What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle Drill

Brian29

How often do you end up using an angle drill during the construction of an RV-10?
Trying to determine if I should buy a cheapo tool or something with a bit higher quality.
Cheers,
Brian

How often do you end up using an angle drill during the construction of an RV-10?
Trying to determine if I should buy a cheapo tool or something with a bit higher quality.
Cheers,
Brian

Brian. Absolutely the nicest tool after a pneumatic squeezer that I have purchased to build airplanes was my angle drill kit. Everytime I need it, I think 'greatest tool ever'. I also buy lots of spare bits (#40, #30 mostly).

Check ACS Part# 12-00883. I bought mine from Avery in the olden days and it still is as smooth and accurate as new. They are many places in construction where it is the ideal tool, and you can even thread countersink cutters onto the head. It also has a tiny Jacobs chuck for using regular bits.

Awesome tool. The all-in one pneumatic tool based on these may be slightly better for one-hand operation.

Don't buy anything cheap like the ones with the red plastic tip. They will chatter and wander.

VV

Angle attachment

On the 7A I rarely used an angle drill but my angle attachment got used a lot.
I ran a 1/4-28 die on the shaft. Used it for drilling, deburring ribs, clearing debris out of holes.

When you get one make sure it has the smallest "head" possible. Most of the time when you need an angle drill its in a location that is up against a skin and unless you have a very small head on the drill you won't be able to get perpendicular to the intended hole. The pneumatic angle drills with screw in bits are the best.

I tried one of the angle drill adapters, it worked, but found I needed 3 hands to make it work in tight spots. (holding the drill, work piece, and the adapter to prevent it from spinning)

I didn't really invest in angle drill till I was working on the fuse. While not needed very often, I did find it extremely useful when I did need it. Agree that I ended up getting a bunch of extremely short drill bits for the angle drill to get into those tight spots.

I didn’t use mine much but the times I did need it. It was wonderful to have. Necessary tool in my book.

I didn't use mine very often, but when I needed it there was nothing else that would have done the job.

I initially purchased the cheapest one from YardStore.com but found that it was too weak in torque. It would often catch and/or would not even start to turn when trying to slightly upsize a match drilled hole. The folks at YardStore were great, replacing it without question the first time, and then trading it for a larger more powerful slightly used model when the replacement was no better. So I ended up with their model 12690 (https://www.yardstore.com/acat-small-right-angle-drill) which I have been happy with.

Suggest you purchase a couple extra #40 and #30 bits, as they are easy to break and you can't get them at your local hardware store.

Cheers

I didn't use mine very often, but when I needed it there was nothing else that would have done the job.

I initially purchased the cheapest one from YardStore.com but found that it was too weak in torque. It would often catch and/or would not even start to turn when trying to slightly upsize a match drilled hole. The folks at YardStore were great, replacing it without question the first time, and then trading it for a larger more powerful slightly used model when the replacement was no better. So I ended up with their model 12690 (https://www.yardstore.com/acat-small-right-angle-drill) which I have been happy with.

Suggest you purchase a couple extra #40 and #30 bits, as they are easy to break and you can't get them at your local hardware store.

Cheers

This is the one I was looking at or jumping up a notch and getting the Sioux version. Appreciate it

I got a pneumatic angle drill from a surplus tool supplier years ago for a reasonable cost. I think it was Yardstore, Faber Surplus or something like that.

I don't use it often, but mostly in tight spots on the inside of aircraft, aftermarket and customizing stuff that is not part of the the standard kit. It did come in handy for the RV-7 Horiz Stab SB.

I like them so much, and use so often that I have three of them. Saves me time from switching bits.

Back