What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap settings for 6A

NYTOM

Well Known Member
What would be the optimum flap setting degrees steps for a 6A using a electric flap positioning system? :) A little confused. :confused: My last plane didn't even have them. :eek:

I don't think it matters too much (other than using Van's recommendation for the max flap travel). On my 7 I used 10, 20 and 40. In practice anything more than 30 is _a lot_ of drag - the exact amount is not critical.

Max set

Thanks Kevin. So do you think it would be wise to set maximum travel to about 30 degrees to keep myself out of trouble? If these went full 40 degree flap by mistake would it drop like a rock? :eek: Just want set some safe margins. :)

Thanks Kevin. So do you think it would be wise to set maximum travel to about 30 degrees to keep myself out of trouble? If these went full 40 degree flap by mistake would it drop like a rock? :eek: Just want set some safe margins. :)

I'd set max to whatever Van's says full flap travel is for a six. There is no problem using full flaps, its just that they serve their purpose very well ;-)

I set mine according to Van's documentation

I set mine according to Van's documentation for the RV-6A. I only use full flaps or no flaps. The flaps are not going to hurt you but limiting the travel will reduce your operational options.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
If your setup is FP you will enjoy the full flap, if CS I think less flap for normal ops is better because you have to add a lot of throttle to keep a normal glide profile- do as you wish

I set up my manual flaps for 0°, 15°, 26° and 38°.

Fully retracted, first notch=optimum take-off, second notch=normal landing and maximum deflection for short field.

With 40° max, some people have had problems with people leaning against them on the ground and "popping" the leading edge out.

Last edited:
I have the electric flaps and positioning system set for 10, 20, and 40 degrees. As Pierre taught me, I use 10 degrees on down wind, go to 20 on base, and throw them all down on final. Do this every landing I have made (except during BFR and my CFi wants to see a no flap landing). Never have used for take off.
I have fixed pitch prop and i think flaps help stabilize the speed on approach as I always use a pretty tight high pattern for landing (do not like dragging it in).
Also I use 10 degrees for the 90 kt. Flight from Rippon to Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Better than "Ask Jeeves"

Thanks for all the great response's. Mel I saw a flap leading edge popped out at Osh a few years ago and it wasn't pretty. :eek: One of my fears. And Philip your method sounds like a good plan I'm going to adopt. :) Thanks for getting me out of the dark again guys. I don't know what I'd do without this site.

Mike Seager taught me to use half flaps on the downwind by holding the switch down for a 4-count. On base, go ahead and use full flaps. He explained that half flaps improve lift; full flaps give you the drag you need to slow down. This ain't a Cessna.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

Mike Seager taught me to use half flaps on the downwind by holding the switch down for a 4-count. On base, go ahead and use full flaps.

This is mostly what I do, but instead of counting I just look at the flap. When it gets about half way down I let off the switch. I think 4 seconds in my plane would have me well past half flaps though. I'll try and remember to count next time I'm out...:)

Mike Seager taught me to use half flaps on the downwind by holding the switch down for a 4-count. On base, go ahead and use full flaps. He explained that half flaps improve lift; full flaps give you the drag you need to slow down. This ain't a Cessna.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

If I use flaps, I use the counting method. I can hear when the flap motor bottoms out through my headset. 4 seconds is half flaps. I do a lot of no flap landings in my 8A. In order to hold the nose off as long as possible, having the flaps up helps greatly. If there is a passenger in the back, I use flaps every time to help keep the nose down during the flair, or I can't see anything, then retract the flaps on rollout to assist holding the nose off.

When flying solo, I find myself trying not to use flaps unless I have come in high or fast, then I will put them down to get the plane where I want it. A lot of my theory comes from the idea of having a off field landing in the case of an engine failure. As a result, during 75% of my landings, when I pull the power back on downwind, I don't use throttle until I am taxiing off the runway. As a bonus, the flap motor gets less wear and tear.

Randy
8A

My first post and I just set this one up

I just purchased a 6A and was taught to use 20 on Base and full after the fence. The first time I tried this I didn't see anything that indicated 20d. Being a 172 pilot I was looking for a gauge. What i ended up doing was measure the flaps on the ground and put a small piece of tape that lined up with the wing. I used that and find that if i count a hair over 3 seconds I have 20d.

Welcome..

Good to have you on here, Jim.

...and the -6's are, in my opinion, one of the best flying and nimble of Van's designs.....good choice.

Best,

Back