What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 W 0-360

O-360

Probably not unless someone was a true aero engineer / qualified test pilot...

IMO: The extra weight would detract too much from the nimble handling which is a big reason to love the "3" series in the first place. The lighter the better...which is also what many F-16 guys used to say, who had experience flying the original version before mission creep added all the extra goodies. :)

Doug

IO-360 RV-3

Mine had a 360 in it for the first half of its life. She was wicked fast, raced at Sun-n-Fun and Reno at speeds over 225mph. It was flown aerobatic with the 360 and CS prop, but the weight would not allow for much fuel.

It now has an IO-320 160 hp and a fixed pitch prop which has lightened her up some, empty weight 845 lbs.

If you are building, and not planning to race, I totally agree that a build with attention to weight...like count every ounce and forget all the fancy avionics and ****, and a well built IO-320 and a Whirlwind composite CS prop would be unbeatable in performance and flying pleasure. If I were building or buying...that is the direction I would go.

Lighter is better without a doubt, empty weight under 800# with 160 HP is unbelievable.

Best
Dave

I am testing G-HILI RV-3B with an IO-320 and VP (MT) Prop. Empty Weight 733lbs. I cannot see any need for more HP! 2500'/min+ and through VNE S&L no issue...

Thanks for all the response guys,,,, this will be a new build and flown over the mtns of Colorado at elevations over 14000 ft. With a fixed pitch prop

Back