What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollins/Corona Pass

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Heading west in a few weeks. I'd like to visit an old friend in Boulder, so one plan has me Alabama-Boulder first day, and Boulder-Tahoe the next.

Assume departure from Boulder shortly after dawn. Looks like the initial route is past Nederland to Eldora, west up the valley, turning SW over Rollins Pass, then WNW toward Tabernash. Given a calm morning, 12,500 looks like enough for a scenic ride. I can strap on a mask and go to 16,500.

So, local knowledge please. What do you like to use for winds and weather information along that route section? What winds do you consider acceptable for a low or high transit?

I am based at Granby and Loveland-Fort Collins and commute back and forth about three times a week over these mountains time and time again. I would suggest going out of Boulder northwest around the north side of Longs Peak then on west. Gives you more time to climb and a much smoother ride. We have the best airplanes in the world to fly in the mountains of Colorado. Stay at lease 2000 feet above the Rocky Mountain Park

Last edited:
Try to avoid winds of more than 20 kts at 12k.

If taking the north route, stay north of Long's for perhaps 15 miles while east of the mountain (the Estes Park valley is ok) because of strong local turbulence east and SE of the peak itself. While localized, it can be quite strong.

I'd probably go Boulder, make a downwind departure, perhaps one more general circle NE of the field and head west southwest directly towards Corona Pass. It's part of a long straight ridge that's easy to spot and easy to fly.

Dave

Tahoe?? Tell me more.

A wedding...my much younger sister.

Try to avoid winds of more than 20 kts at 12k.

I assume taken from the ordinary winds aloft reports/forecasts. Any surface reporting points on the high rocks, in addition to the AWOS at Berthoud Pass?

Does 20 at 12K indicate higher altitudes will also be unacceptably rough?

We Southerners can't be too careful. I live on what passes locally as a "ridge". It's about 0.35K MSL ;)

I also check winds higher, easy on WingX or Forefilght, but if 12k is more than 20, it'll be rough. If its under but 18k is howling that means a lot of shear turbulence, for me, not fun.

If you have time, I'll take you for a practice flight up there, both Corona Pass and north of Longs, in my Cessna 180.

Dave

Back