What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-Stop Aviation out of business?

DwightFrye

Like a number of people I purchased a "Hidden Hinge" from Non-Stop Aviation some time ago. It has worked well, and I was quite pleased .. right up until the spring broke. :) I've tried hunting for a spring myself, and am not quite finding what I want/need. I thought I'd contact the vendor and just get them to send me a spring (or two, or three) but their website at nonstopaviation.com seems to have vanished.

First, does anyone know if they are still in business? If not, does anyone know of a source for a replacement spring. I got some from McMaster Carr, but they were too light to lift the door. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Checking the Wayback Machine found this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140106155234/http://nonstopaviation.com/

which says:
"As of January 1st 2014 all parts will be sold either through Avery Tool or Cleveland Aircraft Tool. Thank You."

I think the springs are custom made for the door hinge, because I couldn't find anything commercially available either when I looked for a replacement. Made an unsuccessful attempt at winding one made from music wire. I ended up ordering a replacement through them sometime last year, before the website vanished.

Try taking the existing spring to Ace (or other stores) and match it up with one they have. I use Ace because a lot of times they have a better selection and their stuff is separated out so I can buy just one (or two or three) of something. They don't always have what I need but it seems to be a good starting point. At least you can get the info on a similar spring and then research the part number for something that suits you.

Like a number of people I purchased a "Hidden Hinge" from Non-Stop Aviation some time ago. It has worked well, and I was quite pleased .. right up until the spring broke. :) I've tried hunting for a spring myself, and am not quite finding what I want/need. I thought I'd contact the vendor and just get them to send me a spring (or two, or three) but their website at nonstopaviation.com seems to have vanished.

First, does anyone know if they are still in business? If not, does anyone know of a source for a replacement spring. I got some from McMaster Carr, but they were too light to lift the door. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I never could figure out how to properly install that spring. Spent a lot of time scratching me head...(hate to admit that) So my door doesn't stay open unless I hold it there.

Got 'em!

The pointer to Avery Tools was golden. I called, and they do still sell the hinge. They also make the spring available as a separate item. I ordered two.

I just got a confirmation email from Avery for my order. The two springs ended up costing $8.50 including postage. Awesome.

Nonstop Aviation

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the business (Nonstop Aviation) whose owner is deceased. I'm not sure if anyone continued his RV hardware business,

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the business (Nonstop Aviation) whose owner is deceased. I'm not sure if anyone continued his RV hardware business,

One of the two partners is deceased. The other continued selling the non-fiberglass parts, like the oil door.

Back