What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A dual training

Geno Morgan

I'm New Here
I am in the final stages of purchasing an RV-14A in the Atlanta, GA area. The insurance company says I have to have 2 hours of dual instruction in an RV-14. I have contacted Van's and they pointed me to Zach, who is in PA. I have emailed Zach and will fly up there to get the training if necessary, (I haven't heard back from him yet) but would prefer to get the training a little bit closer to home if able. Does anyone know someone who can give me the training here in the southeast? I am hoping to get the training ASAP. Thanks!

Welcome to VAF! I’m sure Mike, the unofficial greeter, will be along shortly. I’d suggest you clarify your post: Are you looking for a cfi who will furnish an airplane? If so the airplane owner needs a waiver (“LODA”) from the FAR prohibition on EAB’s being used for compensation. Getting the waiver is not hard, but getting insurance for any kind of dual can be. OTOH if you are looking to get dual in your new airplane, no waiver is needed - you don’t rent the plane to yourself. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a local cfi with some RV experience (run his name/experience by your insurance agent) to go with you to pick up the new-to-you airplane, fly home, giving instruction on the way.

Will they accept another type of tri-gear RV to meet the dual requirements? I believe there was someone (a while back) over at Mallards Landing that did instruction in a -6. I also heard that Alex DeDominicis is teaching again outside of Dallas, TX in a -7 and a -10. His info is on Vans website.

Thread drift...I don’t think that when they were writing the rules for flight instruction in experimental plans anyone ever imagined there would be 10,000+ RV’s buzzing around. We should have multiple options around ATL given the number of flying examples there are around here. I think we should pick a day and see how many RV’s we can get flying around Atlanta at the same time. That’ll show ‘em!

Timely topic - Following closely

I just received a quote as well and the requirements for (0 hours any RV):

5 hours in make and model or;
checkout by cfi in make and model

Open pilot requirements:

500 hours TT and;
25 hours in ANY make or model tricycle gear RV

Not that I ever would, but the way I read the quote, I would assume if I self insured for 5 hours in my own aircraft (RV-14A) that would then satisfy their requirement for coverage.

, I would assume if I self insured for 5 hours in my own aircraft (RV-14A) that would then satisfy their requirement for coverage.

That is typically correct. I have asked that of the insurance agents a couple of times.

The challenge is that the first couple of hours are substantially greater risk than the next 998 hours; Hence the insurance co's requirement.

Larry

I am in the final stages of purchasing an RV-14A in the Atlanta, GA area. The insurance company says I have to have 2 hours of dual instruction in an RV-14. I have contacted Van's and they pointed me to Zach, who is in PA. I have emailed Zach and will fly up there to get the training if necessary, (I haven't heard back from him yet) but would prefer to get the training a little bit closer to home if able. Does anyone know someone who can give me the training here in the southeast? I am hoping to get the training ASAP. Thanks!

I spoke with Zach last week and he said Vans had him on COVID hold so I'm not sure when/if he is going to be available.

I'm sorting a similar situation out myself for a -6A.

I spoke with Zach last week and he said Vans had him on COVID hold so I'm not sure when/if he is going to be available.

I'm sorting a similar situation out myself for a -6A.

If you’re willing to travel I’d imagine there are quite a few options to get checked out in a -6A vs a -14.

Back