Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2020, 10:59 PM

Default 80 amp Nippondenso alternator...which one fits?

Hi everyone Iíve got a electrically dependent RV-10 with EFII and air conditioning. Because of this Iím in need of a alternator capable of at least 80amps. Does anyone have any first hand experience on which Nippondenso or Denso automotive alternator will fit the standard boss mount bracket without too much modifications?

Thanks
Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM

You sure you need that much capacity? I have an RV10 with a 45 amp alternator and have been unable to draw more than it can provide. It is a full IFR ship with Pitot heat. There are an awefull lot of RV10's flying with well less than 80 amps.

When considering electric A/C, I found a 100 amp in the S10 configuration (aftermarket), so they are out there. However, I have never seen a small case ND alt greater than 60 amps.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 08-12-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
You sure you need that much capacity? I have an RV10 with a 45 amp alternator and have been unable to draw more than it can provide. It is a full IFR ship with Pitot heat. There are an awefull lot of RV10's flying with well less than 80 amps.

When considering electric A/C, I found a 100 amp in the S10 configuration (aftermarket), so they are out there. However, I have never seen a small case ND alt greater than 60 amps.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Iím not convinced I need the 80amp alternator either, but it would definitely give a good buffer. In my RV6A I have the ND 1987 samarai alternator and itís been flawless. I think Iíll give the 60amp alternator a try and see how it works out. I donít believe Iíll be pushing more then 60amps either.

Thanks
Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 08-12-2020, 02:36 PM

Just keep in mind the AC blower draws 15A at max speed, and you'll be pulling that while the engine is at idle speed where the alternator makes substantially less than full output.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
Just keep in mind the AC blower draws 15A at max speed, and you'll be pulling that while the engine is at idle speed where the alternator makes substantially less than full output.
Hi Hgerhardt thanks for the response... I understand the amp output of the alternator is going to be lower at the lower rpms. A 3Ē pulley will help some, of course with the probability of a lower life span on the alternator because of the higher rpms it would be subject to during higher power settings. Still would like the option for a higher output alternator that would fit without much modification. Iím fine with Cowling fiberglass work as well if needed for the alternator to fit.

Thanks
Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 08-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Pre-2000 FWD Honda 4-cylinders run "backwards" (CCW) compared to most other cars, which means the internal cooling fans are proper for Lycomings. Yeah, there are naysayers on this forum that claim it doesn't matter. But, why not use a built-in advantage if there's one available?

A 2000 Acura Integra (fancy Civic) has a 90A Denso as standard and has a mounting scheme similar to other common Denso-based alternators we use on RV's. Use an impact gun to remove the pulley nut to substitute a V-belt pulley. Google to find one.

There's another recent thread here about how PP voltage regulators are modified to make them runaway-proof. That regulator should fit this alternator too.

As for a bracket, you could use a PP or B&C which might work or have one CNC'd from aluminum with an extra tab to pick up more holes on the engine to get better belt alignment and more stability, especially with a heavier alt as this one. I designed the one below in a few minutes. Use EAA's 'free' Solidworks to design one and then have a CNC vendor make one. I have one exactly like this on my -6 since 2007.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alt Bracket.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1237  

Last edited by hgerhardt : 08-13-2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added a pic by the new process
Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Thanks Hgerhardt Iíll look into this; youíre solidworks picture didnít come through. Could you email me a picture? 🙂. Flyhigh77777@gmail.com

Thanks
Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 08-13-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Thanks Hgerhardt I’ll look into this; you’re solidworks picture didn’t come through. Could you email me a picture? ��. Flyhigh77777@gmail.com

Thanks
Bill
Added the pic above via Doug's new system instead of google pics.
Also, that design is a quick-and-dirty thing I threw together to show concept. I don't have a Lycoming in my office to take measurements from!

Last edited by hgerhardt : 08-13-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
Added the pic above via Doug's new system instead of google pics.
Also, that design is a quick-and-dirty thing I threw together to show concept. I don't have a Lycoming in my office to take measurements from!
Thanks Hgerhardt for your help!

Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 PM

70 amp Plane Power will cover you just fine. I have the same setup.
N1017H RV-10 Flying 2019
EAA #: 1106970
2021 VAF Dues Paid!