What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally got to fly an RV

I bought my 1st -4 in 1994, sold it in 2001, bought another in 2003; still have it. But I'm building a -7. I'll miss the -4's near perfect handling, but I won't miss the cramped space, fairly common Bubba-in-Back cg/gross weight issues, being able to easily observe/communicate with new-to-flying passengers, somewhat limited out-&-back range (I fuel at home with mogas), etc.

For me, the other issues made the decision easy. (And my CFO's insistence on a seat on the front row would have overridden the other choice, anyway.)

Charlie

RV-7 instructions: "Install and rivet the perfectly formed part into place. Enjoy a sandwich and a cool beverage."

RV-4 instructions: "Mine the ore. From the ore create the part according to plans, then discover it doesn't quite fit right. Consult VAF to and see that many other people had same problem. Do what they did and create new part from old. Match drill new part to existing structure. After discovering that existing structure has interference with rivet pattern, adjust holes as needed and install and rivet part into place."

Disclaimer: I lived the above while building my -6A next to a buddy building a -7. I assume the 4 is more similar to the -6 than it is to the -7.

What a cool video! Have not seen that perspective before. I sure miss flying in that part of the world.

Wow, those swept wings sure induce a lot of vibration------your head is shak'n all over the place.

RV-7 instructions: "Install and rivet the perfectly formed part into place. Enjoy a sandwich and a cool beverage."

RV-4 instructions: "Mine the ore. From the ore create the part according to plans, then discover it doesn't quite fit right. Consult VAF to and see that many other people had same problem. Do what they did and create new part from old. Match drill new part to existing structure. After discovering that existing structure has interference with rivet pattern, adjust holes as needed and install and rivet part into place."

Disclaimer: I lived the above while building my -6A next to a buddy building a -7. I assume the 4 is more similar to the -6 than it is to the -7.

Hey .. not all those -7 parts are perfectly formed! I actually had to deburr the edges of one or two, and then I had to figure out how to stop the rivets from magically flying from their bins and self-installing in the structure. I've alway heard that it was good to learn to rivet...from a -4 driver. ;-)

haha! Love it
:D
I really like the 4 also but for my first build and who knows, maybe my only build in my life i thought the plans kit or non pre punched 4 whatever you wanna call it was to much for me to take on.
Im happy with my choice so far although i have just barley started.

RV4

My 4 was the most fun, the most difficult to build and even tho I'm in my late seventies, I may do it again.
RV4 built sold
RV6 built sold
RV7A built flying

a little perspective

I know these comments are tongue in cheek but I see references to how hard the -4 is to build when in fact it is not.

as someone from the era of homebuilt aircraft built from scratch, the RV-4 KIT was fantastic! Sure, one had to build jigs, read the instruction manual, read the plans, plan ahead, figure things out... but come on... compared to anything else out there it was fantastic. Pre packaged hardware, hydroformed parts, great builder support. Compared to building a tube and fabric airplane the RV-4 kit is a piece of cake. I can't believe how many people act like it is such an almost, super human feat , to build this simple kit aircraft.

CM

some kits you build, some you assemble.... :D

running for my nomex now.......

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Of all the RV's I've flown or owned, the -4 is truly a standout. The forward visibility is borderline spooky, right? I say go for it!

Thanks, Michael. ;)

By the way Nick, would you be willing to share what camera you used and how you mounted it on the -4 for that video?

Thanks! - Peter

The whole -4 is so hard to build compared to a <insert later model here> thing is way overblown IMHO. Nothing is all that hard about building any of these planes. Sure the latest models are more pre-fabricated and largely pre-drilled but learning the very simple steps of laying out rivet lines, drilling holes, riveting, etc. IS NOT HARD. It is just time consuming. The "hard" parts - cowling, canopy, etc. are just as hard on the later models as the older ones.

The basic tradeoff is time versus money. You pay more for the later kits and more is done for you hence less opportunity (I didn't say no) to screw up.

The people who built all the 3s, 4s, and 6s (all similar in amount of prefabrication) were not and are not building superstars. We just put in a few more hours doing basic mundane tasks over and over again.

The commitment level to needed to see the thing through to completion is the "same" in my mind even if the total hours may be a bit more on the earlier kits.

This is my opinion obviously but a fairly strongly held one. Not everyone can afford or needs the features of the alter designs and I hate to see people possibly being scared off for now reason.

AMEN

The whole -4 is so hard to build compared to a <insert later model here> thing is way overblown IMHO. Nothing is all that hard about building any of these planes. Sure the latest models are more pre-fabricated and largely pre-drilled but learning the very simple steps of laying out rivet lines, drilling holes, riveting, etc. IS NOT HARD. It is just time consuming. The "hard" parts - cowling, canopy, etc. are just as hard on the later models as the older ones.

The basic tradeoff is time versus money. You pay more for the later kits and more is done for you hence less opportunity (I didn't say no) to screw up.

The people who built all the 3s, 4s, and 6s (all similar in amount of prefabrication) were not and are not building superstars. We just put in a few more hours doing basic mundane tasks over and over again.

The commitment level to needed to see the thing through to completion is the "same" in my mind even if the total hours may be a bit more on the earlier kits.

This is my opinion obviously but a fairly strongly held one. Not everyone can afford or needs the features of the alter designs and I hate to see people possibly being scared off for now reason.

AMEN! its not that tough!
cm

Nick,
Something you REALLY need to consider is how much 'stuff' do you plan to haul around after you are flying....? :) Rosie

Luggage01.jpg

Luggage02.jpg

Last edited:
I really appreciate hearing different viewpoints. When I got a chance to fly the rv4 I thought I would like it, I didn't anticipate just how much. I already have the preview plans for the 7 and I ordered the plans for the 4 yesterday. I want to ride in a 7 before I make a decision. I do know I am hooked.

The time lapse was shot with a GoPro hero 4 silver. I set it to take a shot every 0.5 second. I mounted it using an nflightcam billet mount. The editing was done using GoPro's software, for creating the actual time lapse, the exported to iMovie for titles and music. I believe I had the resolution set for 12mp.

Back