What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport Review for Pineville LA

N184DA

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am planning a cross-country relocation from WA to FL with my RV4.
One of my planned overnight locations is Pineville LA.
Looking for reviews/reports for either KAEX or 2L0.
My gut is telling me 2L0,, but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

KIER

No knowledge of your 2. But I did spend the nite at This airport, pronounced Nak-a-tish, 33miles NW of KAEX a few years ago. FF comments indicate still good. Cheap gas, no fees and great service.

I am planning a cross-country relocation from WA to FL with my RV4.
One of my planned overnight locations is Pineville LA.
Looking for reviews/reports for either KAEX or 2L0.
My gut is telling me 2L0,, but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

2L0 is your typical quiet GA airport. One runway and one FBO. The FBO is a good one. The mechanic shop at 2L0 is top notch. The people there will treat you right. I cant recall if they have a courtesy car. Want to say no, but I could be wrong.

AEX is good as well. Its alot bigger with car rentals, FBO, etc. Its been a while since I landed at AEX, but if I was passing through on an overnight x/c, I would land at AEX. They really dont have any traffic for being the size airport they are. You could be one of 2-3 planes at the FBO. Always had good service here as well.

IER (referenced in the post above) is good too. Its size is in between AEX and 2L0. Again, if I was on an overnight x/c, I would stop definitely at AEX. Even if fuel is more expensive, they will have more services which are important to me on a x/c flight.

Edit: Just checked Airnav and fuel is a few cents cheaper at AEX.

Last edited:
I would probably lean to KIER

but your call as to which type of stop you prefer

If you have time to do more than sleep,….
I think KIER might be more interesting,…..visit the old general store,…interesting food spots,… nice walkable downtown along the “river”

Might want to call each and see what they can do for you

I agree, KIER has the most things to see if your looking for a little tourist distraction on your trip.

Interesting things about Natchitoches, LA (KIER)

Natchitoches, LA was once the capital of Texas. (The capital was actually at Robeline, just out of Natchitoches, but no one has ever heard of Robeline.)

Steel Magnolias was filmed there.

They have an amazing Christmas light/fireworks display along the Cane River starting around Thanksgiving.

It is the center of Louisiana Creole culture.

Melrose Plantation was the home of primitive artist Clementine Hunter.

Their signature food is the Natchitoches meat pie.

They have a courtesy car at the FBO.

Last edited:
La overnight

If you not planning on sightseeing and just need a place to sleep consider Jennings La (3R7) about 60 miles S of Pineville. There is a taxiway and ramp for the hotels on the East side of field and good food next door. If you do want a break I highly recommend KIER and the downtown area.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I live in Pineville and would recommend landing in a corn field over 2L0. They are criminals. KESF is a much better airport with cheaper fuel. Neither have cars, KAEX would be better for that, but they do charge a landing fee where the other two don’t.

KIER is a much better choice as others have said.

I live in Pineville and would recommend landing in a corn field over 2L0. They are criminals. KESF is a much better airport with cheaper fuel. Neither have cars, KAEX would be better for that, but they do charge a landing fee where the other two don’t.

KIER is a much better choice as others have said.

How's the weather in the area this time of year,, still having afternoon T-storms?

Weather

The daily rain, huricanes and T-storms have finally abated. In fact, October is supposed to be our driest month. We hit our avg annual rainfall amount in August; so, statistically, we should have no precipitation for the rest of the year. By the way, if you start seeing blue tarps on all the roofs, you'll know that you're too far south and should turn around.

Update:

Thanks again for the information.
Trip is complete,,
RON at AEX,,, Millionair.
Fuel was pricey but the facility was clean.
Staff was helpful & friendly.

So it was worth it.
Most important: free ice cream :)

Back