What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Mount (VA-186) Drawing

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I can seem to find a drawing that shows the mounting of the VA-186 in my RV-7(A) drawing package. Am I missing it or is it somewhere else.

Oil Cooler Install Drgs.

Should be in the firewall forward baffle kit drawing package If you are using the vans supplied oil cooler and are installing it on the rear left baffle. If you are using anything else I think you will be on your own. The Vans specified oil lines are sized for the rear baffle mounting.
KeithT

No this is the firewall mount bracket. I?m planning for the larger cooler for the IOX-370. That?s why I was thinking it might be an RV-14 drawing that I don?t have.

<edit> Sorry, misread your original post and I am no help on the FW mounted cooler.

take a look at the showplanes mount. It mounts off the engine mount on the right hand side, but you'll need to make different lines I think.

I have one for my 7A with a 390 that I'll be installing as soon as I get the new engine mount from Vans. I mocked it up on my original mount and it fits quite well (hope it fits the new mount) and supports a large cooler easily.

OCM-install-3.jpg

Last edited:
Firewall mounted oil cooler.

RV14 drawing 49 shows the firewall mounted oil cooler and attaching hardware.

The link below should get you to the download site at Vans aircraft.com for the drawing.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RV-14_49.pdf

I think the Show Planes oil cooler mount is a better option for the 7. A friend of mine copied the RV14 install on his RV7A and it was pretty cramped and crowded in that area.

<edit> Sorry, misread your original post and I am no help on the FW mounted cooler.

take a look at the showplanes mount. It mounts off the engine mount on the right hand side, but you'll need to make different lines I think.

I have one for my 7A with a 390 that I'll be installing as soon as I get the new engine mount from Vans. I mocked it up on my original mount and it fits quite well (hope it fits the new mount) and supports a large cooler easily.

OCM-install-3.jpg

Don't know how this would work well with the rigid attachment to the engine mount unless that duct work to the baffle can absorb the engine vibration....maybe I am missing something.

The ducting isn't fixed to the baffling, there is just a rubber seal that touches lightly. You can still get the wet dog shake on start/shutdown without issue.

From their description: "This kit comes complete with powder coated mounts, light weight composite cooling air duct to efficiently directs air over the cooler while allowing for engine baffle movement and oil cooler mounting hardware. "

James, Thanks for that reference. The VA-186 seems to be a different hood which mounts directly to firewall and the oil cooler is at a 45 degree angle not horizontal as shown in your reference.

I may need to call Vans. I was hoping to get an answer over the weekend.

James, Thanks for that reference. The VA-186 seems to be a different hood which mounts directly to firewall and the oil cooler is at a 45 degree angle not horizontal as shown in your reference.

I may need to call Vans. I was hoping to get an answer over the weekend.

The VA-186 is not a 7 or 14 part. It is the mount used on the RV-10s.

P0003081.jpg

If you have the 7 and not 7A you're going to have trouble finding a place to mount it on the firewall because of the motor mount structure (different in the 7 to 7A models) or without interfering with other FW items, ie brake lines, control cables and fuel pressure lines to the manifold, etc. etc. I'm not saying it can't be done but in the research I have done it is much more work to get it to fit well if at all.

I finally decided to use the rear baffle location but used the larger SW 8432R cooler. It'll fit with some light flange modification (removal). I live in Phoenix. We'll see next year how it handles the heat.

MeCqQDCBf0hUOx4wBIdglrOQDWaIeAAW0vDC7icqIIOu_Z6XA5u0bdUzdhNt5XAyl7_URSFx1lvgkTvdmsiBRIM9e6NJCU0SkIvbTyzFkbaSVD_Ai1yFCKGONv7PP-a9iPqR8J5HJpiA05BRRZUTLBsuu6X1hGbZvsV3TiHO19vbL4sSf_o9rZJnmrj31T60wUXnPhMn3ICqvPsPP-_ed84XjYwLwqk2niaudCeDN-sjDe1Jpf3WFJr07EwDdzKj_j__qymu67BsPF-7QoIA9MBD4eXGOVOOtlNuu1WmpsRpZ8uCxlDp-mgtbaQmDBCmwfLq0QzQCkLXtPggP1QqvlbhbcSo6_qBgtZzNmeAskImNNA0xuzcpeUZjd8R2RXgaqGDBfu8uWcJtLoJt77_b6hvckRo04XNeDyfy000wdQXcBUTsCu3Edq0dayxlhnK8-mVtcjhFDHis0yA_1iTrAe2Lnw88aTElC_p4zShDZPtLcH0kuX_p0yP3ZPbyX-23o7bJCQvjsrJGeYxYM30Zg8ChLSMdbmpV7Q1XfSeQZetEg7DHhwRikAhcZvJyz_EntXQUSpLj8NfXey3W2aLoYCl8STC83zmMp2Cuh3MEUn4qmCkVeiHA8jKrlEurjbRbwESFnLAJn5suqNCac8Qg3BqlLRHNnJHaNLTSU24Upu5gI2jfssdxA=w528-h938-no

Last edited:
Carlos,

Ok it?s on the RV-10. Cool I?m making progress. Also, I am building an RV-7A so I guess I should be more specific in my signature. Do you know the drawing number? Does anyone have the pdf they could send me?

At this point I?m just investigating how I?m going to mount the 11 row cooler.

Carlos,

Ok it’s on the RV-10. Cool I’m making progress. Also, I am building an RV-7A so I guess I should be more specific in my signature. Do you know the drawing number? Does anyone have the pdf they could send me?

At this point I’m just investigating how I’m going to mount the 11 row cooler.

I don't have those plans so I can't help you there. I would suggest you inquire with the RV-10 section. This being the 7/7A section they may not be looking at your post. A quick Google search found this

FF5.jpg

from Justin's Operation "RV-10" website.

Last edited:
Back