What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deming, NM

RonH

Well, as of a couple of hours ago, nobody here has to listen to me being an old mother and warning you of R-2916 on the way down to Key West...instead, now you guys get to hear me warning you about R-5115 in S. NM! I've just been named the site manager of the Deming Aerostat site! To keep this RV related, the other good news is that the wife has green lighted the -14 project. Is anyone at all that is on here out of Deming? I know there is a very active EAA chapter with several RV builders in Las Cruces and that's probably where I'll spend a ton of time, but was hoping there may be one or two in Deming as well.

A few years back, the El Paso chapter was a hotbed of activity, they even came from Las Cruces! We even had the little ol prop maker from Marfa TX flying to the meetings in El Chuparosa! You might want to check them out as well.

I listened to you! I actually thought it was a great write up about that restricted area. Thanks for sharing.

Deming rocks!

Deming NM!

Though it's not an RV story .. I had a great experience in Deming. We were going to a friend's wedding in Las Cruces (great town!), and we stayed over at another friend's cattle ranch in Deming. A city slicker friend had a Saab 900, that sprung a leak in one of the cooling hoses ... a short, L-shaped hose with different diameters on each end.

According to the local Napa auto parts guy, the nearest Saab dealership was in Phoenix, and it would take a week to order the part. I asked if I could go through his stock of radiator hoses. Of course, yes. So, after a bit of hunting, I found a hose that had the right bend with the right diameters ... mid way along a Chevy standard stock hose. Two new hose clamps and quick work with a Swiss army knife (my constant companion, except when I donate them to the TSA) fixed the leak and we were good to go. Probably $5 worth of parts, rather than $100+ worth of Saab stuff.

That car was known as "the Chevy" since then. Buy American!

No doubt, I could fix anything on my plane if I turned up in Deming, on the aviation isle of the Napa store. ;-)

Good Eats...

During our several journeys passing through Deming we discovered a hole in the wall mexican restaurant on Pine St. I think it was called El Mirage. This restaurant had made it on the cover of Bon Appetit Magazine! The mom and daughter running the restaurant treated us like family.

Hate to make restaurant recommendations?so just in case, fly before you eat :eek:?then enjoy!

During our several journeys passing through Deming we discovered a hole in the wall mexican restaurant on Pine St. I think it was called El Mirage. This restaurant had made it on the cover of Bon Appetit Magazine! The mom and daughter running the restaurant treated us like family.

Hate to make restaurant recommendations…so just in case, fly before you eat :eek:…then enjoy!

Check out Irma's next time you're in town. I tried that place for breakfast simply on the recommendation of the hotel clerk last week when I was out there and I was blown away! Chorizo and egg burrito, hash browns, spicy red sauce, coffee, and a 40%...yes, 40%, that's how good it was...tip came to $10. Not a fancy place by any means, but the food was to die for!

P.S.
Could you be referring to the El Camino restaurant on Pine?

Last edited:
I love southern New Mexico! The chile and people are great. I spent 18 years in Cruces and can't wait to go back down for a visit. Chope's is good as well a nice drive through the Pecan orchards south of Cruces.

Then there's Little Nellie's in Cruces and Roberto's makes big batches you can take home.

There's nothing like the smell of roasting chile.

Now you added another to my list of stops to try out!

Thanks!

Bob

Ride for Ron

When I gave you that ride from Summerland I told you that be one of the most expensive rides you ever had. That boy of yours can help buck rivets. Good luck

When I gave you that ride from Summerland I told you that be one of the most expensive rides you ever had. That boy of yours can help buck rivets. Good luck

You did, indeed tell me that, Dave. Now that cost of living is going to be half of the Keys and income will be up, it's time to start!

Las Cruces

Ron,
There are a couple of builds going on here at LRU. Ed Mitchell (edm57 on the forums) is building a 9A, and there was a 10 under construction. Mine thankfully is done, so if you need a motivation ride, let me know;)

Back