What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

True airspeed question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
This has probably been asked before but what kind of true airspeed are you getting and a quick rundown of your setup. I only have about 7 hours on my -7 but seems to be 163 kts. at 75% at 5000 feet, I have an IO 360 constant speed James cowl, wheel pants, and plenum.
Thanks in advance!

Charles, that sounds a little slow for max speed, but with 7 hrs, you probably should wait until the oil change, FWF check out, ASI calibration then recheck.

I do my checks at 8000DA as converted by G3X. A BA prop is likely best at 2700 rpm, but mine is 2650. You will need to have the engine warm - 25 min running, then get to 8000DA, stable, and sweep the A/F for best speed. You can try EGT numbers, but your speed will be max at ROP best power by definition.

It usually takes a few minutes to adjust to each mixture adjustment - -even a tiny one. Then let us know, engine, ignition, prop, FF and finally the KTAS.

Yours is a timely post, I was just sitting here thinking about a poll to get these numbers!!:D

This has probably been asked before but what kind of true airspeed are you getting and a quick rundown of your setup. I only have about 7 hours on my -7 but seems to be 163 kts. at 75% at 5000 feet, I have an IO 360 constant speed James cowl, wheel pants, and plenum.
Thanks in advance!

180 hp did not figure the density alt about 95 on the ground, kts on gps averaged from multiple passes

My GRT Sport EX EFIS will do all the math and provide TAS and Density altitude in the exported CSV file - I guess most EFIS systems will do this.

Bill, If you do a poll please be sure to specify the method to get these numbers so we have more similar data. I think it would be a lot of fun to see various numbers including FF, RPM, DA, KTAS.

Back