What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

330 Pound Passanger

RV10Pilot

Well Known Member
I checked may weight and balance. The gross weight and CG is easily within limits with me and a 330 pound passenger in the front seats. Should I have any other concerns? Will they break the step, dent the wing, crush the seat?

Should I have any other concerns? Will they break the step, dent the wing, crush the seat?
I think the seat will be fine, all other concerns are valid.
If you must take up a 330 lb bubba, provide a step stool with 2 steps to get him up to wing level. Make sure he'll step on the black taped wing walk and no place else.
The step would be my biggest concern, I am sure it can handle a one time load but a crack will start with a heavy load and go from there.
For me it would depend a little on what kind of shape he is in??
Enter at your own risk.

Weight

I flew several times in a 65 HP Luscombe with a guy that was 300#. I only got 1/3 of the seat.

Seat belt /shoulder harness may not fit. Full control stick movement may not be possible.

Last edited:
300lb passenger

I’ve flown my buddy many times in the front and back, he hovers at 310lbs. I’m 210 my wife 125. No problems.

Attachments

• 60C9BAFD-1080-4C3B-A436-BD349432EE37.jpg
    60C9BAFD-1080-4C3B-A436-BD349432EE37.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 192
This thread puts me in mind of an interview I saw Greg Hughes do, explaining the RV-10 and RV-14 as being airplanes that were designed for “modern Americans”.

:)

My pastor was 325 and he had to do some acro to get in the front but his enthusiasm helped.

Vic told me to watch the step weldment and that he place his foot as close to the weld as possible getting in.. So far, so good…and the CG was OK.

Regards,

There comes a time to just say "NO" to a passenger. That time for my RV9 is 250lb (sometimes less), depending on the passenger's physical health. I get very concerned if a person cannot physically ingress or egress the cockpit easily. Secondly, I am not interested in having to repair steps, canopies, or other aircraft parts that may be over stressed by a large person.

There comes a time to just say "NO" to a passenger. That time for my RV9 is 250lb (sometimes less), depending on the passenger's physical health. I get very concerned if a person cannot physically ingress or egress the cockpit easily. Secondly, I am not interested in having to repair steps, canopies, or other aircraft parts that may be over stressed by a large person.

I agree completely. I have friends that would love to fly with me, and I'd love to take them, but I have no qualms (and no apologies) telling them that they are just too large. My passenger weight limit is well below 330 lbs.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. A step stool to avoid step damage and the seat full back is great advice. Saying NO may be the best advice. Thanks again.

I just did it with a longtime friend whose weight varies between 230 and 330 depending on the year. This past year was a 330-pound one for him, with a COVID hospitalization and a failed knee implant with replacement in the same year. He was "down to 318 after a week off carbs" when we started planning the trip. His third right knee replacement was convalescing well this time as he is an old hand at it and very determined in his outlook. He convinced me to chance it. He has flown with me in the 10 and the 6A before as a somewhat younger and lighter man.

I had brought a folding stool along to meet him at his local airport and at our overnight destination there was a 3-step ladder at the fuel pump - both of which helped, as he never had to place a foot on the aircraft step. Ingress and egress took awhile, but his second attempt on the way home was more artful than the first time on the way down. Egress is definitely more difficult than getting in, and involves a phase where he plants one foot and all his weight on the bottom seat cushion. This is the one part I didn't like as the wear and tear on the aircraft is a concern. There was a constant risk of mis-step and fall which could have been catastrophic since he's too big for me to catch in any meaningful way.

Control movement was limited laterally by his thigh girth even with the seat fully back. I could get full roll input if I needed it but it would've bruised him a bit. Crow harness was let out as far as it would go, and the lap belt tucked under his epigastric ventral hernia - if you needed that mental image. The center console was not comfortable for him.

I'm thankful we had a successful adventure toasting my oldest son on his 40th birthday but I am not going to be taking passengers over 280# even though we got away with it this once. YMMV - -this is just offered as a data point.

…..Control movement was limited laterally by his thigh girth even with the seat fully back……

This is the point where I would have scrubbed the flight and gone looking for a 182 to rent. I do admire your commitment to your friend.

I checked may weight and balance. The gross weight and CG is easily within limits with me and a 330 pound passenger in the front seats. Should I have any other concerns? Will they break the step, dent the wing, crush the seat?

Use your common sense. Be smart. Just say NO!

Back