Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 PM

Default RV-3 fatality

Another bummer

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...30X01259&key=1
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM

****. Left wing folded.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Has this ever happened to an RV before (wing folding in straight & level)??

It happened to a Zenith Zodiac earlier this year, Zenith's utter silence on the matter sealing my decision to build an RV...
Denton, TX (KDTO) - VAF #510
Got the Bug & Wife's Signoff
RV-9 Tip-Up, Empennage & Wing
Old 08-31-2006, 07:17 PM

If I remember there was a wing mod that was supposed to be done on early RV aircraft..
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdredmond
I think that the Van's demonstrator RV8 had a wing fold up, but I don't believe anybody ever figured out for sure why. I think most figure that it was due to somebody overstressing the airframe by cranking back too hard, but since the aircraft has no data recorder, you can't know for sure. They subsequently stress tested the b-jeebers out of the wing design (very publicly, to their credit) and it passed with flying colors.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szicree
I think that the Van's demonstrator RV8 had a wing fold up, but I don't believe anybody ever figured out for sure why. I think most figure that it was due to somebody overstressing the airframe by cranking back too hard, but since the aircraft has no data recorder, you can't know for sure. They subsequently stress tested the b-jeebers out of the wing design (very publicly, to their credit) and it passed with flying colors.
I found that accident . The probable cause was:

"The intentional or unintentional sudden application of aft elevator control by an undetermined aircraft occupant that exceeded the design stress limits of the aircraft. The aircraft gross weight, which exceeded the maximum allowable for aerobatics, and airspeed, which exceeded the maximum maneuvering speed for the weight, were factors in this accident."

So pilot error on that one. That's no surprise...
Denton, TX (KDTO) - VAF #510
Got the Bug & Wife's Signoff
RV-9 Tip-Up, Empennage & Wing
Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I found that accident . The probable cause was:

"The intentional or unintentional sudden application of aft elevator control by an undetermined aircraft occupant that exceeded the design stress limits of the aircraft. The aircraft gross weight, which exceeded the maximum allowable for aerobatics, and airspeed, which exceeded the maximum maneuvering speed for the weight, were factors in this accident."

So pilot error on that one. That's no surprise...
Made me think how much we might be at the mercy of our passenger - if they unexpectedly grab the stick and yank back. Perhaps add a glass rod which connects the stick base and the stick. They yank back too hard and (snap!) stick comes off in their hand.
Bearhawk #1053
Shop under construction
Lehi, UT
Old 08-31-2006, 08:32 PM

Default RV-3 wing mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV505
If I remember there was a wing mod that was supposed to be done on early RV aircraft..
Go here:

Randy Lervold sums up the situation quite well.

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/History/history.htm

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/In...ratingEarlyRV3

or:

http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb96-03-1.pdf
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid anyway

Last edited by arffguy : 08-31-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Wing failures on RV-3s

Quote:

It happened to a Zenith Zodiac earlier this year, Zenith's utter silence on the matter sealing my decision to build an RV...
There were four or five wing failures in early RV-3s that lead to fatalities; some historical information on those failures can be found here: http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/In...SparBackground

I seem to recall someone on the Matronics Zenith forum (if I recall correctly; it may have been a Yahoo forum) saying Zenith did respond to the report of that failure to the extent that Zenith said they were waiting for more facts from the NTSB. Which seems reasonable to me since one failure does not make a trend.

When you compare the number of past fatalities due to wing failures in RVs versus Zenith aircraft relative to the guesstimated flight hours in each fleet, I suspect neither one comes out as being more prone to this type of structural failure than the other. When you consider other suspected systemic issues with either line of aircraft (nose gear failures on RVs, canopies failures on Zenith 601s come to mind from my past reading) I think they tend to balance out and both companies do try to address them when they suspect a design problem.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 PM

I have a buddy building a 601XL. He called the factory regarding the fatal accident mentioned on this post.
The 601 failure was due to the plane being assembled at the airport...and the pilot using non graded bolts to attach the wings to the fuselage. I would not consider that a design flaw. Ivan/Sugar Land, Texas.