What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Knowing how to ask the right question

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I buffooned up the W-816 aileron push tube when drilling it for the tapered, threaded end piece. I called Van's Part's and asked for a replacement for it, only to discover that it comes originally in a single 12' piece, and shipping that 12' piece would be $200-$300! I looked around the interweb and couldn't find 6061-T6 tubing with the same wall thickness of .035. All I could find was .049. That seemed reasonable, but I called the mothership just to make sure. If you make one thing stronger, that only means something else is now the weakest link in the chain. The Tech guy said the .049 thickness would probably work, but why not just buy the six foot length tube?

It's not listed in the "Store" but Van's does indeed sell 6061-T6 tubing in various lengths. The 6' length is $30. Boom!

So, don't buffoon up things, but if you do, ask Van's the more general question, like, "how do I fix this?" rather than zeroing in on a part number.

Back to your regularly scheduled cup of coffee.

Off-topic but my wife and went through Old Saybrook a few years ago and thought it was wonderful. By any chance have you been to 10 Mohegan Ave?

Back