What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Florida Keys Aviation Attractions

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I'll be spending a week from the 31st through the 8th of Feb in Marathon Key. I've never been to the Keys but unfortunately my wife and I will be going from the midwest to Florida via large aluminum tube rather than in the 8. Don't have the test phase flown off yet, plus, my wife doesn't want her first RV trip to be that far.

So I'm wondering what things I shouldn't miss while I'm there from an aviation perspective. I know there is a Naval Air Station on Key West, but I have no idea if there is anything to see there or elsewhere from Miami to Key West.

Our hosts own a home there and spend a lot of time in the Keys so we'll have the "good places to dine" thing covered from a non-flyers perspective, but I'm looking for the RV folks spin.

Bummed I won't have the 8 along though. Really can't wait to see and navigate the area from the air.

I've spent quite a bit of time at Marathon Key, Pine Key, and Key West. There is plenty to do. Especially if you partake in drinks or like to fish. If my memory serves correctly, I believe there is a small airstrip on Marathon Key and they offer skydiving there.

A few years ago, there was a fellow from Michigan that had a Quicksilver ultralight on Lotus floats and he'd give "introductory" and sightseeing flights. I flew with him a couple times and it's a good time. Flying low and slow, touch & go's on the water, and the variety of fish you see in the clear blue water is spectacular. He was located in Key West; as you cross the bridge onto the Key, stay right and and he was based in a lagoon on the right. If he's still there, check it out.

Our hosts own a home there and spend a lot of time in the Keys so we'll have the "good places to dine" thing covered from a non-flyers perspective, but I'm looking for the RV folks spin.

Bummed I won't have the 8 along though. Really can't wait to see and navigate the area from the air.

I know you said you didn't need restaurant recommendations but I have to put a plug in for th the Banana Cafe in Key West.

Nailed

The guy in the ultralight got nailed some time ago by the FAA but there are a number of legitimate tour operators both on marathon key at the airport and down in Key West at the airport. There is a great number of things to do down here but the best of all is to sit in the sun and enjoy the nice warm weather. The best life down here is your feet in the water your butt in the sand and a margarita in your hand

Marathon EAA Museum

I've been through Marathon a number of times, and on the last trip noticed an EAA Museum at the Marathon airport.

http://www.keysnet.com/2013/01/21/484543/keys-aviation-history-preserved.html

Stopped in and got a personal one-on-one tour. They had a DC-3 with a tie to Grace Kelly, a Beech 18, and a single seater experimental whose name I don?t recall. But I do remember the experimental had a bad reputation and was donated to the museum on the condition it never be flown. If you mention you are a pilot, and they aren't busy, you may get to sit in the cockpit of the DC-3 and Beech and take all the pictures you like. Great way to kill a couple of hours.

John

Key West flying

At Key West Airport there is a company that will fly you out to the Fort on the Dry Tortuga's in a Dihavilland DH3 on floats and the Fort is beautiful and the views are great.

I told the pilot I was a pilot so I got to sit in the right seat since he knew I was less likely to grab something than some non aviation types do sometimes. That was awesome!

Ray Cabanas is flying tours out of the airport too. Following in his Dads footsteps, Freddie was a great pilot and good friend, took acro with him in his Pitts and Waco. Ray flies them now and takes great sunset flight pics!

If you end up down there check out Le Creperie for breakfast anytime until around 2pm? Sylvie and Yolanda are a hoot and you never know who you might be sitting next to. You can watch them make your food and they will give you the biggest and possibly BEST Cappuccino in a cup the size of a soup bowl.

They are a great source of info about what the "locals" do instead of the "touristy" stuff.

Most of all, have fun. I miss the place.

http://www.keysfisheries.com/

Don't miss the Lobster Reuben at lunch or the crab claws on the deck at sunset!

To each his own; I found the lobster reuben to be just a few notches above disgusting. But you're correct that the view is awesome.

If I found myself in the Keys again, I think my first food stop would be Fish Tales for a fried fish burrito. I think we ate there at least three times during our weeklong vacation.

At Key West Airport there is a company that will fly you out to the Fort on the Dry Tortuga's in a Dihavilland DH3 on floats and the Fort is beautiful and the views are great.

I told the pilot I was a pilot so I got to sit in the right seat since he knew I was less likely to grab something than some non aviation types do sometimes. That was awesome!

I second Jim's idea to fly to Dry Tortugas. I was lucky to do it from the left seat in my RV on my first BFR :D

Keys accommodations?

My wife and I are going to be in south Florida and the Keys in a few weeks (not by RV unfortunately). I've exercised my "search" finger here and have some good ideas with regard to aviation attractions and restaurants, but I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions for good places to stay? We don't fish, but do like to snorkel. We were thinking of staying in the middle Keys, Marathon or thereabouts, and staying away from the buzz of Key West except for a day trip. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!

take the snorkel boat out to loo key. departs from big pine key area.

call us rvers to come down and visit.

rent a boat on a nice calm day.

go to holiday isle/cocomos bar. islamorada area to take in the sights.

Key west at night.

P1000282.jpg

P1000280.jpg

P1000270.jpg

P1000263.jpg

Headed back down to Marathon November 12th for a week. Looking forward to it, but the wife didn't want to take the RV. :(

I did not enjoy the lobster Ruben and wouldn't recommend it, but we LOVED Key West! That place is a gas! Rented the little scooters and really enjoyed a day there!

This trip is with my brother and some friends and promises to be a boat load of fun, but I'll be missing my RV. I'd really like to fly the Keys......

We've flown the Keys twice in the last year and while it was great, the flying isn't anything spectacular once the novelty wears off. Granted, we've really only seen the Marathon - Key West route (short) and Bimini - Marathon - Key West (lots of water). While I'd love to fly the entire chain down from Miami, the real fun IMHO is getting "boots on the ground" and party in Key West. Flying in with your own airplane is great, but getting down in it with the people is where it's at.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Any suggestions for resorts/hotels? We were looking at a few, including Rainbow Bend in Marathon, which includes boat rental in the room rate. Any advice?

By the way, great pics Turbo! That sand bar scene looks just wild. It all looks pretty cool to a kid from the middle of the prairies. Where I come from the closest thing to that would be a wheat field full of pickup trucks off a grid road;)

KeyWest

Hemingway house tour was enjoyable,good tour guide.I was there this summer it was hotter then all get out.Plenty of pools to dip in and good places to eat.
If you like to drink and bar hop or Fish,this is the place.I stopped in Key Largo at the tourist information center(on the right as you get on the key)They get fax's every day as to who has the best rates on places to stay.I paid $365 for a three day package included breakfast.Expect to pay $200-$400 a night in season.

If you drive,Please be careful a lot of people Die on rt 1 every year,it's a deceptive and dangerous 100 miles of two lane.The sun is low,your over open water stuck behind a slow moving tractor trailer.People get stuck out,in on coming traffic all the time with tragic results.It's worse at night when alcohol gets added to the mix.If you can,drive early in the day.

Keep an eye out for the Aerostat on Cudjoe key its the last tethered one in country:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Headed back down to Marathon November 12th for a week. Looking forward to it, but the wife didn't want to take the RV. :(

I did not enjoy the lobster Ruben and wouldn't recommend it, but we LOVED Key West! That place is a gas! Rented the little scooters and really enjoyed a day there!

This trip is with my brother and some friends and promises to be a boat load of fun, but I'll be missing my RV. I'd really like to fly the Keys......

I'm with you on the lobster Rueben; my friends and I found them unpleasant enough that they became a running joke. In general I think the Keys Fisheries restaurant is overpriced for average food.

I can tell you conclusively the one thing I'd go for in a nanosecond, if I found myself in Marathon again: a fish burrito from the Fish Tales market (right by the Marathon Lady dock). I think we ate there at least three times during our weeklong Keys trip.

Hemingway house tour was enjoyable,good tour guide.I was there this summer it was hotter then all get out.Plenty of pools to dip in and good places to eat.
If you like to drink and bar hop or Fish,this is the place.I stopped in Key Largo at the tourist information center(on the right as you get on the key)They get fax's every day as to who has the best rates on places to stay.I paid $365 for a three day package included breakfast.Expect to pay $200-$400 a night in season.

If you drive,Please be careful a lot of people Die on rt 1 every year,it's a deceptive and dangerous 100 miles of two lane.The sun is low,your over open water stuck behind a slow moving tractor trailer.People get stuck out,in on coming traffic all the time with tragic results.It's worse at night when alcohol gets added to the mix.If you can,drive early in the day.

Keep an eye out for the Aerostat on Cudjoe key its the last tethered one in country:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advisory on the highway; I will absolutely respect that advice.

I'm with you on the lobster Rueben; my friends and I found them unpleasant enough that they became a running joke. In general I think the Keys Fisheries restaurant is overpriced for average food.

I can tell you conclusively the one thing I'd go for in a nanosecond, if I found myself in Marathon again: a fish burrito from the Fish Tales market (right by the Marathon Lady dock). I think we ate there at least three times during our weeklong Keys trip.

Thanks! This entire thread is making me hungry...

can you direct me to the 'facilities' please???

Thanks guys! ............. Where I come from the closest thing to that would be a wheat field full of pickup trucks off a grid road;)
I'm with Gerry here, but after drinking and partying in a wheat field, ( orchard in my area) and nature calls, I have a pretty good idea where to go, and what to do ( behind pickup #7).:p
......what the heck to do in the middle of 300 boats in the ocean?
Ok, wise guys, what about the ladies?:rolleyes:

I'm with Gerry here, but after drinking and partying in a wheat field, ( orchard in my area) and nature calls, I have a pretty good idea where to go, and what to do ( behind pickup #7).:p
......what the heck to do in the middle of 300 boats in the ocean?
Ok, wise guys, what about the ladies?:rolleyes:

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! First you jump in and stand or swim in water that is at least waist deep....and, well, you can figure it out from there.

Cristal clear water,more turquoise then blue looking from the shore.You need to swim around a bit,it's a big pool,you'll be OK!:eek:

Back