What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Giving rides to strangers

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
twit.jpg

So I'm working the Minnesota Public Radio booth at the Minnesota State Fair ("Our state fair is a great state fair") yesterday, when a guy who follows me online comes up and says "what does a guy have to do to get a ride in your airplane?"

"He has to ask," I replied.

"Is that it?" he said.

"That's it."

A co-worker took me aside later and said, "don't you worry about giving rides to strangers?"

And I don't. Too much.

I did run into a guy at the airport a month or so ago who I didn't know and when he was oogling the plane, I said, "let's go."

He was waiting for his son who was volunteering over at the Commemorative Air Force, so I was pretty sure he wasn't some suicidal or homicidal maniac.

But, of course, you can never be sure and I do admit to thinking once while letting a guy have a little stick time, "he could crash us real quicklike."

On the other hand, I think this is the best outreach we can do for general aviation and is a logical extension of the "kids at the airport fence."

But still..... you know?

If we worried about every little possible remote chance of things happening we would never live life. Of course we wouldn't be pilots either.

I know for me if it wasn't for a friend calling me up one day and say meet me at airport, I wouldn't have made my pilot license a priority. Even those that don't continue on to be pilots, will respect and support airports and the industry from a citizen standpoint.

twit.jpg

So I'm working the Minnesota Public Radio booth at the Minnesota State Fair ("Our state fair is a great state fair") yesterday, when a guy who follows me online comes up and says "what does a guy have to do to get a ride in your airplane?"

"He has to ask," I replied.

"Is that it?" he said.

"That's it."

A co-worker took me aside later and said, "don't you worry about giving rides to strangers?"

And I don't. Too much.

I did run into a guy at the airport a month or so ago who I didn't know and when he was oogling the plane, I said, "let's go."

He was waiting for his son who was volunteering over at the Commemorative Air Force, so I was pretty sure he wasn't some suicidal or homicidal maniac.

But, of course, you can never be sure and I do admit to thinking once while letting a guy have a little stick time, "he could crash us real quicklike."

On the other hand, I think this is the best outreach we can do for general aviation and is a logical extension of the "kids at the airport fence."

But still..... you know?

But still......yes I know. Once I got my license, I decided that if a kid wanted a flight, he got one - when I was a kid I'd have done just about anything to get a ride. And I never got one. I extended the notion to adults, as I know some people craved a plane ride as a kid...never got one...and life took them over.

But I take precautions. If it's a kid, I require that a parent come along. So I'll rent a Warrior or 172. I'll put the kid in the front seat and the parent in the back. If the parent wants to go first before the kid - just to see how safe it is - that's ok with me.

Also, I only do this in side-by-side seating. I do let the pax have some stick time, if they want it. Some do; some don't. With side-by-side if they freeze on the controls I can sweep my arm up underneath their arms and wipe their hands off the controls.

I always have them watch me pre-flight the airplane as my thoroughness tends to give them a good feeling. I brief them on what we are going to do and end the briefing by saying that if they start the feel the LEAST BIT uncomfy in any way - physically, emotionally etc. to NOT try and tough it out but tell me immediately and we will land. I tell them that it's not worth it to delay landing and we can always go again some other time.

Almost all the time it was a fun ride for all - including me.

However recently my best buddy wanted to go for a ride - we wanted to scout our duck hunting ground before the leaves came out. He had never flown in a small airplane. Engine start, taxi, run-up, was all good.

But once we got airborne he stiffened right up and told me that the slightest fishtailing of the plane was freaking him out. Those were his words "freaking me out". I said we should land right away and he said no he wanted to see if he got used to it. I flew out over the shoreline and for some reason that calmed him down. Maybe it was a lack of ground detail. Not sure. He asked if we could go back to the Duck Pond and I said sure but that freaked him out again. So I headed for the barn. Once we were on the ground we were fine.

I never saw anything like that - he has zillions of commercial air miles in intercontinental travel.

The point of my story, I guess, is that you never know how the pax will react. My buddy's reaction was a total surprise to me. And him.

What I do

I also feel like our passion in aviation can and should be shared with curious, sometimes less fortunate non-pilots and enthusiasts. I have given many many many rides, and seldom disqualify anyone short of physical limiting factors. Most people expect they must pay $$$ or have some special invitation, and I say...Just give me any reason to fly! I have a semi-formal 5-10 minute briefing that covers significant details of the aircraft, the weather, the airport, and what we will do on the flight. I always give them the option to abort at any stage, and the flight can be as short as 1 minute after take-off for the return to landing. Also good to brief even the strongest stomach ,coaster loving tough guy how to use his barf bag I hand him. Thus far, I havent had a bad experience..just a lot of RV grins and requests for "more reasons to fly".

Can't judge a book by the cover

Back in the late 70's (yep I'm old), I was employed as a flight instructor and
charter pilot. There had been a story circulating about a pilot on a scenic
flight that had the back of his head wore out by his passanger with a small
hammer (tunnel vision and all he made it back to the airport). With that
in our memories, this guy walks into the office and wants to be dropped off
at Catalina Island (26 miles off Long Beach). He looked liked he had been
on a 2 day binge, offered to pay cash, and wanted to go right away.
I was the chosen one on this day and had visions of this guy wanting to
end it all mid channel. So I went into the shop and asked one of our
A/P's if he wanted to go for an airplane ride. But he had to bring the bigggest
wrench or hammer he had and put it under the rear seat. Now you know what I was thinking.
The three of us got into the Bonanza and headed to Catalina. I chatted with the customer in the
right seat (he wanted to sit there) and he appeared to be a nice guy. As you would expect,
the flight was uneventful. Just goes to show, you shouldnt judge a book by the cover, but we do anyway.
It doesn't hurt to be prepared, however :D

Last edited:
Remember to use the EAA Eagle Program

That is great Bob! Can't count how many times I have given rides as well.

It is great we now have the Eagle program as well as the Young Eagle program. It not only gives them a way to continue their journey but increases the insurance for the pilots.

A year or so ago I contacted a guy in my area to request a ride in his RV. I had never met him and he didn't know me. He said sure and we set a time and place. During the preflight discussion around his RV he stooped down to inspect the nose wheel. His shirt came untucked partially and I saw a pistol tucked inside his belt. At first I was surprised and even wondered whether I wanted to continue the test ride. As I thought about it, I decided he was a smart guy and I would probably have done the same under the circumstances.

Last edited:
It's all about our legacy

While I was flight instructing in the 80?s at a Cessna Training Center we had a close call with a ?student?. One of our female instructors was on a pre-solo training flight when her large student proceeded to try and commit suicide/murder. He locked both arms on the controls of the 152 in a diving attitude. The instructor was able to elbow him hard enough in the ribs to regain control of the aircraft, she declared and emergency with the tower and returned to the airport. The police were waiting for them when they landed. A suicide note was found in his car! Needless to say she was really shaken up.
Having personally witnessed that, I regularly offer rides to ?strangers?. We must pass our flying legacy on to others??.as those who preceded us.

Giving strangers rides - I wouldn't unless I had some time to talk and find out a little about the person and their state of mind. Or had a personal reference/referral. Still need to take safe measures (like guard the stick 100% of the time they're flying, if you choose). One of the scariest rides I ever gave was to an F-16 pilot. He thought he was in a 10-G capable fighter there for a few seconds...

Last edited:
The one part of this that nobody has mentioned yet is the liability.

If you happen to injure or kill a friend or a stranger in or near your plane, that family will be suing you, and/or your estate and spouse.....a nightmare for them.

I enjoy Young Eagle flights; I feel like I owe aviation that.

But, I don't go around soliciting people to go fly with me.

The one part of this that nobody has mentioned yet is the liability.

If you happen to injure or kill a friend or a stranger in or near your plane, that family will be suing you, and/or your estate and spouse.....a nightmare for them.
Excellent point. Likely could drag our for years. Would be tough making your family have to deal with your death and the litigation.

After a briefing and orientation, I ask first time passengers to place their thumbs under the shoulder straps at their chest for take off and landing, along with a sterile cockpit (no talking on take off or landing). My hope is that if a first time passenger gets a little antsy about take off or landing, instead of reaching for something like the control stick, they already have a grip on the shoulder strap and maybe they will keep it there. So far, it has worked with no issues or complaints. I do offer some stick time at altitude beginning with straight and level.
The grandchildren now get in the plane and assume the shoulder strap position for take off.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A. N942PT

Dues paid

Back in the late 70's (yep I'm old), I was employed as a flight instructor and
charter pilot. There had been a story circulating about a pilot on a scenic
flight that had the back of his head wore out by his passanger with a small
hammer (tunnel vision and all he made it back to the airport). With that
in our memories, this guy walks into the office and wants to be dropped off
at Catalina Island (26 miles off Long Beach). He looked liked he had been
on a 2 day binge, offered to pay cash, and wanted to go right away.
I was the chosen one on this day and had visions of this guy wanting to
end it all mid channel. So I went into the shop and asked one of our
A/P's if he wanted to go for an airplane ride. But he had to bring the bigggest
wrench or hammer he had and put it under the rear seat. Now you know what I was thinking.
The three of us got into the Bonanza and headed to Catalina. I chatted with the customer in the
right seat (he wanted to sit there) and he appeared to be a nice guy. As you would expect,
the flight was uneventful. Just goes to show, you shouldnt judge a book by the cover, but we do anyway.
It doesn't hurt to be prepared, however :D

Hey, Ted Bundy was the most charming guy in the world. While you can't judge a book by the cover you should definitely listen to your gut, and always remember the only person looking out for you, is you.

It's the same reason some people opt to carry a gun. Think of all the people you interact with on a daily basis. If 1/10th of 1 percent of the population is criminally insane... that's a lot of potential maniacs you could come across.

I've never turned down anyone that wanted to go for an airplane ride, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't.

A year or so ago I contacted a guy in my area to request a ride in his RV. I had never met him and he didn't know me. He said sure and we set a time and place. During the preflight discussion around his RV he stooped down to inspect the nose wheel. His shirt came untucked partially and I saw a pistol tucked inside his belt. At first I was surprised and even wondered whether I wanted to continue the test ride. As I thought about it, I decided he was a smart guy and I would probably have done the same under the circumstances.

Hah! I know who you are talking about. Needs a bigger pistol :)

speaking of liability....

Not to derail this good-natured discussion, but some of the locals here have a simple, probably not-so-legally-bulletproof form like the Young Eagles sign before taking a ride. ( and yes, it needs to stay on the ground, in the hangar or tie-down)

I also have to say that almost nobody is able to open the slider on my -9a the first few tries, until they REALLY 'get' that you have to push up at the back to get it started...which brings up the emergency egress, passenger briefing stuff.

...yes, you might scare off the faint of heart, but I think if the airline tells you where your floatation cushion and exits are, we should at least try to emulate that level of professionalism.

( probably even relieve some tension, should you need it.....tell the passenger that 'should the cockpit become depressurized, oxygen masks will spring from the glove-box....ensure that you first apply one to the pilot, before donning your own mask! :)

( probably even relieve some tension, should you need it.....tell the passenger that 'should the cockpit become depressurized, oxygen masks will spring from the glove-box....ensure that you first apply one to the pilot, before donning your own mask! :)
To break the ice with a new passenger, I'd always ask, "Hey, do you know what all these buttons and switches do?" Worked every time! :)

No one has mentioned it, but I presume everyone follows their op limits and informs their passengers of the experimental nature of the aircraft. I do give rides, and so far that caution has not changed anyone's mind.

Last week we took some friends up to Ashland, OR. Back seat passenger took some photos, posted them on facebook. One photo clearly shows "Experimental" placard over the door. One of her friends posted below the photo, "What is that!"

The liabilty question is something we each have to address in our own way. Personally I feel the risks are acceptably low when I'm in the plane (yes, I know how self-serving that sounds); however, I stopped signing off student pilots for solo some years ago, after a couple of them flew contrary to my instructions when I wasn't there. Just felt the liability risk was too high and not controlled.

Not to derail this good-natured discussion, but some of the locals here have a simple, probably not-so-legally-bulletproof form like the Young Eagles sign before taking a ride. ( and yes, it needs to stay on the ground, in the hangar or tie-down)
)

Perry, I didn't think Canadians, with their more rational legal system, had these concerns?

If we worried about every little possible remote chance of things happening we would never live life. Of course we wouldn't be pilots either.
This.

I've given many kids and adults rides and only sort-of questioned one. I sold a ride for a charity auction so didn't see the winner until at the airport for his ride. He was a very old gentleman, and very stiff. It took at least 15 mins to get him up on the wing and into the cockpit of my Aircoupe, and longer than that to get him back out. I determined after that to not promise flights sight unseen. And it turned out his winning bid was less than my cost...I could have donated my cost instead of the flight and they would have been ahead.

However, his friend who helped him said he had been a pilot and wanted one last flight over familiar territory...what price to fulfill someone that wish?

I have given many rides with no problems. a child did punk on the microphone once, just seconds before landing, but I will pass on one lesson. we were staying with people in vegas and they asked me to give their adult developmentally disabled son a ride. he wanted some stick time and immediately slammed the stick full left. he was fairly strong and we were at 1500'. that will never happen again. I also once gave my father's portly friend a ride. he couldn't support his weight getting out and pretty much dropped on his butt onto the wing. thankfully there was no "sitzmark".

Last edited:
Giving Rides to Strangers

In the late 60's a friend named Del and I were instructing for an FBO at KMKE (Milwaukee, WI) when a new Beech Debonair arrived at the FBO. Del and I reviewed the POH and set out to try the new airplane with the chief pilot's approval. A young stranger heard us talking and asked if he could ride along. We said OK and had him sit in back. His demeanor and reactions were completely normal during all this. Eventually we were on the takeoff roll on a beautiful summer sunny day when the door popped open. Anybody who's experienced this know it's noisy but doesn't affect the flight characteristics in any significant way. Our passenger immediately panicked and became completely irrational. He screamed, grabbed both of our shoulders and arms in a flurry of activity and tried to climb over the seat backs. Our reassurances did not help quiet him a bit. Eventually one of us contained him a bit while the other went around and landed. After landing the pax became rational again and apologized to us. We had discovered a new way to crash after having a door pop open on takeoff......

on a positive note, I once gave rides to some pilots I didn't know [remember the "golden years" of the RV when everyone wanted to look? :) ] the following year at the van's fly-in a man comes up to me and in an angry voice says, "YOU cost me a lot of money." I had no idea who he was or where this was going. Turns out I had given him a ride, as well as his wife, who immediately had to buy an RV, requiring him to sell his jeep to help pay for it. [guess I'm an enabler]

I give them

Not overly concerned with the liability. There are many things you do each day that are more dangerous then flying in a well maintained RV.

Took 2 sets of almost complete strangers on rides at OSH.
Usually it's a friend or associate not a complete stranger.

I plan on starting to fly young eagles as soon as I finish my interior

The vomit affair

Easy to laugh now but back in the late 90's I was asked by a friend to take a young Irish exchange student- a pilot also who bragged about all his aeronautical experience on the drive to the airport- on a low level 3.2 hr pipeline patrol around the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. I let him fly my 172 from the right seat to the pipeline terminal and not 5 minutes after I took the controls he started vomiting. And vomiting. He had a brand new sectional after he filled the bag he folded the sectional and made a cone and filled it too. He was completely miserable and yes he was still vomiting. I dropped him off in Holland Michigan because quite frankly it was really smelling in the plane by then. I finished the patrol in Muskegon MI turned south on a deadhead leg, picked him up and let him fly to South Bend IN. He was fine while he was flying but once again after all that rest he started puking again all the way to Gary IN where the line ended.

I was amazed that he could puke so much and he said he didn't eat anything while in Holland. So I let him fly from GYY to C56- 25 mi- and he was ok. But I took over on about a one mile final and no kidding he popped his door open on the rollout and sprayed my landing gear for good luck!

On another time I was cleaning the Skyhawk and a gent walked up to me and said he'll put 10 gals. Of fuel in the tanks if I take him up the western shore of Lake MI so he can see downtown Chicago from the air. What the heck I figured so off we went. So on return I pull up to the fuel pump and he gets out feels his pocket and says "I forgot my wallet in the car." You guessed it and so did I as he roared through the airport gate. Oh well.

Years ago a customer from Israel visited our company for a machine acceptance checkout, during the course of a few days he mentioned he was a pilot and owned a Mooney 201.
I saw this as a great opportunity and offered to take him for a ride around the local area as soon as he finished the checkout and signed off on the machine.

Fast forward several days and I?m preflighting the aircraft and he was standing on the opposite side facing the tower, suddenly I heard a heavy stream of liquid splashing on the concrete, at first I thought the tank was leaking but as I got to the other side I found that was not the case. I questioned him and his response was he always drained the sump before flying, to which I replied we do also??.. just not out on the ramp.

The flight went well and we returned about 1 hour later, as I was passing through the FBO lobby the gal at the desk said the tower called with a warning that the instructor better keep a closer eye on the student or they would turn me in for improper preflight procedures. At the time I was instructing part time at the FBO so I was well known to the tower guys.

I later learned they were giving a tower tour to a high school group and got quite a kick out of my student.

Can't do it. Value my meager estate too much to risk it for some stranger's entertainment. Things can go wrong and it's not worth it. That what flight schools are for. They have the insurance. I'm somewhat amazed others are so unconcerned about the issue with family finances at stake. Look at the crazy suits out there and think....is it worth your children's inheritance for a stranger?
Have taken a couple strangers up that were interested in the aircraft. None were very appreciative nor thankful even though they said they were comfortable and enjoyed the free ride that probably cost me $50 to $75 in gas I would much rather have used to go somewhere. So much for donating to the cause....
I don't care for giving rides at all unless it's to go for lunch or to an event, then it's usualy buddies or fellow experimental pilots I'm much more comfortable with.

Forever grateful

I have learned not to attend the Van's Homecoming sans airplane. I went up there three years in a row and experienced the phenomenon of 'being alone in a crowd'. No one to talk to as the flyers pretty much knew each other and their groups seemed to be closed.

So, the last time that we were there, my bride and I were walking along the flight line and I was taking pictures of RVs and explaining to her basic airplane stuff.

Along came a man who had an RV-6-A if I remember correctly. He asked if I was a pilot, said that he was going to a local field for some low priced fuel, and asked if I wanted to go. I replied that I was a student pilot and that if he would consider taking my bride on the fuel flight, I would be grateful. He said 'ok', lets go. My bride had a great flight with this gentleman. Upon arrival back at the Homecoming, she departed the airplane and reaffirmed my desire to purchase an RV kit.

I am embarrassed that I didn't get that pilots name - his kindness to me and my bride is forever be appreciated. We went home happy but I won't be back to a Homecoming until my bride and I fly our own RV to the party. I expect that I will offer rides on occasion depending on the circumstances.:)

My life was completely changed by a ride given to a stranger. The "stranger" was me. When I was 15-years old I used to hang out at the Taylor County Wisconsin Airport (KMDZ) just a few miles up the road from my family's dairy farm. The owner of the FBO was a nice gentleman who let me walk around on the ramp and look at airplanes whenever I was there. This was in the early 80s, long before anybody worried about people wandering airports enjoying aviation.

One day I was sitting in the FBO, being a young airport bum (escaping farm chores) and a man walked in saying he had an "extra seat" in his Christen Eagle and needed to fill it. I didn't know that the FBO owner and the young airshow performer had already made a plan to give me a surprise ride. At this point in my life I had flown exactly 2 times in a Cessna 152, and never aerobatics.

So off we went. The egress briefing was a lot for my teenage brain: "If it gets windy and noisy, you look back and I'm not there, jump out of the airplane and pull this D ring." I remember trying to look brave, but that really scared the daylights out of me--just not enough to make me back out!

The pilot went through his entire airshow routine (at least that's what he told me), and I loved every second of it. I was fascinated by the G meter, the sounds, the bubble canopy, and most of all the horizon and how I just couldn't keep track of it! I didn't get sick in the airplane, but the bicycle ride home that afternoon was tough since my insides had been thoroughly rearranged.

I can trace back the goals I set and the direction I took in life to one moment where it all snapped into place. The takeoff that day on Runway 34 marked the end of being a farm boy and the birth of a pilot. Accelerating after lift off with the wheels barely off the ground, followed by the pull straight up into the blue, was pure inspiration. Right then and there I discovered my life's calling. Those two good men in the FBO, conspiring to give a kid the flight of a lifetime, set me on the path to later become an Air Force fighter pilot, commercial airline pilot and lifelong lover of general aviation and experimental aircraft.

Gash,,,, I loved your story as about the same thing started me in this field but let me tell you people the flip side of giving rides to strangers. Late afternoon at Ryan field just outside Tucson and two guys drove up and offered big money for me to take them to somewhere on the coast and they were in a hurry... I got a real bad feeling real quick and explained that I could not fly at night and that my 7 would not hold three people. Luckily, they left, again in a hurry and the next morning I read in the local paper about two guys matching their description had been found dead near Ryan field have been shot, probably, by a drug cartel.. This made the mountains of Colorado look pretty good even if it was really cold.

They have the insurance. I'm somewhat amazed others are so unconcerned about the issue with family finances at stake. Look at the crazy suits out there and think....is it worth your children's inheritance for a stranger?

I drive to work every day and expose myself to the same risk. When the newspaper guy walks up my driveway in the winter, I expose myself to the same risk. When I fly by myself and am on final over the houses of South St. Paul, I expose myself to the same risk (insurance would never cover the lawsuits from plowing into a dense neighborhood).

But I actually DON'T hear many stories of people losing their homes because something happened when they were being given a ride. (the latest occurrence, of course, was with the Breezy at Oshkosh; we'll see how that goes, although the pilot is dead).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm not saying it CAN'T happen. I'm saying as pilots we regularly manage risk but we don't eliminate them. We carefully evaluate the liklihood of the risk.

For those who make people sign a waiver, do you have a copy of the language you could provide?

Last edited:
My kids' inheritance

Is sitting in my hangar. Raise your kids to be self reliant and they won't need your "meager estate". So you can go do whatever you want without having to worry about providing for your kids when you are gone.

When you get to GYY

Take public trans. to downtown Chicago or stay at the beautiful airport and you won't puke. I hope. Really it is a nice facility and I hear you can get a ride to the el train and be downtown real quick. Makes up for the loss of Meigs somewhat.

Is sitting in my hangar. Raise your kids to be self reliant and they won't need your "meager estate". So you can go do whatever you want without having to worry about providing for your kids when you are gone.

Wow, now there's a fine way to care for one's family. :eek:
Good luck with that theory....

Last edited:
Wow, now there's a fine way to care for one's family. :eek:
Good luck with that theory....

Assuming the kids are grown, I think it's a fine approach. I (and my siblings) have always told our parents...spend it all, enjoy it, there's no need to leave anything for us as *you brought us up to take care of ourselves and not depend on your largesse*. You don't owe us a dime, and other than heirlooms and sentimental items, we don't expect to receive anything.

On the flip side, my entire family has explicit instructions from me...if the worst happens and I'm killed in an airplane accident, under no circumstances are you to litigate against Van's, Lycoming, any supplier, vendor, etc. Take the insurance money and enjoy a grand wake in my honor.

Kids are grown

All in their mid 20's. All have finances of their own. I fed them, housed them and educated them and it was the most rewarding experience of my life. And best of all I gave them a work ethic; I told them all don't wait for somebody like the gov. to give you something because they'll only give you what they think you should have. If you turn off tv and get out and do something; the sky is the limit in this great country of ours. Much better than have them waiting for me to pass so they can live for a little while off my "meager estate."

I have been blessed. And that's all I care to say about that.

For those who make people sign a waiver, do you have a copy of the language you could provide?

I am not a lawyer but what I have heard is a signed waiver is only for the person taking the ride and signing the waiver. It does not keep any of their family members from suing you or your estate. Even if the waiver had language in it about his survivors could not sue, that is non-binding due to no one can sign away anyone else's right to sue.
It is not even taking a stranger for ride ride that puts you at risk. A well know guy at our airport took his friend up for a short evening flight and they both perished in a crash. The survivors of the passenger sued the estate of the pilot for wrongful death. I do not know of how the settlement turned out.
I still take friends, and friends or friends, for rides but do not take strangers. Even with friends I minimize the risk by never doing more then a simple sight seeing flight and never a "hey watch this" with them in the plane.

Last edited:
I've given rides, lots of them.

There was an elderly couple back in Connecticut when I built the Long EZ in the early 1980's. He was Jack Be Thin, she was the opposite and would eat no lean. They would stop in every week end after church to check on progress.

After the first flight and phase one they would come to the Great Barrington Airport to watch and drool for a ride. I was so wound up in those days, gave rides to anyone who walked up and asked. So Jack Be Thin went first, he loved it and reported same to his wife who was most anxious to go next. We arranged a step ladder to get her robust butt into the back seat and off we went. It was a heavy weight take off but worked out fine. If you could get the canard up, the LEZ would fly, and fly it did. She was ecstatic, most enthusiastic passenger up to then. We had some difficulty getting her out of the airplane but did get it done.

That was then. I don't give rides much anymore. At age 75 it is a risk factor. I don't much care if I go in but I don't want to take anyone with me.

All in their mid 20's. All have finances of their own. I fed them, housed them and educated them and it was the most rewarding experience of my life. And best of all I gave them a work ethic; I told them all don't wait for somebody like the gov. to give you something because they'll only give you what they think you should have. If you turn off tv and get out and do something; the sky is the limit in this great country of ours. Much better than have them waiting for me to pass so they can live for a little while off my "meager estate."

I totally agree and have followed the same path. Thank you Jim for expressing my thoughts so well!

Couldn't agree more. And as the other poster said, I don't want a penny from my parents. Good to see some others that have the same life ethic. :)

Same here. My father raised me, put me through school (undergrad), and taught me how to work. Nothing would make me happier than for him to spend every dime in his retirement. Won't happen - he's been retired for 17 years and still fairly frugal;) - but I still want him to enjoy every last red cent that HE has earned over his lifetime.

Last edited:
Is a Pink Shirt a stranger?

Took 2 sets of almost complete strangers on rides at OSH.

I also took a couple of strangers flying while at OSH a couple of years ago. Well, not complete strangers since we had hung out at the beer tent the night before. I recently discovered someone got pictures while we were taxiing.
668866.jpg

660849.jpg

I highly recommend giving back to the controllers in this way. Both guys had never flown the RIPON approach and really appreciated seeing it from the pilot's perspective. It also got me a tour of the tower during the airshow which was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Agree. The kids are educated. They have learned to earn.
Besides, they would sell the plane and spend the money anyway..
As for rides, the risks are significant. If any injuries, you will be sued. If you can live with that, go for it. Very satisfying.
Cheers.

I don't want to turn this thread into a personal finance topic but I would like to give rides AND leave my kids something. They are the only record that we were ever here so while I've taught them how to work -- although one is disabled -- I'd like to give them what previous generations in one fashion or another have given me.

So i don't really think it comes down to an either/or situation w.r.t. giving a ride.

Life is full of risks.

Back