What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arizona Heat

calake

I am heading to Tucson for a family gathering. My 7 lives in a hangar in the Northwest, so not sure about parking on a ramp in Arizona when the temp is over 100. I have a good canopy cover, but is there anything else I should do? I do know about density altitude, but 85 degrees is hot for me.
Thanks,
C A Mansfield
RV 7A

Shouldn't be a problem CA. We head to Oshkosh every year with temps in the 90's to just over 100. Put the canopy cover on and you should be OK. If you want you can crack the canopy open to let some of the heat out. Not sure where you're staying but you might see if they have covered Tee's available to look to put it in a hanger if available.

Use your canopy cover and you should be good to go. By the way, it's supposed to be 119 degrees in Phoenix tomorrow. :eek:

Not sure which airport you are going to in Tucson, but a lot (all...:)...) of the snowbirds have already chickened out in the heat and headed North so there may be empty hangar space around.

My theory is they leave when the temps here hit 90 F and return when the Northern temps hit freezing...:D

PS this morning it hit 85 F at 8 am

Thanks

Going to Marana and will check for hangars. Plan to leave Sedona early morning, before it get REALLY HOT.
Thanks,
C A

I travel through the hot spots and park the RV-6A on the ramp

The canopy cover is important as others have said, but I haven't had any problems. Early morning departures are smart for comfort and density altitude.

I heard on the radio tonight that it is supposed to be 129 in Death Valley tomorrow - gives emphasis to the name. Makes our temperatures in the 90s seem cool. Of course it is a dry heat out there...

Bob Axsom

Heat Issues

Actually, you may have some heat impact. In different RV's I've had Garmins and Dynons not play nice when first started after being shut up in a hot RV. After they got airborne and cooled off, they became nice again. These RV' s had cooling fans under the panel.

Others have reported similar issues in other posts.

You must also take extra care of the pilot and pax! Hydrate, even if you aren't thirsty. Take along some emergency water and gear in case you go down. Follow major highways so you have a chance of ever being found. Plan a shorter day with more rest because of the heat.

Heat alert,,, heat alert

Okay, hi in Granby 84? today, we are going to burn up,,,, Low tonight will be in the lower 40s, Chapter 1267 will start serving pancakes at 7 AM on 6 July,, come on up and cool off. Bring a jacket

I live in Oklahoma where summertime temps can range in the 110 degree range. My airplane is dark blue and absorbs heat. In addition to covering, I delay fueling until just prior to departure. My airplane tends to pee fuel out the tank vents when the tanks are full and the sun heats it up.

N33WE.jpg

Back