settings,etc. I assume that stuff is stored in some kind of non-volatile storage, and the little battery is exclusively for the internal clock.

Just replaced the larger internal battery after 10 years and updated all the databases. Amazing that these 496?s just keep going, and are still updatable, albeit at a significant cost.

I guess I never thought about a separate battery for the clock, until I saw this thread. Always learning something from VAF!

Tom, i ve got a 396 that "keeps on ticking" have had thoughts about changing the internal battery. May take you up on an original spec battery offer. I will be glad to pay pal you for the cost and shipping, And am a regular supporter of Doug. Text me at 7708233426 with your details. Thanks Dennis

Tom, i ve got a 396 that "keeps on ticking" have had thoughts about changing the internal battery. May take you up on an original spec battery offer. I will be glad to pay pal you for the cost and shipping, And am a regular supporter of Doug. Text me at 7708233426 with your details. Thanks Dennis

Hi Doug
I’ll send you a battery for free. I have 4 left. Just PM me your address. These batteries are tiny. You’ll need a pencil soldering iron and some tweezers. If you watch the video on You Tube it shows the replacement step by step. If you can build a plane, you can change a battery. The hardest part of the whole process is obtaining these Garmin specified German batteries with tabs already installed. Currently looking for a new phone to replace my broken model so I’m textless for a while.

Last edited:
Mailbox has been cleaned

Just realized my mailbox was full. :eek: Issue has been corrected.:)

I?d take two of those battery?s if you could. I have a 496 and a 396 that are both in need of those batteries. I can do PayPal to you or donate to Doug. [email protected] or 970 531 3773. Thanks

I?m fresh out of fresh batteries

Thanks for the interest in the Garmin batteries. I?ve sent them out in the order of the PM requests . 8 are in the mail already with the last to go Monday morning. Glad you guys could use them.
Don?t forget Doug. If it wasn?t for this site you would never heard of this free offer.
Fly safe my friends.:)

I?m afraid I don?t know

Tom, Did my pm to you 10 minutes after the initial post get to you?

My box was filled up after the first 5 requests. I had to delete everything so I could receive more. I really can?t remember since there all in the mail already.
I guess if you get a little battery in the mail next week then I received it. I think if a PM doesn?t get thru your notified some way . Hopefully you were one of that first 5 that went out.

Back