What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hidden oil door hinge

Pete, your local "used auto parts mart" (AKA junk yard) has hundreds of them all sizes and shapes! Commonly known as a "fuel door hinge"! Got mine for 3 bucks!!

It's a short length of MS piano hinge and a piece of bent aluminum. Good grief man, fabricate something!

r72n8o.jpg

Last edited:
Door

Dan,

I just looked at the picture and yes I think I'll make one up tomorrow.

B&B aircraft supplies in Kansas has the cam-locs for $10 bucks each and Cleaveland tools has the hinge for $41 dollars.

Ron in Oregon

Dan,
Do you find that your single latch does the job? I see some builders with dual latches.

Latch

Dan,
Do you find that your single latch does the job? I see some builders with dual latches.

I used a single latch like Dan. Plane has been just over the speed red line with no problem.:D Saves a couple of ounces and they all add up!:eek:

I subscribe to Bert Rutan's admonition: throw it up-----if it comes down, it's too heavy.:p

Oil door latch

I suspect the problem where two latches are used is because the oil door / cowl will flex to some degree causing the latch arm to slide out from behind the cowl lip. I bonded the cowl portion that I cut out to the back of the Vans oil door and it is much more rigid and lighter that a metal door. Time will tell but I think it will be fine.

Back