What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Compartment Heat Issues

Tom Wruble

I'm New Here
I'm reading through Tony Bingelis' book on the engine installations and basically he says that any battery subjected to the high heat of the engine compartment will not be long for this world and like the magneto and alternator, he suggests a cooling blast tube for it, but unlike the magneto and alternator he suggests that the blast tube be routed to the battery box. I plan on using the Concord battery on an RV-7A which, if I have a good idea of the engine compartment layout puts it pretty much behind the outflow from the oil cooler, and Van's installation does not call for a battery box - merely a tray. What am I missing here?

I am using the Odyssey PC680 in my 7A. I don't have a cooling blast tube for it and it seems to be doing fine, so far (1 year in service). The Odyssey is much smaller and lighter than the lead acid batteries and it is a dry cell, possibly making it more tolerant of the heat. Van's has a battery box kit for it and it does fit nicely. It cranks my 0-360 just fine.

Roberta

Back