What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LASAR ignition - no spark

Stevea

Well Known Member
First engine start LASAR ignition problem - No spark

I have made several unsuccessful attempts at a first engine start. So far no success at turning avgas into airplane noise.

Here is what I have:
Lycoming O-360-A1A with factory installed Unison (now Champion Aerospace) LASAR ignition system. This system is NOT equipped with the "bush kit" (impulse coupling).

Here is what has been tested, inspected, etc.:

1. Verified NO spark from a plug lead while cranking.

2. The "Backup Ignition Mode" panel warning light does not go out after cranking for 3 blades, indicating the control box is not coming on line.

3. The wiring installation, including the keyed start/mag switch and the LASAR low voltage harness, is correct and tests OK.
    1. No opens.
    2. No shorts.
    3. The box has 12V.
    4. The keyed switch is wired correctly, and tests OK.
    5. There are no pushed or damaged contacts in the LASAR low voltage harness.

4. The mags are grounded at the engine, per LASAR installation instructions SL1-96.

5. The mag timing is correct when checked using the LASAR T-300 timing box.

6. After discussions with Joe L. at Champion Aerospace, the control box was returned to them for testing. It tested OK.

7. The LASAR control box is sensitive to low bus voltage while cranking. Bus voltage too low = control box will not run = no spark. Tried the following as a work around for possible low bus voltage:
    • Pull the LASAR breaker, crank the engine for about a second, then close the breaker to get past the initial voltage drop caused by the starter inrush current. No start.
    • Temporarily wired the control box to its own fully charged 12v battery, separate from the starting battery. No start.

Anyone else run into this type of failure, or have any idea on what to test next?

Any LASAR users out there that have dealt with "no spark" problems? Looking for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lasar no Spark

I have the Lasar system with only 27 hours on it to date. I have had no issues thank goodness but I have spoke to Gary Sobek as he was a designer for them when they were in business.Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, the Lasar system needs the ignition switch to be re-configured.

Quote from the manual, (which I can Email to you if needed.)

NOTE The ignition switch controlling magneto selection must be configured so that
both magnetos are “ON” when the switch is in the ”BOTH” or ”START”
position. The LASAR® controller will not function if either magneto is
grounded during start.

What starter do you have? Have you tried pulling the breaker on the LASAR system and then pushing it in after it starts cranking?

Steve,
Check-in with me as I now have nearly 3,800 hours flying with LASAR :) Rosie

Rosie, thanks for the response. I think we're playing e-mail and phone tag at the moment. Hope to connect with you in the next few days.

As I recall, the Lasar system needs the ignition switch to be re-configured.

Mike,
Yep, I know about the ACS switch configuration. The jumper normally used to ground a non impulse mag has been removed per the LASAR install instructions. I've also verified neither mag is being grounded while the key is in the start or run position, again per the install instructions.

What starter do you have? Have you tried pulling the breaker on the LASAR system and then pushing it in after it starts cranking?

SkyTek starter with an Odyessy P680 battery. The battery is new and was fully charged at the time.

I am aware the voltage drop while cranking can cause the LASAR controller to revert to backup mode, meaning no start. I did try bypassing the voltage drop by first pulling the LASAR breaker, crank for 1 second, close the breaker.......no start. Also tried powering the LASAR controller with a separate 12v battery (not in the engine starter circuit)......still no start.

In other news, I received e-mail from Gary Sobek with a link to the service docs for the LASAR system. Very helpful info. I think I've been through most of the "no start" troubleshooting section, but I will compare it to my notes. Thanks again.

the troubleshooting continues...........

I had a LASAR "no spark" condition on a 6A I used to own and it turned out to be a bad ground.

I have the Lasar system with only 27 hours on it to date. I have had no issues thank goodness but I have spoke to Gary Sobek as he was a designer for them when they were in business.Good luck

Just to keep the record straight, I was NEVER part of the LASAR design team or had any involvement in the design of the system.

I am nothing but an Electrical Engineer that has an interest in the LASAR system and have dug into the manufacturers published documentation on what it takes to get it working. Joe Logie of UNISON / now Champion is the factory guy that knows more than any single individual that I have met. Although the manufacture does not recommend taking the special mags apart, I am a Homebuilder that likes to take things apart that I use to understand how they work and what it takes to service them.

Update: Steve sent me both his LASAR mags that I put on my plane and they worked perfectly. Next, he sent me his controller...no joy...I put on the spare controller I have on the shelf...worked GREAT...put his controller back on...no joy...put my plane back together...works great.

I'm sending him my spare controller so he can get up & running and then he can determine a path forward (as we say at work), Rosie :D

LASAR control box is dead

A huge thanks to Rosie for helping me sort this out. :D

At least I now know I have working mags, and a dead control box. Unfortunately, the control box is no longer supported by anyone and can not be repaired. So, I'm off to figure out the next best solution. Depending on what I decide, there may be some very low time LASAR mags available.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

If anyone is looking to sell a system, I'd be interested in controller P/N LC-1001-04 which fits an O/IO-360, 25 degree base timing, 12 Volt, no CHT probe.

Last edited:
Lasar Controller

Hello,
My left Lasar mag went south, I replaced both with a P-mag system. I have the Lasar controller and right mag available. (the left is available too at a greatly reduced price). I did temporarily have a pair of Slick mags installed and it was interesting to see the difference between the Lasar, Slicks and now the P-mags.

Brian Scollon

I did temporarily have a pair of Slick mags installed and it was interesting to see the difference between the Lasar, Slicks and now the P-mags.

And you have the nerve to put up a post like that ----------without any details:confused:

Come on man, cough up:D

Finally.....engine start

Amazing what happens when a working controller is installed. We have engine noise. :)

Back