What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JAARS

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Jenny and I decided that a Northern heading would be the way to go today, so we headed off to Waxhaw (N52) N.C. this morning. The airport houses an organization known as JAARS which used to mean Jungle aviation and radio service. (www.jaars.org).

JAARS is the aviation arm of Wycliffe Bible translators and fly mostly older Helio Couriers and Cessna 206's with belly pods in and to the undeveloped parts of the world bringing medicines, goods, Bibles and missionaries to remote outposts around the world in support of Bible translation. Every Friday from 9:30a.m. until noon they give tours of the maintenance hangar and the facilities followed by a good lunch in their cafeteria.

The pilots' skills are honed there and they learn land in 900 feet down to 700' strips in the Helio's.

About 600 plus work there...a really good Friday $100 hamburger.....

Pierre

My local Chapter (961 Rock Hill SC) got a wonderful talk from one of their representitives no long ago. Excellent group of people and aircraft. I was told (by a friend) that the JAARS A&P's build better engines than the manufacturer. Considering the places they have to go, only the best operating equipment will do - and they do the best.

Very, very dedicated to their cause.

Pierre,

Bummer you didn't let us know you were comming, we could have gotten together as you are just on the other side of Charlotte from where I live.

Later.....

N941WR said:
Pierre,

Bummer you didn't let us know you were comming, we could have gotten together as you are just on the other side of Charlotte from where I live.

Hi Bill,
I told our Pastor about them and since he's ex Caribou pilot, intelligence agent, he wants to go and visit, so I'll be up there again.

BTW, they will come and speak at your EAA meetings, Men's breakfasts at Church, etc and kindly ask for donations to cover travel costs. A truly great organization, kind and caring and trying hard to make a difference.

Regards,
Pierre

pierre smith said:
BTW, they will come and speak at your EAA meetings, Men's breakfasts at Church, etc and kindly ask for donations to cover travel costs. A truly great organization, kind and caring and trying hard to make a difference.

Regards,
Pierre
I've spoken to them a few times and even thought about asking them to rebuild my O-290 but since it didn't need an OH, we didn't move beyond the talking phase.

Maybe when I'm flying in a few months I'll drop in for a visit.

Thanks for the info. My little boy is on their mailing list and looks forward every month to their info. We'll definitely be making a trip there.

Tammy

Back