What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crystal River, FL

ALagonia

Well Known Member
We’re thinking of flying our 9 down to Crystal River, FL for a few days in the next few weeks, me, wife and 10 lb poodle. Never been before so any tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Hangar space, hotel, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Not sure if the time of year is right but that river is loaded with Manatees a lot of the time and you can take boat tours to go snorkeling/diving with them. You can even see them on Google maps.

When I was getting my PPL at KLAL Crystal River was a great flight. This thread brings back memories.

Not sure if the time of year is right but that river is loaded with Manatees a lot of the time and you can take boat tours to go snorkeling/diving with them. You can even see them on Google maps.

When I was getting my PPL at KLAL Crystal River was a great flight. This thread brings back memories.
When is the best time of the year to visit? We’re in North Georgia and always looking for places to fly to.

When is the best time of the year to visit? We’re in North Georgia and always looking for places to fly to.
Winter is always the best time to visit Florida, for obvious reasons. It's also the time the Manatees head into the river seeking warmer water.

Winter is always the best time to visit Florida, for obvious reasons. It's also the time the Manatees head into the river seeking warmer water.

+1 on all accounts. In the winter you also don’t have to worry much about any extreme thunderstorms. Summertime it’s pretty much a guarantee from about 3-6pm.

I took my CFI checkride there with a lady examiner. Her husband was a navy pilot.. wonderful people! I would look them up and start there. I believe they had a flight school and hangars..

It can get busy with students (50nm from Orlando) doing their XC. Known for the Dairy Queen just off the runway. Greek restaurant, Olive Tree, about .5sm north is great for dinner. Breakfast is good at Grannie’s Country Kitchen about 1sm north. Small town FL with small town amenities.

Back