What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

California Paint Shops

intothinair

Well Known Member
I am attempting to get my RV-9A painted in Northern California this winter. An aircraft paint shop in Red Bluff quoted me 10K for a single stage white paint job. The aircraft is bare metal with the fiberglass parts primed with Featherfill.

Could anyone provide a recommendation for a paint shop within the state? Thank you.

You can't go wrong with T&P Aerofinishers in Salinas.
http://www.tpaerorefinishers.com/

Juan is a perfectionist. At our local airport (KLVK) I would say that at least ten RVs have been painted by Juan and I don't think I've ever heard a complaint. I know the job he did on my plane is outstanding.

Bob Cowan
RV7A (430 hours), IO-360 M1B, Hartzel Blended Airfoil Prop, AFS 5400

I'll second Juan at T&P in Salinas. He did my 6A, and I am very happy with the result.

The only down side is he may be booked out for several months, so you have to get on his waiting list. The result is worth the wait.

Kracon is a fantastic shop in Lincoln. David Szkotak is the owner and a very nice guy. I would highly recommend the shop. FWIW :)
916-645-1614

ArtCraft in Santa Maria. http://artcraftpaint.com/gallery/

Our 10 is center column, fourth row.

They worked from my wife's sketches and came up with exactly what she wanted.

Very happy with their work.

And, if you want something really custom or wild, they work with John Stahr.

I'll second ArtCraft in Santa Maria. Painted my RV-4 in August. Also bare metal and fiberglass. They did a beautiful job. I went there because they also paint the rental fleet at the Flight School I use. Fleet gets heavy use and they are all tied down outside, yet all have held up exceptionally well.

IMG_0648.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyone have a pirep for Corona Air Paint at KAJO?

I recently picked up an airplane from there that had a somewhat complex scheme. They did a nice job. It was a total strip and paint on a certified bird so they worked with a local Mx shop to deal with control surfaces and everything came out nice.

Over the hill

I had mine painted over the hill at Mathews Aviation in Yerington, NV (O43). Good work and a fair price.

RLzwSWN5IReZwW2Sxq_G3VoirjC990Z9cMRahym8PQIkUbyYlTQxgY2T_94bjceTDougPvuxiIlSYss3uRzGGvSnb5OvBorGXKCt0rgmqTpB0B7JhrcdjxBfqMZtCgX7tLjX04nShsHJGKnMfcjh-_a1neqYkUfiBaV3JPUrZ2SCYCEATuBYfy--6xdxpHwr-ehAzq3dG2JyLtjIpK44BoHUM51ia4OMSqlL_oRPv0RqF3ioaeDUUE2ZgI930XFscrCiVkLhCFPcQEQbx74gB5yIptdjooHkpMHFfTk9G2X6TMceckxH-fqjtzAaWkE6gHNheM9xb5OrEmVC8OM-7rKV2EMEfrspYm1xV7hwFHCvAW6SpK1N3X6buqn_sES_Uk1BpOlUaBUVs56XljIUeiBha4WHxKzpKxpypQbfH9Z_4hFOvhuxQG4KiFl9KHTr6BoR97F2xjbAs0KCcYBlntECzrhAk6K7Tdab_rfzeQnCrZ8xVSBHBro9kixWQZ1_WFeoHMCrW4X3HJrmrJZeERk6GtbcxWMZnLgJtNC_-eKQ2QYD2DMp4afauLwGoZHVq08XmzBUvQ5XdB2S1e1NW-2I5dFvYvGkDaJijnFqneAN8rZEBkpX=w800

rGtnrUQSPeGJQkXWn6kzAePG3fYj_A1DE_Ntl-KrBWvKlbWKgFCu97IQBQFS34iq3ZhknyYTl76pxqpi-VKV9sJbko6vavD8lkQqcEFxCGDUqVMa6oGsno797p15dboCWy_6MQj4BBuS2UyNExrDX-z0AnGar0gKay6w2N5rN0pG7OU7F034MlABNbR5NK9fQUeUNOVp9MEOcpE5L12wpmZ15LaElFyIZmIYTqJ7Ok9jGXeFQqq1dqDRMYqHFSGmMiOYKgJkp5_Zqfd7_SjTHT7kl311KdsFTrUNhe-IPIYv83pOGW4lGg9Ll4XRvDM9oKLjWD0jha_9gqj-LU2UBzf-XRm4oTgy-jJ8pwuBQxFVuhioymoxjKeKl1Yjk7Y-qR1u9gba-ZX4lgTG51wowV1GLVj_XL9I40GyXfUEmq9tR2-4jSXgQuvx1Ej45zqcI1rPwbpZMYIXB_gDWyr-aiEmcoGqvPIwwu2V4E127_-9zn3TJWUUhdhqLxBDRyzutZU04-BvuFe6fF9jqwVQolT8e1U22-lChhmc9xwc9Un07dKcd1H2U1WCc2xdtOPb60A0wjb4UfGZsgOkWM-9sNBCqAOJYLL66dFx8l0cQ2thfVpIviTm=w800-no

I'm also looking as far away as N. California or N. Nevada for a basic one-color paint job over bare aluminum. Does anyone have any idea if $5000-8000 is even a reasonable possibility anymore? :confused:

If you can find a few other planes that are ready or nearly ready for paint you should be able to negotiate a good discount. I recall getting a discount of $800-1000/plane at Art Craft in Santa Maria for the group of five planes we had.

erich

Corona paint

Have seen some nice paint work come out of the shop and the owner owns the cafe on the field that also draws a flyin crowd. They have pro-craft A/Ps put all the parts back together or you can save a buck by reinstalling surfaces yourself. I'm sure you can find a empty hanger or possible borrow mine to reassemble.

JohnInReno, N743RV, MikeS , ScSmith, Bruce:

Thank you for the CA paint shop recommendations. I will contact them and hopefully get some additional quotes.

John

Back