What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun anyone? (April 9-14, 2013)

I go every year...

I live one hour away by car or 15 minutes away by RV-7A. I'll be there Tuesday April 9 but then have to head to Nebraska to see my mom. Sun'n Fun is a great way to get your juices flowing after the winter solstice. It's a mini-AirVenture and so is much more relaxed but with plenty to see. If anybody needs an idea for places to eat, let me know. For example: Texas Cattle Company in downtown Lakeland. Great steaks grilled over an oak fire.

I think we are nearly getting to a point on this thread where we dare say -

dare, dare,

Sorry - Blazing Saddles.... ;-)

That we could tentatively arrange a meeting of like minded individuals, perhaps near a place of libation, after the airshow and before wash up, prayers and supper......

You know - a beer call :D

Come on - someone suggest a date, place, time and we will be there.

Us Brits can be a bit feisty - after all, you Colonials stole our recreational real estate over - what - tea.....

Seriously.

Suggest somewhere and we will be there.

:cool:

...You know - a beer call :D

Come on - someone suggest a date, place, time and we will be there.

Us Brits can be a bit feisty - after all, you Colonials stole our recreational real estate over - what - tea.....:cool:

They've got a great little beer garden right in the middle of the place that works well, but I'm open to suggestions....

And actually Mike, I believe it had something to do with taxation without representation...;)

My Word.......

A Colonial who understands irony :D

Respect Sir !

You are now in charge of the arrangements.

I shall wear beige slacks, a lilac blazer, yachting cap and cravat.

You won't miss me.

:cool:

I'm non-reving down Tuesday night and doing the metal working class on Wednesday. Then air-showing it on Thursday along with walking around and getting a LOT of info for my upcoming 10 build!

I'd certainly be interested in meeting up with folks for a beer.

So it looks like we will be flying out of Delaware (KILG) on the 8th to go down for the week. Anyone flying down that day from this area? Anyone have any route suggestions?

Also looking for advice on where to park when I get there, assuming I have a choice. I'd like to be with other RVs.

Thanks all,

Matt

So it looks like we will be flying out of Delaware (KILG) on the 8th to go down for the week. Anyone flying down that day from this area? Anyone have any route suggestions?

Also looking for advice on where to park when I get there, assuming I have a choice. I'd like to be with other RVs.

Thanks all,

Matt

Found alot of info on the website. I have my big HB printed to park in the homebuilt section, correct? Got myself a rental car as well. Do I need to buy some tie downs for the grass?

Tie Downs

Yes dont forget the tie downs got to have them lot cheaper to bring your own.Also dont miss the corn roast best corn you will ever eat its on the map.
Hope to meet lots of RVer's at HBC.
Bob

Found alot of info on the website. I have my big HB printed to park in the homebuilt section, correct? Got myself a rental car as well. Do I need to buy some tie downs for the grass?

Matt,

HB will get you to the parking with other RVs but you can't camp there, if camping is your plan. HBC will get you to the camp-by-your-plane area where there are plenty RVs and owners. That's where you want to be if you plan to camp.

At one point, I had kind of written off coming to SnF due to limited vacation time, funds for the build, etc. Right now though, after the last few weeks I've had at work, I need a $&^@ing vacation badly, so I might see about taking Friday off and driving down for a three-day weekend.

We shall see.

I will be there Thursday and Friday. I would love to meet up with "the Group" while I am there. If a get together is planned, post info here.

My mission is to finalize my panel, so I will be spending my time with the vendors. I hope they are ready!

Thanks

Just a general comment for those who haven't been. Sun n Fun is kind of a junior varsity Oshkosh with (nearly) as many airplanes and not (quite) as much hype. It is the other "biggie" for experimental aircraft each year and used to even be sponsored by the EAA but liability issues stopped that. It's the first "big" air event of the year and the weather is usually quite good, tending toward blue skies and warm to hot days. There are three basic ways to attend: Drive in, fly in, or fly in to one of the many nearby airports. If you fly in to Lakeland, be sure to read and heed the NOTAM for the no-radio entry rules (just like at Oshkosh). You can camp and either walk or take the free trams that constantly move people around the airfield (it's quite large). Or, you can fly in to Zephyrhills, Plant City, Bartow, etc. and rent a car and hotel it. I've done all three and they all work. FWIW, the entry route/pattern might seem a little daunting, but actually it's easy to fly.

HBC does stand for "home-built camping" and as others have said is mostly RV's. If you fly in for the day or longer but don't care to camp, they will put you in HB (home-built) parking which is right along the main runway. Just follow the "rules" and have a readable card that you can show the taxi-directors so they will know your intentions. HB parking is "up front" and features a nice mix of experimental aircraft, but it can get a bit hectic in there (and dusty/sandy too) since a lot of people taxi in and out during the times the field is open (before and after the airshow events).

There are flying demonstrations, warbirds, etc, etc. All-in-all a great time, but if you are like me and my friends, probably what you are really coming for are the commercial vendors (and the "show deals"). The four big side-by-side permanent buildings you can see in the overhead pictures are all for vendors and they will be chock full of EVERYTHING you need (and a lot you don't). Sun n Fun may be second to Oshkosh in some respects but it's ahead of just about everything else. Don't miss it if you don't have to.

P.S. I have nothing to do with Sun n Fun except that me and my flying buddies all like going there.

Enjoy...

Last edited:
Lee, thanks for the info. I will be flying commercial into Tampa and doing the hotel - rental car trip. I know the air shows are a big draw, but I am going for the vendors. Im glad to hear there will be plenty of places to spend my money and pick up or order parts. If will be nice to gt to some warm weather too!

Just a general comment for those who haven't been. Sun n Fun is kind of a junior varsity Oshkosh with (nearly) as many airplanes and not (quite) as much hype. It is the other "biggie" for experimental aircraft each year and used to even be sponsored by the EAA but liability issues stopped that. It's the first "big" air event of the year and the weather is usually quite good, tending toward blue skies and warm to hot days. There are three basic ways to attend: Drive in, fly in, or fly in to one of the many nearby airports. If you fly in to Lakeland, be sure to read and heed the NOTAM for the no-radio entry rules (just like at Oshkosh). You can camp and either walk or take the free trams that constantly move people around the airfield (it's quite large). Or, you can fly in to Zephyrhills, Plant City, Bartow, etc. and rent a car and hotel it. I've done all three and they all work. FWIW, the entry route/pattern might seem a little daunting, but actually it's easy to fly.

HBC does stand for "home-built camping" and as others have said is mostly RV's. If you fly in for the day or longer but don't care to camp, they will put you in HB (home-built) parking which is right along the main runway. Just follow the "rules" and have a readable card that you can show the taxi-directors so they will know your intentions. HB parking is "up front" and features a nice mix of experimental aircraft, but it can get a bit hectic in there (and dusty/sandy too) since a lot of people taxi in and out during the times the field is open (before and after the airshow events).

There are flying demonstrations, warbirds, etc, etc. All-in-all a great time, but if you are like me and my friends, probably what you are really coming for are the commercial vendors (and the "show deals"). The four big side-by-side permanent buildings you can see in the overhead pictures are all for vendors and they will be chock full of EVERYTHING you need (and a lot you don't). Sun n Fun may be second to Oshkosh in some respects by it's ahead of just about everything else. Don't miss it if you don't have to.

P.S. I have nothing to do with Sun n Fun except that me and my flying buddies all like going there.

Enjoy...

See you there Lee, my family and me are going to stay at Disney Animal Kingdome Lodge sun n fun week;)

Can't wait to see you there, Fernando! I think you will really enjoy it, especially as you are such an accomplished builder. It will be great for you to see all the new things available---the vendors especially, really try to put their best new equipment and capabilities out for all to see.

Buen viaje!

I'll see you there!

Lee...

No angry noises here!

Factor this into your Sun'n Fun planning: Team AeroDynamix will be performing on Thursday and Friday and also during the night show on Saturday. For those of you who have seen too many souped up stunt planes tumbling through the sky making angry noises you are in for a treat. Come by and say "hello". We enjoy meeting all the RV builders and flyers.

diamondloop2.jpg

greenwoodfb17.jpg

3578dwteamrvlarge1.jpg

columbus2012.jpg

Lee, thanks for the info. I will be flying commercial into Tampa and doing the hotel - rental car trip. I know the air shows are a big draw, but I am going for the vendors. Im glad to hear there will be plenty of places to spend my money and pick up or order parts. If will be nice to gt to some warm weather too!

Be sure to have some pocket change with you. As you take the exit from Hwy 4 to go to Lakeland, there is an automated toll booth at the end of the road. If you don't have the quarter, it'll take a picture of your license plate and you'll get to write them a check...

Just take the next exit

Be sure to have some pocket change with you. As you take the exit from Hwy 4 to go to Lakeland, there is an automated toll booth at the end of the road. If you don't have the quarter, it'll take a picture of your license plate and you'll get to write them a check...

Take the next exit past the toll exit (I can't remember the number but the one closer to Tampa) and avoid the toll. I paid the toll my first year of attendance and skipped it ever since. I would fly in, but it would take a Grand Caravan to haul everything my wife needs to be semi-comfortable camping!

Camping just one night?

We will be returning from Key West mid week of Sun N Fun, if wx allows would love to cross that off the bucket list but only have maybe one night. Reading sun n fun stuff I cant find if one night of camping is available? Is it like Osh where you have to pay for min 3 or 4 days? Ideally landing around 11am on wed, and spending the aft there would be great. Need to depart for the great white north the next morning.

Suggestions or comments welcome.

Smokey, I am not much of a fan of air shows but I will be there Thursday and I will watch you guys. I am even looking forward to it! Hope to see you there.

Trust me

Smokey, I am not much of a fan of air shows but I will be there Thursday and I will watch you guys. I am even looking forward to it! Hope to see you there.

Me either, since I've seen more than my share of knife-edge flight and Lomcevaks, but this Team will draw you back in as it has done for many of us old jaded pilots:)

Best,

yep...getting excited...

...3 weeks to the beginning of Sun-n-Fun and I am getting excited to once again experience all the Florida weather, airplanes and good people!!! It's been a few years since the last SnF, and this time I will be attending as a builder!! :eek: So I am planning on talking to a lot of vendors (and walking the line looking at RV's!) Since I will be there on Wednesday and Thursday I will get to see Team Aerodynamix for the first time and hope to be able to meet many of my "friends" I haven't met yet! :D Should be a good time! Getting ready!!

Hey can anyone recommend a good set of tie downs to take with me to Sun N Fun?

I used fly-ties 2 years ago and they held good in the tornado while aircraft a few feet away got destroyed. The soil is quite sandy and challenging for most tie downs.

I did see a broken 'Claw' nearby, but it was trying to hold a Grumman Mallard!

I'll be stopping off at HBC this year en-route between L.A. and England. Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Since you asked...

Hey can anyone recommend a good set of tie downs to take with me to Sun N Fun?

I have a few of these left. Just $55 + shipping.

tiedowns001.jpg

tiedowns007.jpg

Each kit contains the following items:

? Three Tornado Tie Down cable sets
? Three 10-foot lengths of 3/8-inch polypropylene rope
? Nine 10-inch plated steel stakes
? One PVC tube to store stakes
? One claw hammer
? One Scotch-Bright pad for cleaning stakes
? Instruction sheet
? One custom made canvas storage bag

I made myself a set of cable tie downs and they were put to the test at the 2011 EAA Sun-n-Fun fly-in at Lakeland, Florida. A tornado swept through the homebuilt parking area and a RV-3 parked twenty yards north of my RV-8 was torn from it?s corkscrew tie downs and landed upside down on top of another RV. A RV-7A parked twenty yards south of my airplane was torn from it?s tie downs and landed 200 feet away, upside down. Both totalled. My aircraft, secured with three cable tie downs didn?t move. The only damage sustained was from parts of other aircraft that blew into mine as well as some blowing sand damage to the paint. I have since been urged by friends to make the Tornado Tie Down available to owners of RV aircraft and similar low-wing aircraft.

PM if interested.

I'm hoping to make it down again this year, weather and work schedule permitting. I'd like to arrive at HBC on Wednesday, and fly home on Saturday.
My work schedule was looking good for a few weeks and I was starting to look at potential fuel stops for SNF. But, a sudden schedule change has me on the road next week. Drat :(

See y'all on Wed. Diane and I are driving in on Tuesday (we like to camp in style, too much gear for the RV).

We are planning on doing some volunteer work this year since the project is complete. Look for us at the flightline doing homebuilt parking and registration Wed or Thurs. Hope to be there with our pals Jerry and Nancy Marstall (KAVL Q200)

The drive in also give us a chance to stop by Chamblin Book Mine on the way home. :D

Eagle's Nest arrival

Looks like we will arrive in the RV (the diesel powered one) on Tuesday evening and the other RV (the 12) will show up on Wednesday. Thursday is our Big Day, with the Eagle's Nest kids arriving on a chartered A320, courtesy of Jet Blue. That should be our big media day. Thursday and Friday the kids from the new Orlando EN-6 project will be there. The 12 will be flown (except the last leg into SnF) by Austin Malcomb. Austin is written up on page 125 of this month's Sport Pilot and the May issue of AOPA Pilot which will be available at SnF. Stop by either RV!

Bob

I am going to be running around the grounds much of the week, but am currently scheduled to be "parked" at the Kitplanes booth (sorry, not sure where that is) from 1400 - 1500 on Tues, Wed, Thurs for a "Meet the Editor" thing...so if I don't run into you on the grounds, stop by and say Hi!

I hope to arrive in Tsam on Monday, but probably won't get to spend much time by her, so if any VAF'er sees someone climbing on the little purple/blue airplane in HBP, would you please shoo them off for me? ;)

Sun 'N Fun

I'll be at HB parking first thing Tue morning. I'm only traveling from KBKV, so it's only a :20 flight. I'm planning on commuting every day Tue - Fri. Not sure about the weekend..

I'll be around Wed, Fri and sat probably wearing some vaguely skydiving related T-Shirt and a VAF cap - say hi if you see me !

Mike N

Just got to FL

Well me and Izzybear came up with a plan to hit SnF this year.....kind of a spontaneous thing.....well drove 983miles in 16 hours yesterday to get to Venice FL........gonna be heading to SnF on Tuesday to see the vendors.....very exciting!!! Hope to meet some of you fellow VAFers at the show!!!!!

Well me and Izzybear came up with a plan to hit SnF this year.....kind of a spontaneous thing.....well drove 983miles in 16 hours yesterday to get to Venice FL.......

Hey Skyking, wish I was back in Venice to say Howdy. Maybe catch you over he weekend.

My bride and I are driving in on Wednesday, but I'm required to do the tourist thing Wednesday and Thursday, so I'll see you guys Friday and Saturday.

Out of town?

Hey Skyking, wish I was back in Venice to say Howdy. Maybe catch you over he weekend.

Hey Gary......I take it you are out of town.......so will you be at SnF ? I am going to try and head out with Izzybear to HBC to se the VAF gang that has come this year.....let me know.....would like to say hello and see your bird!

HBC

Home built camping has seven planes already (six if you don't count the Maule).
Mary and crew has most of the "stuff" setup, the weather is fantastic and all is well with the world.;)

Great!

Hey Mannen.......be sure to keep the "nice wx switch in the ON position" Izzy and I will meet you in the am!!!

Okedoke!

Will try.:D. Just look for the "Russian" airplane. I'll either be there or the hospitality tent.

Will do Mannen.....we will be getting there early...... hopefully as long as you get up out of the tent before the crack of NOON haha :eek::D

Well me and Izzybear came up with a plan to hit SnF this year.....kind of a spontaneous thing.....well drove 983miles in 16 hours yesterday to get to Venice FL........gonna be heading to SnF on Tuesday to see the vendors.....very exciting!!! Hope to meet some of you fellow VAFers at the show!!!!!

Hope you guys have a good time. Let me know if you see anything we all HAVE to have!

Back