What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Aera

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the folks at the Garmin booth at OSH can update my Garmin Aera. I don't have good internet where I live.:(

They can install firmware updates for you or at least they were doing that last year. They do not do database updates.

Try Wireless

Does anyone know if the folks at the Garmin booth at OSH can update my Garmin Aera. I don't have good internet where I live.:(

Jim, I live out in the doolies of south Texas and understand the struggle for a good internet provider. I DON'T recommend HughesNet satellite service. A land line is just as good as them.
Try asking around and see if your neighbors know of a good "wireless" provider. There are towers springing up everywhere. (Just ask Pierre Smith :rolleyes:) You are probably within range of a good provider.

It will really improve your internet experience.

Good luck,

My house sits in one of those geographical oddities. I can see the poles that have Charter high speed cable Internet on them from my house but can't get the service because my street's franchise belongs to a company that went bankrupt about 15 years ago and Charter won't touch the homes on this street.

So I have tried:

Dialup (Really Bad)
ISDN (Slow and most likely not available now)
HughesNet (Don't fall for their commercials! It stinks!)

and then I got lucky and figured out that Verizon's 4G service is available at my house so I got one of those MIFI 4G Hotspots and have never looked back. This thing serves my entire house. I typically see speeds of 10MB down and 5 mb up. It is more expensive than cable and we are limited to 20Gb a month for that high price so we cannot watch on demand movies, Netflix and that kind of thing but it works great for web browsing and the occasional Youtube upload/download.

There you go Brian!! Yes, that was my salvation for about 18 months. Wow, I'm sorry to hear you cannot get the wireless. I now get 100 gigs/month for $60.00 and am able to watch Aerial Tweeto solo her solo her C-150 on Flying Wild Alaska :D

Good Grief, I feel for you Brian. I never thought about THOSE kinds of hurdles. Hope you get some other options soon.

Best regards,

Hello Jim,

Yes, we plan to again have a customer service table in the G3X tent at Oshkosh where we can perform a free software upgrade on your Aera.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks,
Steve

My house sits in one of those geographical oddities. I can see the poles that have Charter high speed cable Internet on them from my house but can't get the service because my street's franchise belongs to a company that went bankrupt about 15 years ago and Charter won't touch the homes on this street.

So I have tried:

Dialup (Really Bad)
ISDN (Slow and most likely not available now)
HughesNet (Don't fall for their commercials! It stinks!)

and then I got lucky and figured out that Verizon's 4G service is available at my house so I got one of those MIFI 4G Hotspots and have never looked back. This thing serves my entire house. I typically see speeds of 10MB down and 5 mb up. It is more expensive than cable and we are limited to 20Gb a month for that high price so we cannot watch on demand movies, Netflix and that kind of thing but it works great for web browsing and the occasional Youtube upload/download.

Don't feel all alone Brian.
I live on the other side of the World to you and it is exactly the same for me.
We can only get wireless 3G or sometimes 4G despite living only 20kms out from a major regional centre that they have been calling a City for years. I get 25Gb of ?ncluded" download for the equivalent of 150 of your dollars per month that drops out all the time. No improvements coming my way anytime soon either the trusty Government supplier tells me. :(

Back