What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torquing the AN3 Aileron Bracket Bolts help

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
Torqueing the AN3 aileron bracket bolts help

Researching torque wrenches and I have come across an issue. I'm looking in the in-lb range of 20 min. to say 150 in-lb. The problem is the torque wrenches that have the lower range are typically 1/4 in drive, which is ok, but will I need a set of crowfeet (crowfoots?) to torque the bracket bolts/nuts?

Just the initial install I could not get a socket on the bolt or nut. Therefore I'm thinking a open end wrench on the bolts and a crowfoot/torque wrench on the nut. A quick search of tool suppliers shows the 1/4 drive crowfeet are scarce and expensive. Where 3/8 drive are common and less expensive.

Interested in what others have done and other options.

Last edited:
Adapter

I have a 1/4f to 3/8m socket adapter. Mine is a Snap On but I'm sure Sears or one of the big box stores would have one for you.

Last edited:
I just used a set of regular wrenches with my highly calibrated fingers. Get it tight, but not overly tightened.

Seriously, the torque is the distance between the center of the bolt head to the point where you are pulling on it (for example, 5") times the force (for example, 4 lbs). In this case 20 in lbs. Pull perpendicular to the wrench.

Back