What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door gap techniques

echozulu

Well Known Member
I'm getting pretty close to having the doors fit into the canopy opening at this point, and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be advantageous to cut back more around the door.

Looking at some of the blog posts of other builders, I'm chasing a consistent door gap like this post: https://marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/gapping-the-doors/

Currently, my door gap is not even. In some locations, there's a gap. In other locations, it is exactly like the plan diagram where the bevel of the door meets the bevel of the cabin cover. It looks like the plans just leave off at 45-05 Step 12 and the door is expected to just fit into the fuselage opening with no gap. My thought is to sand the door edges more to form a bigger gap all around now, and later put 1/8" foam tape on the canopy instead of the door, and just fill the gap between foam tape and door edge with epoxy to build the door back up to a consistent gap. This should allow for changes in fit of the door relative to the canopy between now and hardware install (pins, struts etc).

Looking for recommendations of how other builders have done this?

I left mine probably like what you have right now until I got done with the pin and strut install and whatever you're using for a seal. that way the door is in its final position. I then used a 1/8" (or whatever gap you're trying to achieve) piece of scrap metal about the size of a credit card with coarse grit sandpaper wrapped around it. If I couldn't fit it into the existing gap, I used some block sanding to get that area sanded down enough to get the card sized sanding tool in.

Once that gap was established, I followed Mark's blog you listed with 1/8" foam and micro technique.

Back