What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake pedal extensions?

bret

Well Known Member
After bleeding the brakes I was surprised to discover how little brake application travel there is, < 1/4" ? is this normal? anyway I think I am going to need to get the extensions, how many folks are using these? Do they help? I think I should have set up the rudder-brake peddle a little deeper into the weldmant?

If I were you, I would wait till some Taxi Tests before doing any changes. Lots of things can change the peddle comfort like changing you seat back positions or the seats your going to use.

That sounds about right for peddle travel. Though I am not yet flying, I plan to wait and allow for the peddle adjustment once the gear is on and I can bleed the lines.

My version

Pedal extensions on a budget. Slit double hoses zip tied they surely help. Still there after 5 years of flying :)

I used 2 in OD nylon rod, drilled a 5/8th hole in the center, then used my band saw to cut them in half then clamped the pieces on the pedal with worm clamps.
Work on my six for 900 hrs and now on my 7 for the same #hrs

Brakes

For those of us not quite there yet, coutdoor some please post the ideal position of the brake pedals? Maybe a measurement from the top outside edges of the pedals to the rudder tubes?

My peddles look like the pic above, but if you stroke the rudder peddle assembly forward, the peddle gets contacted, and you are pushing on the brakes. I thought there would be more travel in the brake peddle, there is very little movement.........

Extensions

Hi Guys,

The geometry of how you sit in the seats and the limited adjustments that can be made on the pedal bars create a situation that interaction with the brakes is inevitable. This can cause obvious problems.

The JDAir pedal extensions were developed to reduce the possibility of unwanted brake interactions and possible consequences. We have sold hundreds of these and they do exactly what they are supposed to.

I've gotten calls from customers that have said they can now land and take off with more confidence because they are not worried about hitting the brakes at the wrong time.

The pedal extensions are precision CNC'd and fit perfectly. They take approximately 10 minutes to install, less if you are smaller and get down in the well easier:eek:

Let me know if you have any questions. You won't be disappointed by adding pedal extensions!!

Has anyone re drilled the master cylinder pivot point to change this geometry? I wish I knew about this earlier during the build.

Has anyone re drilled the master cylinder pivot point to change this geometry? I wish I knew about this earlier during the build.

Many, in the thousands, of us out here with no issues with the stock set up. I would suggest you get flying and see how it works for you. I am only on my second set of brake pads. I think I got 500 hours on the first set.
I have never had an inadvertent braking event that I am aware of.

I am not suggesting others don't have issues. They obviously do, but I don't salt my food before I taste it.

Pedal extensions on a budget. Slit double hoses zip tied they surely help. Still there after 5 years of flying :)
I'm like Vlad except with black hose (the largest o.d. I could find from Napa with the right i.d.) and a black zip tie on each end. Has worked great for the last 4 years. Much cheapter too!

You could re-make the brake pedals. I flipped the angles around so that the flat plate representing the pedal sits inside the angles and not on top of them. Mine work really well this way. I have to raise my feet a bit on the pedals to activate the brakes. I also added an extension to the arm connecting to the actuator. That allowed me to adjust the tilt of the brakes pedals to match my configuration.

Larry

Last edited:
I'm like Vlad except with black hose (the largest o.d. I could find from Napa with the right i.d.) and a black zip tie on each end. Has worked great for the last 4 years. Much cheapter too!

I used 1/2" white PVC pipe, cut lengthwise at about 55% (slightly off-center of the diameter) and they snap perfectly onto the bottom of the pedal and stay there. If you need even more spacing, just add the next size up of PVC. This is really a rudder pedal extension. If you want brake pedal extensions, that is a different animal.

Greg

HEY! you are correct sir, thank you for the correct terminology ;-) but I'm sure everyone know what I was referring to. So, they don't rotate on the RUDDER peddle tubing?

Bret, There are two ways you can tilt the brake pedal that is installed and too vertical....

1. You can file the bottom master cyl. bolt hole down to tilt the pedal forward. The bottom of the hole takes all of the applied pressure.

2. You can link the top master cyl. connection up. Looks like a chain link and lifts the top of the cyl arm up a given amount and causes the pedal to tilt forward. The link bolts to the weldment and the cyl bolts to the top of the link.

After that, if you still need more, you could then add the spacer to the rudder bar. Some have used split heater hose.... even two layers held on with hose clamps.. to see what the results would be.

I used 1/2" white PVC pipe, cut lengthwise at about 55% (slightly off-center of the diameter) and they snap perfectly onto the bottom of the pedal and stay there. If you need even more spacing, just add the next size up of PVC. This is really a rudder pedal extension. If you want brake pedal extensions, that is a different animal.

Greg

Greg might you have a photo of this? I like the idea and need an extension.
thanks

Back