What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Tip Over

Can the title of this post be changed to better reflect the story. It didn't "go down" due to an in flight failure...perhaps "RV flips on landing in Jersey County"...???

Sorry to hear about this incident...:(

EDIT: Thanks for changing "down" to "flip"...

Last edited:
Good grief! Not designed to land on grass? Please. I couldn't tell if the gear folded, looks like maybe it did, but gee whiz not designed to land on grass? The media dramatizes everything, and had there been a fatality, they would milk it as long as possible. How embarassing they can be!

Good grief! Not designed to land on grass? Please. I couldn't tell if the gear folded, looks like maybe it did, but gee whiz not designed to land on grass? The media dramatizes everything, and had there been a fatality, they would milk it as long as possible. How embarassing they can be!

Man am I sorry to hear that our RV's aren't designed to "land on grass". At least 5 of us "nose-rollers" cheated death this past Sunday when we landed at Cedar Mills on Lake Texoma, TX.

There were around 9 taildragger RV's there, too.

The media very rarely ever does justice to an aircraft accident/incident and now we have an owner, or maybe he was flying someone else's RV, telling the media that he really shouldn't have landed there!

flip

The news report quoted the pilot (i think) as saying he realized he was traveling too fast on landing and "hit the brakes" then it rolled over. Contributing factor? Nose dragger guys, it it possible to over stress the thing on grass with just brakes? Inquiring minds and all that...

DM

Yes, I think that is true.

The news report quoted the pilot (i think) as saying he realized he was traveling too fast on landing and "hit the brakes" then it rolled over. Contributing factor? Nose dragger guys, it it possible to over stress the thing on grass with just brakes? Inquiring minds and all that...

DM

Keep in mind that you can flip a tail wheel if you break to much.:eek:

Kent

note the Alton Il. owner of the plane quoted as saying the airplane is not designed to land on grass. :eek:
Keep in mind he probably wasn't at his best when someone asked him for a comment.

Nauga,
who doesn't feed vultures

so sad

It's just been an all-around bad week for RV's.

But, I'm thinking with more and more RV's flying the more one is likely to hear
about the good and the bad!:eek:

What do the truckers say...keep the rubber side down;). I'm just glad this pilot was fortunate enough to escape without being badly injured!
Regards

Here's one of a bunch of questions.....was the airplane in compliance with Van's nosegear SB? IIRC Van's first 'factory' was on a grass strip - I think someone got the 'not designed' part as misinformation.

I'm glad he was able to walk away.....

Just fill out the incident form, please:

----
GENERAL:
Model: 6A,7A,8A,9A
Flipped: (or not)
Engine:
Prop:
Airport & Runway:
Operational Phase: landing, taxi, etc
Pre-fold event: Selectable answers: Normal rollout, PIO/galloping, nose gear first touchdown, shimmy/vibration noted on rollout, etc
Ground/air Speed:
Braking: Light-Medium-Heavy
Weather Conditions:

WEIGHT & BALANCE (at time of incident):
Nose:
Left:
Right:
Location on the Van's W&B charts:

NOSE GEAR:
Leg: (believe there have been 3 versions)
Wood (oak) stiffener:
Leg Metalurgy Testing:
Yoke: (believe there have been 2 versions)
Bearings: (believe there have been 2 versions)
Biscuits staked:
Tire pressures:
Bearing Preload:
Pull out:
Pants Installed:
If installed, ground clearance, tire clearance:

GROUND SURFACE:
Material: sod, gravel, dirt, asphault, etc
Hardness:
Smoothness:
Topology at start of or just before the catch or skid: Dead rabbit, pot hole, ledge, etc.

Last edited:
Recapen - "I'm glad he was able to walk away....."
Correct me if I'm wrong but the report said the pilot didn't walk away - he was trapped in the cockpit. If that is true that concerns me more than the flip. Do all of you with completed RV's carry a canopy braker in case you flip and can't open the canopy?

I've decided to change from an 8A to an 8 last week - this accident just reinforces my decision. I too would be interested to see of the nose gear was post or pre -mod.

Bob
www.rv-8.co.uk
Wings almost complete

Here's KMOV video take on the RV-6A accident. In the commentary, note the Alton Il. owner of the plane quoted as saying the airplane is not designed to land on grass. :eek:

SNIP

I heard on the video that it was the builder who said that - perhaps the builder and the pilot are different people. If so, there might be some positioning going on, understandably.

I am very interested in determining the axle design - anyone reading this with insight into that?

Wish we could collect some real data this time, instead of just talk.
How about an informal VASB (Van's Aircraft Safety Board) with geographically diverse volunteers.

Anyone based closed to this incident?

Are we getting to the point where the a's require a more demanding landing/ground handling technique over the td's?? Seriously, it seems that the operating envelope for the a's is getting narrower than the td's.

Pretty soon it'll be the -a drivers who get to swagger around and claim they're the more accomplished pilots since they can handle an -a without a flip or collapse.:eek:

"Those tail draggers are a piece of cake, now it takes a real pilot to land an -a without a collapse!!!";)

Walking away

Recapen - "I'm glad he was able to walk away....."
Correct me if I'm wrong but the report said the pilot didn't walk away - he was trapped in the cockpit. If that is true that concerns me more than the flip. Do all of you with completed RV's carry a canopy braker in case you flip and can't open the canopy?

From the pictures, it looked like the canopy and rollover structure was at least partially collapsed, leaving no room to get out even if he broke the canopy. I could be mistaken.

I did not have a canopy breaker when my flip occurred. Fortunately, I was able to kick the canopy and make a hole to crawl out of. While I won't be flying an A model again in this life (until I see a redesign of that spaghetti nose gear :) ) I will have a canopy breaker handy in my plane when we get back in the air.

YMMV

Yep

Good grief! Not designed to land on grass? I couldn't tell if the gear folded, looks like maybe it did, but gee whiz not designed to land on grass?
Yea the wheel pants was vertical, 90 degrees from the normal orientation. You can clearly see it in one picture.

I am very interested in determining the axle design - anyone reading this with insight into that?
Every flying session from spring to autumn, the Swallows return to Capistrano and RV's fly, there are always a hand full of flips, mostly with Model A's (sorry but true). There was massive analysis put forth, including Vans analysis written up in the RVator. A subsequent accident investigation and engineering analysis report was written. Bottom line the failure mode was determined but the conclusion was the design was adequate for intended design loads...... end of story. (You don't hear of RV-8's flipping or at least as much? humm)

Are we getting to the point where the a's require a more demanding landing/ground handling technique over the td's?? Seriously, it seems that the operating envelope for the a's is getting narrower than the td's.
When did td's get to be demanding? Conventional Gear RV's (TD's) are the easiest planes and most fun planes I have ever flown. Its a tad more difficult than a Piper Cub granted.

Tail Draggers, as long as I can remember TD's where always thought to be better for soft and rough field Ops, period. It makes sense from the geometry to dynamics. Go to Alaska..... most Bush planes are either on floats, skies or tail wheels. There are Cessna 206's and 208's trikes, but usually they are going off "prepared" strips (rough gravel).

The size of the wheels on RV's are small, so TD RV's are not super bush planes either. Main gear legs are not likely to fold because they are, one stronger and structurally stable. Yes you can bend a main gear but it takes a heck of a lot more load in the wrong direction.

The RV nose wheel is smaller than what some lawn mowers and bike training wheels are. They are going to dig in. Not to mention the +300 lbs of engine and prop cantilever over the nose wheel!

Look at the first consumer Trike plane, the PIPER Tri-Pacer. To test the nose gear they dragged it across a plowed field at right angles to the furrows. Look at one, its build like a bridge and the wheel is large. Over kill? Yes but you never saw a Tri Pacer nose gear fold.

Add the small wheel to a thin tapered forward cantilever gear leg (which is structurally unstable in strict engineering terms). It's possible to fold a nose gear (obviously). It's also possible to break the wing off if you pull back hard on the stick going too fast. Every thing has limits. Van made a light low drag design that works, with limits. If your nose gear "jams" and you have enough fwd momentum, you'll go over. It's time to not be in denial but just be careful.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that you can flip a tail wheel if you break to much.:eek: Kent
The obligatory TD can flip comment . :rolleyes: Just kidding but really.......I never heard of a tail wheel folding? :D

Also "Brakes" are under the control of the pilot. Retractable RV nose gear's are apparently not under the control of the pilot.

I use to think it was mostly the pilots fault. In a way it always is. The PIC accepts full responsibility for the final outcome of a flight, regardless of who or what is to blame. There are steps to minimize the chance of nose gear fold/flip for sure, pilot technique, maintence and may be stay off of soft fields (with long grass, mole and ant hills, ruts...). Stuff happens. "Fate is the hunter."

Last edited:
The obligatory TD can flip comment . :rolleyes: Just kidding but really.......I never heard of a tail wheel folding? :D

It has happened, George. Ken Brock was killed when his Thorpe tail wheel failed and the airplane flipped after loosing directional control.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20011030X02171&key=1

While not a tail wheel failure circumstance, we were visiting in Alaska 2 weeks ago when this Super Cub accident occurred about 3 miles from the home we stayed at -
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080703X00978&key=1

Flight - any type - has an inherent risk factor attached, it can not be avoided. I believe there is entirely too much emphasis on equipment failure in these threads and not enough on pilot proficiency. The bloody truth is 75% of all accidents and 83% of fatal accidents are pilot induced. (Nail report 2005) That same report states 2005 GA accidents were up 23% over 2004. The FAA reported 3 fatal RV crashes on July 9 for this month alone....it isn't a pretty picture.

It's one thing to build a pretty airplane, quite another to fly it safely.

Man this is terrible...I got my first RV ride in this plane and my RV3 fuse shared its hangar. Fortunately neither Dave the owner or Rick the bulder (not sure who was flying as they both fly it all the time) was not injured.

Last edited:
Thanks David

Flight - any type - has an inherent risk factor attached, it can not be avoided. I believe there is entirely too much emphasis on equipment failure in these threads and not enough on pilot proficiency. The bloody truth is 75% of all accidents and 83% of fatal accidents are pilot induced. (Nail report 2005) That same report states 2005 GA accidents were up 23% over 2004. The FAA reported 3 fatal RV crashes on July 9 for this month alone....it isn't a pretty picture.

David,
I guess that it is human nature, in pilots at least, to want to find technical/mechanical reasons for every incident. As the Nall Report points out, the majority comes right back to the pilot. In the words of my favorite possum, "We have met the enemy and he is us." I have watched way too many GA pilots land long, hot, and flat only to stand on the brakes. Some time spent with a sharp instructor would be a big help. And I don't mean every two years.

Like you, I spent a career playing "you bet your job" every 6 months. Nothing like a little focus and perspiration to keep one sharp.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

All I can input into this is the fact that any landing can be aborted, unless the engine is out of course. This guy did mention that he felt he was too fast, should have just pushed the throttle in and went around. I do many landings at our Sod strip and I tell ya, no two landings are the same, always a surprise with a hole or bump on the Sod. I remember the other day, I was wanting a real nice landing on the Sod because there was a Cessna waiting to take off(show off thing) I touched down a little more on a decent than I wanted, the mains touched, I didn't like the feel, so I powered up just a little and did a perfect slow flight about 3 ft off the runway, held it there for about 500ft and then pushed stick forward, hit the throttle and did a go around. I tried hard not to look stupid with a bounced landing, instead gave a show with a slow flight and did a go around. Came back and tried again and nailed the landing perfect. Get rid of the pride and try again, not worth a bent airplane.

David,
I guess that it is human nature, in pilots at least, to want to find technical/mechanical reasons for every incident. xxsnipxx
I don't view it that way at all.
It is not so much 'to want to find technical/mechanical reasons for every incident' as it is an effort to identify narrow safety margins in your specific aircraft and remedies that may be applied to improve them. That along with continual efforts to improve pilot skills, following of proper safety procedures (go-arounds), proper maintentance, understanding personal limitations, understanding the predicted weather, etc all are elements of safe flight.

In almost every incidence where a common problem thread in the aircraft (certified as well as experimental) is identified, a service bulletin or more is issued. An effort to understand the flips goes beyond that in trying to ID common elements. For example, if the nose gear bearing design was ID'd, I'd seriously look at changing; but still try my best to be a safe pilot & do go-arounds whenever I feel they are needed.

This effort is no different than the other thread "What I Learn from Misfortune".

My humble opinion at least.

Last edited:
Man this is terrible...I got my first RV ride in this plane and my RV3 fuse shared its hangar. Fortunately neither Dave the owner or Rick the bulder (not sure who was flying as they both fly it all the time) was not injured.

I'm with you, grateful that he wasn't hurt... both are great guys.

From the pictures, it looked like the canopy and rollover structure was at least partially collapsed, leaving no room to get out even if he broke the canopy. I could be mistaken.

I did not have a canopy breaker when my flip occurred. Fortunately, I was able to kick the canopy and make a hole to crawl out of. While I won't be flying an A model again in this life (until I see a redesign of that spaghetti nose gear :) ) I will have a canopy breaker handy in my plane when we get back in the air.

YMMV

Was yours a slider or tip up? Thanks,

True but what is the point?

But Dave what does this prove or what is your point? STUFF HAPPENS? Yes tail wheels can fall off, so? Ken Brock's case was filed under "Freak accidents". Show me (30) tail wheels falling off, than I'd say yea. Also why besides the fatigue fracture of the tail wheel, the pilot lost control and did not effectively use the brakes for directional control. So again PIC error as always. A failure of non-normal condition does not alleviate the PIC from the responsibility of the ultimate outcome. Same with RV trikes, the PIC makes the decision to operate off of shorter or soft fields assumes more risk.

This is irrelevant to RV Trikes flipping. Yes TD's have accidents but does that make RV Model-A driver's feel better? I know its not satisfying to think that there might be something you can't control or might bite you.

Not sure about your unreferenced statistics, but I agree PIC error is always a big factor overall in aviation. However your statistics are generic and not RV Trike specific I assume.

In one case a nose gear on a RV-6/7/9 folded at low speed, on grass. The plane did not flip over just went into spinner in dirt mode. If you believe the pilot it happened slow. What did he do wrong? Well he was on grass. Also he had a heavy Firewall Forward installation (Eggenfellner). If you have a 320/wood prop I think it helps.

There have been a few Model-A asphalt / hard surface incidence where there was not a flip but damage to the nose wheel and gear fairing.

Who can forget the video of the UK RV-7A taxing (fast) on a flat firm dirt field and flipping. A tail dragger whould NOT do that. I am sorry, the TD and Trike have different modes of flipping.

The TD flips do tend to be pilot induced. RV A-model flips are not 100% PIC error in my opinion, unless you include the decision to fly off of soft fields in the first place as the main cause.

I am not going to get into Trikes or TD are better, but in my opinion for soft field the RV TD is better on dirt. I can draw you a diagram and prove it.

There are always structural limits. I think the limit of the RV Model-A is extream caution on dirt. Make sure you have large tire to wheel fairing gaps, proper tire pressure and more aft than fwd CG with stick in the lap. TAXI slow and hold the nose wheel off AS SOON or LONG AS POSSIBLE.

Any way bummer for the owner. My simpathy goes out to him. As long as no one got hurt bad.

Cheers George

It has happened, George. Ken Brock was killed when his Thorpe tail wheel failed and the airplane flipped after loosing directional control.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20011030X02171&key=1

While not a tail wheel failure circumstance, we were visiting in Alaska 2 weeks ago when this Super Cub accident occurred about 3 miles from the home we stayed at -
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080703X00978&key=1

Last edited:
Oops - I thought that I read that he did walk away after being extracted.

My bad - but I do have a bubble-buster.....

How to exit a flipped RV??

"By the time rescuers arrived, the pilot had already gotten himself out of his harness, but he was unable to get out of the plane."

And if you look at the photo, you can see why. Canopy was surely broken, but no room to exit that way. A canopy hammer wouldn't help a bit.

So. If you're in that situation, just how do you exit? Can something be done with the bottom of the fuse to make it easier to kick out? Because at the moment I'm thinking of being in that airplane with fuel dripping here and there, stuck, waiting for either someone to get me out or a fire to start. Which happens first?

Mine was (is) a slider. I've seen more than one photo of a flipped over tipup that looks like a trap.
This idea often gets brought up in these discussions, that the slider will be easier to get out of in an upside down condition. However, a little analysis will reveal that not to be the case.

I invite anyone with a slider to do a little experiment. Take a string and stretch it from the top tip of the VS to the top of the cowl (simulating the ground) and see how the canopy touches. Factor in that the slider needs to lift up just a bit before it slides aft, and you see the problem.

There are many pros and cons of the tip-up vs. slider and it is one of the never ending debate topics. However, to consider ease of extraction to be a point in favor of the slider is misleading, IMHO.

This idea often gets brought up in these discussions, that the slider will be easier to get out of in an upside down condition. However, a little analysis will reveal that not to be the case.

I invite anyone with a slider to do a little experiment. Take a string and stretch it from the top tip of the VS to the top of the cowl (simulating the ground) and see how the canopy touches. Factor in that the slider needs to lift up just a bit before it slides aft, and you see the problem.

There are many pros and cons of the tip-up vs. slider and it is one of the never ending debate topics. However, to consider ease of extraction to be a point in favor of the slider is misleading, IMHO.

I'm not going to say that the following action will be taken just before an un-planned flip over.....

But it's quite common to throw the slider open on a hot day, while still on the landing roll. So, if it's a hot day (which sliders are so excellent for!), the canopy just might already be open. Of course, if you are gasping for breathable breeze with just 4" popped open for the tip up, the tip up would just slam closed again. :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A slider

Hmm

I'm sorry. Do you mean to say, you think I OPENED my canopy to get out of the aircraft? :)

What I meant was, I've seen more than one photo of a flipped tipup where the rollover structure was collapsed or partially collapsed.

I don't need to do an "experiment". I lived through a flip over. The roll bar, although bent, did do it's job and keep the ground from killing me. It also gave me enough clearance to exit the aircraft after breaking the canopy with my feet.

I don't intend to "mislead" anyone. Had my roll bar failed, I could have been stuck in the plane for much longer.

YMMV

Your analysis with the string and a ruler may be correct in terms of pure measurements. But in the real world with the airplane upside down and the canopy closed, the glass is severely cracked and it is no big deal to kick a hole large enough to crawl out. The slider role over bar may deform slightly but unlike the tip up structure of the Jersey County -6A, it will hold the fuselage up off the turf providing sufficient space to crawl out. It is not a pleasant experience but it is much better than being trapped. Just don't undo the seat belt too quickly cause it is a fair drop on your head if you're not ready for it. That will wake up anyone and get the adrenaline going. It took about 30 seconds to be out of there. :)

After seeing the image of the -6A inverted, maybe tip up guys should carry a small fox hole shovel....

I'm sorry. Do you mean to say, you think I OPENED my canopy to get out of the aircraft? :)
Joe,

That's not how I read your post, but I wasn't aware that you were talking about the relative strength of the different roll bars. That is a legitimate issue to talk about, but it was not the one I was trying to address.

This issue comes up from time to time, usually after a flip over accident (and I did forget that you have some experience in this area, so my apologies, and congrats for rebuilding.) Some people seem to be under the impression that a slider can be opened in the normal fashion when the plane is on it's back, and my post was meant to address that.

The height of the roll bar on a slider gives you a few more inches of wiggle room if inverted but you'll be lucky to be able to slid the canopy open in most cases. Carry something to help you exit at all times.

I look at the video again and...

Notice that the tail failed. It was tip over mostly to one side as well as the roll bar. It looks like the canopy was either depressed into the ground (soft round) or had collapsed into the cabin.

With the tail collapsing I don't think the slider/tipup would matter, with regards to being able to get out.
Your only change would be to brake out the back window and maybe you could push the back of the plane up enough to get out. I think that it would be very difficult.

Maybe the shovel would be a good idea.

Kent

I talked to Rick the builder of this plane about the accident on the phone yesterday. He hasn?t had a chance to get on here to explain the incident himself so he asked I clear some things up. First, he never said the airplane wasn?t designed to land on grass. He told the reporter that this would not have happened on a hard runway. The reporter inferred from this statement that the plane was not designed to land on grass. Yet another example of how the media is worthless. He also told me the runway was pretty soft around where the plane flipped. The nose wheel basically just sunk into the runway until it could no longer turn. At this point the nose gear turned into a pole vault and the plane flipped. Unfortunately this resulted in a bent prop, firewall, smashed tail, bent wing, and cracked cowl among other things. The plane was deemed totaled by the insurance company. So the moral of the story is watch out for soft runways and don?t talk to the media in the event of an accident because the will do their best to distort and sensationalize your words.

Sharks in the Water or Ambulance Chaser you decide

And to what end would be accomplished by make those kind of comments to the media, other than giving them yet another opportunity to beat up on the General Aviation and Experimental Aircraft community in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not personally attacking you, but I would question your judgment if you are building an airplane you don't believe is structurally sound. I certainly would not. It's called a homebuilt for a reason. YOU...yes YOU determine if the part is acceptable for an aircraft. If you don't like the arrangement then engineer your own, hire someone to engineer one for you, build a taildragger or build a different airplane. If you don't like these choices, then please buy a factory built airplane. That's what they're there for.

I'm getting sick and tired of people's useless comments on these nose gear failures, especially people who have probably never looked at one, built one and certainly have never flown one. Please, if you don't have something useful to contribute on this subject, please keep it to yourself. For those of us that this really affects (me, for example) you're just contributing noise to the conversation.

While you're at it, why don't you tell them the WHOLE history that might go something like this....

How one person (who is probably the humblest person in aviation you will ever meet!) created a business that has kept many people and some of their families employed for years...
How that one company has managed to affect millions of dollars being spent with peripheral companies like Lycoming, Avery, (look on VAF home page for more!)...
How many NEW companies have started and/or are successful due to the same reason (AFS, DYNON, etc)...
How many people's lives have been positively affected due to the comradery of the thousands of people who have participated in building and flying their own airplane....
How many people have had their first flight, intro to aviation, Young Eagle ride, etc in an RV....

I could go on forever, but I hope you get the point. Any comments about taking something to the media from this crowd will get unmercifully, and rightfully, addressed.

Vic

Guys, look at the number of posts Aflyer has. Don't bother to dignify him with responses.

transisional training

I agree, if you haven't flown an A model, keep quiet. I just got done with the transisional flying in a 6A and all I can say is OH XXXP. If anybody thinks they can just jump into an RV and fly it safely, your DEAD wrong. I want you to know, that the first landing was, well lets say, way behind the airplane, in fact I was struggling to hold onto the rudder. By the time I got to the 4th landing I was figuring things out, in fact, I figured it was like landing my kitfox on a wheel landing once I got down to the runway. But let me tell ya, that speed down to the runway, can change in a moments notice, up or down, so you better be on top of it. If you bring it down to the runway and than level out 5 ft off and have a neutral lift on touch down, there is no reason what so ever of not touching down with the nose 1ft off the runway. By NO MEANS do you pull full stick back, this WILL cause you to baloon off the runway go up about 20ft and than stall and crash back down on the runway. Small amounts of stick to plant the mains and than small amounts of elevator to keep the nose off until you are full stick back than you start thinking of lowering the nose gently until the nose wheel touches. I find the A model to be much more challenging and fun over a tail wheel. Sorry squaters.

To add to Mike's post, the nose wheel fork fitted to this aeroplane has been developed by the builder, Bill Knott, over the last year or two to allow a 5" wheel & tyre to be used http://www.rvuk.co.uk/nose.htm. Bill has put a huge amount of effort into building his aeroplane, gaining his licence, and now developing this nose wheel mod, I wish a speedy recovery and very much hope he is able to get his aircraft flying again. Bill was returning home from a UK RV Fly-in where he had showed his larger nose wheel for the first time to the RV community.

Pete

Sad to see, especially after all the work the builder did to help prevent this very problem. I am not trying to be smart after the event, but I have always considered that a larger nose tire with the standard strut may not be a good idea. The larger diameter tire and bigger yoke will move the axle further away from the yoke pivot point thereby increasing the effective leverage forces on the lower part of the strut when the tire is forced to move upwards after hitting a bump etc. This extra leverage could cause the strut to bend more than it would have with the standard tire/yoke, possibly exceeding the allowable forces on the lower part of the strut and also bringing the big nut too close to the ground. I suspect the strut may have to be beefed up if a larger diameter nose tire and bigger yoke are used. :confused:

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Back